LINUX-L 2017

RAID management

Eben King <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 Sep 2017 14:59:12 -0400

text/plain

I have a RAID-1 setup (2x1 TB) that I use for media storage.  I want to
migrate to a new(er) set of disks, since the ones it's on are practacally
antiques at this point.  Being smarter than the average bear I copied some
of the most critical content (maybe 1/3 of the total) to an external HD, so
if the entire thing goes tits-up I still have them.  I just got a 2-bay USB3
dock so I figured I'd use it.  One disk was copied successfully, at least
about 2/3 of it.  Then something crapped out and I had to resume.  Assuming
I got if= and of= correct in dd, the rest should be copied successfully too.
  The other, I know I screwed up on.  I figured it would happen eventually.

So, what's the way that puts the least stress on the drives to expand the
RAID from one disk to two?  Also, what's a more, er, "user-tolerant" way to
duplicate disks that can be resumed?

--
-eben   [log in to unmask]
Since methane is eight times more effective as a greenhouse gas than