Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2018

LINUX-L 2018

Re: installing the UF VPN client (Cisco AnyConnect) on Ubuntu 18.04

Scott Kostyshak <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:43:20 -0500

text/plain

Thanks for writing that up, Dan. That's good to know.

Does anyone use OpenConnect? I find it very reliable, and easy to set
up. There might be disadvantages that I'm not aware of. In any case,
here are some instructions that I wrote for setting it up on Ubuntu
18.04:

Although openconnect is the unofficial option, it has the following
advantages:

1. Easier installation
2. OpenConnect can receive potential updates whenever you update your system with apt-get
3. It is integrated into your desktop: you can turn it on or off with three clicks
4. It does not run in the background when you are not using it, like Cisco AnyConnect does
5. It is actively developed. You can see the change log here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__git.infradead.org_users_dwmw2_openconnect.git&d=DwIBAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=iUSCqQal-H20QF9or__3g2H9ORMheuOrwYuG_vCdc2g&m=KVe5RXCMMdz62IifEVw71sEffoY4qud4fviYXbeV1VU&s=kIZAVdGeUkgYUAjVOzC9sNBW_JkklleG1rcEAJJ46Vs&e=

Instructions to install and use OpenConnect in Ubuntu 18.04 are as follows:

1. You must first install the package "network-manager-openconnect-gnome", as follows:

   sudo apt-get install network-manager-openconnect-gnome

2. Then, go to Settings > Network, click "Add" and then "Cisco AnyConnect Compatible VPN (openconnect)"
   Under "Gateway", put "vpn.ufl.edu". Save (this will close the dialog).

3. The VPN is turned off by default. To turn it on:

   a. Click on the upper-right tray icon.
   b. Expand the VPN option.
   c. Click "connect".
   d. Enter your user name (do not append @ufl.edu), and password.