]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

R-USERS-L Home

R-USERS-L  2018

R-USERS-L 2018

R meetup and Data Carpentry Workshop on Feb 28 and Mar 1

"Toh,Kok Ben" <[log in to unmask]>

UF R Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Feb 2018 21:41:25 +0000

text/plain

Hi everyone,

This week's R meetup will be on Wednesday (Feb 28; 4-6pm) at Marston science library Room 136. I will be talking about using the package `purrr` on the first hour (4-5pm). purrr is one of the default tidyverse package that focuses on manipulating vectors and lists (instead of dataframe which is handled by `dplyr`). It is also getting popular as it helps to reduce the usage of for loops, reduce the repetitive code chunks (which is the warm bed of bugs, figuratively) and the code is often shorter and easier to read. I've been using purrr occasionally and find it quite useful, especially for people who are dealing with large number of objects. For example if you want to run linear regression on 1000 subsets of your data and extract the coefficients of the 1000 models, chances are the `map()` functions in purrr would save you time.

In the second hour (5-6pm), we invite everyone with R expertise or with R question/problem to hang out and we'll help each other out. We also love to hear from you about what types of analyses/projects are interesting for you.

For those of us who are interested in the basics of R and using R to explore and manipulate data, you are welcome to join us at the Data Carpentry workshop series on Thursday (Mar 1; 3-5pm) also at Marston science library Room 136. This week we will talk about using `OpenRefine` to work with messy data. OpenRefine is a powerful tool to work with large dataset. It has a graphical user interface and yet it has scripts that would automatically track any changes you made. This is perfect for anyone who wants something in between excel spreadsheet and R, or in the situation when data manipulation using R becomes too cumbersome. This is the last lesson of this data carpentry workshop series. Check the following webpage out for more information such as the learning material and schedule (https://ufrmeetup.github.io/2018-01-18-UF-R/).

Our website the group and the meetup is up at http://www.r-gators.com/. If you have any questions, suggestions and if you are interested in helping us out in the organization of this meetup, feel free to contact us (Justin: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Ben: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Shawn: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)! Also if you, or your friends or colleagues want to join the UF R User mailing list and keep up to date with our meetup and workshops and getting helps about R, sign up here (http://tinyurl.com/UFRUser).

Thank you.