***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
PhD Position on Data Science (1.0 FTE)
The department of Cognitive Science & Artificial Intelligence at Tilburg
University is looking for an enthusiastic colleague for a PhD position
in the context of the MODUS research project funded by the German
research foundation (DFG). We are looking for a highly motivated person
that is interested in research on Data Science at the intersection of
Data Mining, Network Analysis, and Big Data.
Theme: Model-based Anomaly Analytics in Ubiquitous and Social
Interaction Networks (MODUS)
The goal of the MODUS project is to develop methods and approaches for
detecting and analyzing anomalous patterns ("anomalies") in ubiquitous
and social interaction networks. Examples of applications are
investigations of the spread of information, discovering events or
unusual topics in heterogeneous network data, and identification of
especially interesting or outstanding behavior of actors within
networks. Methods for anomaly detection and the formalization of
reference models will be investigated and evaluated on synthetic and
real-world data. The overall goal of the project is to improve the
accuracy of anomaly detection and to increase the transparency of the
computational anomaly-detection methods.
Profile & Tasks
The successful candidate is expected
* To perform scientific research in the domain of data science as
described above, at the intersection of
data mining, network analysis, and big data;
* To publish and present results at (international) venues & conferences;
* To publish results in high quality scientific journals;
The publications form the basis of the candidate’s PhD thesis.
* Have an MSc in Data Science, Computer Science, Artificial
Intelligence, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related discipline;
* Have a strong interest in data science and network research;
* Have excellent programming skills (e.g., in Python, R, Java) and be
* Be rigorous and disciplined when developing algorithms and software
according to high quality standards;
* Have good technical understanding of the statistical models used in
data science and social network analysis;
* Be interested in interdisciplinary collaboration;
* Be a fast learner, autonomous and creative, show dedication and be
* Possess good communication capabilities and be an efficient team worker;
* Have good academic writing and presentation skills.
* Be fluent in English, both spoken and written.
School and department
As of January 2018, the School of Humanities will become the School of
Humanities and Digital Sciences. One of its departments, Cognitive
Science & Artificial Intelligence, emphasizes innovative cutting-edge
research at the nexus of cognitive science and artificial intelligence.
It is affiliated with the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science
(www.jads.nl). Researchers in the Cognitive Science and Artificial
Intelligence track have access to computer clusters, experimental lab
facilities, and the virtual and mixed reality DAF Technology Lab and its
sensing technologies. Moreover, researchers play an important role in
Mind Labs (www.mind-labs.eu), an initiative that fosters collaborations
between knowledge institutions and corporations in the field of
interactive technologies and behavior.
For more information on this position, please contact the principal
investigator of the MODUS project:
Asst. Prof. Dr. habil. Martin Atzmueller ([log in to unmask], +31134664736).
What we offer
* A full-time position
* The selected candidate will start with a contract for one year,
concluded by an evaluation. Upon a positive outcome of the first-year
evaluation, the candidate will be offered an employment contract for the
remaining three years.
* The PhD candidate will be ranked in the Dutch university job ranking
system (UFO) as a PhD-student (promovendus) with a starting fulltime
salary of € 2.222 gross per month in the first year, increasing up to €
2.840 the fourth year.
* The selected candidate is expected to have written a PhD thesis, which
may be based on articles, by the end of the contract;
* A holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually);
* Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a temporary
tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The University
will apply for such an allowance on their behalf;
* The Faculty will provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation
(for foreign employees);
* Tilburg University is rated among the top Dutch employers and offers
very good fringe benefits (it is one of the best non-profit employers in
the Netherlands), also including excellent technical infrastructure,
savings schemes and excellent sport facilities. The collective labor
agreement of Tilburg University applies.
Applications should include:
* Cover letter,
* Detailed Curriculum Vitae,
* Copy of the university marks (grade list),
* Sample writing (e.g. a student paper, Master thesis or article),
* Two references.
Applications should be sent before December 6, 2017. The only way to
apply is online by following this link:
Interviews are expected to be held soon after the deadline.
Starting date of the position is as soon as possible, preferably by
January 1, 2018.
Asst. Prof. Dr. habil. Martin Atzmueller https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__martin.atzmueller.net&d=DwIDaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=poefq2cDdYLbSJHqIEPZfT_w6Z3z_hola3h5ADEjHo4&s=Bn0MTW6QR2vB77z21VZAg7GjOpqkzM2-LN1qkw4f-Tw&e=
Assistant Professor of Data Science, Tilburg University, CSAI/TiCC/JADS
Visiting Professor, Université Sorbonne Paris Cité, Machine Learning/A3
Email: [log in to unmask] | Phone: +31-(0)13 466 4736
SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional association for social
network researchers (http://www.insna.org). To unsubscribe, send
an email message to [log in to unmask] containing the line
UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.