Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Birding the MINWR and more - Report Date 1-26-17
From: SUEREDFISH Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jan 2017 03:29:18 +0000

After almost 2 weeks of trying to find out if there were any birds to see in my area, I got out, and started looking for them. Someone said there was a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and some Vesper Sparrows around the Titusville Airport (TICO). I searched the fence line and was fortunate to find both birds there. The flycatcher was a juvy, but great bird to watch. Plenty of Vesper Sparrows mixed in with the Savannah Sparrows. You never know what you will see watching flycatchers. I got to see it simply jump up, and grab a Grasshopper. Then I saw it throw up a digested ball. If you look through the first page of my pictures you will see this sequence. My wife told me she saw some kind of ducks in a small pond in a housing development. Sure enough there were about 75 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks making this small pond their resting place during the day. Next I took a trip down to Viera Wetlands to see the Ash-throated Flycatcher, and the Smooth-billed Ani. I did not find the Flycatcher, but did get quick views of the Ani. After that I went further down the road to the hotel where there was a reported Goldeneye female. She was there feeding with two female Hooded Mergansers. I have see them before, but always from a long distance. Good to get close look at one finally. Not long after my trips I heard from a friend that Sparrows were starting to show up on the MINWR. Since those are my favorite species of birds I had to go check it out. It was good to see Field Sparrows again. I had not seen them in a while. I saw 4 or more on the Field Sparrow. Plenty of shore birds showing up on the dykes that you can travel on now. Still need a scope on most of them. In the old days all these birds would have been posted on Brdbrains. It is really sad to see private groups starting up keeping knowledge on the whereabouts of birds to themselves. I tried to join one, and was not allowed to. Anyhow I'll keep posting anything interesting I find on Florida Birds.

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/32375835571

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/32392826632

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/32116555740

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/32454389666