]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

R-USERS-L Home

R-USERS-L  2018

R-USERS-L 2018

Opportunity to contribute to Data Carpentry lesson development

"Millar,Justin J" <[log in to unmask]>

UF R Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:49:10 +0000

text/plain

Hello UF R Users,

I wanted to pass along some information on the Data Carpentry lesson development meet up we will be hosting this Friday from 1 to 5 pm. If you're interested in contributing to the lesson development and/or learning how to use Git and GitHub then come by the UF Informatics Institute (which is opposite the Marston Science Library) this Friday.

Check out the information below and feel free to email me with any questions!
Justin Millar

# ----
Hi all,

The UF Carpentry Club would like to invite you to participate in the upcoming Carpentries Bug BBQ - a collaborative lesson development event for Carpentries workshops. Special focus will be given on preparing the Social Science and Geospatial lessons ready for teaching, so this is a great opportunity to provide input, contribute to a lesson to complete your instructor training, or get a sneak peak on lesson content!

*** Please pass along the message to those in your department if you think they would be interested! ***

## Event Details

  *   UF Informatics Institute Lecture Room (432 Newell Dr. CISE Bldg. E252)
  *   2018, April 13 - 1pm to 5pm EST
  *   no registration required, but please sign up in the etherpad (link below) so that we can get a headcount for snacks
  *   bring your {laptop, charger, enthusiasm!}
  *   show up @ 1pm - 2:30pm (optional) intro to Git/GitHub
## Important Links

  *   Sign up on the etherpad<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__pad.software-2Dcarpentry.org_2018-2D04-2D13-2DBug-2DBBQ&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=oFX3acw1yupqjrTdZrGzIthCaHP81OypMQ7aSI9blSY&e=>.
  *   Add the event<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__calendar.google.com_event-3Faction-3DTEMPLATE-26tmeid-3DMDhsZGxzMWFlMHRqY3RiaGRxaXB1b29ic3QgbGhvcGl0YWxpZmllZEBt-26tmsrc-3Dlhopitalified-2540gmail.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=0Te6IkUo2MRjo0w0dM05qxRfB_CR3nPUYkvy-Mtq3VA&e=> to your Google calendar.
  *   UF Site info<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_UF-2DCarpentry_Coordination_wiki_2018-2DApril-2DBug-2DBBQ-2DInfo&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=RO0Ms7xxOq-FIuw_hQAUFqqwfDkB7EsooOoH3pk6XZY&e=>
  *   Official website<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__carpentries.github.io_2018-2D04-2Dbug-2Dbbq_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=adT8qgITB-z4qp1-2h97qEOhihRL_x1Z0DpczQnLPXs&e=> for the Carpentries Bug BBQ
Detailed FAQ below.

Q: Do I have to participate for the whole time? I saw that the event starts on April 12 at 9am...

You are welcome to participate whenever you like. The Bug BBQ is a distributed, global event set up to provide focused effort on improving the Carpentries lessons. We are only planning to have a physical space set up at the designated time and location, but you can participate remotely.

Q: Do I need to know how to use Git/GitHub to participate?

From 1pm to 2:30pm, we will go over using Git and GitHub to participate, based off of the Software Carpentry lesson - https://swcarpentry.github.io/git-novice/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__swcarpentry.github.io_git-2Dnovice_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=Q8r6Xu15jKbi847uoiHxgnn_YxBr_nPsK7QGxEh6Bek&e=>. This is optional, so if you are already familiar with using GitHub and submitting pull requests, please feel free to show up at any time to participate. Several of us will also be around to help troubleshoot if you're feeling rusty, or use Git but haven't collaborated using GitHub before.

Q: Do I need to be familiar with coding and the lesson content to contribute?

Nope! The lessons will have a list of "issues" - existing problems to be fixed. Some of the issues may be tagged "good first issue", which will be accessible to everyone. Correcting typos and clarifying the existing writing are helpful, too, even if there is not a specific "issue" for that already. You can also create issues if you identify new problems or want to suggest improvements.

There will also be a chatroom where the lesson maintainers will help to coordinate the work.

Q: Can I work on the other Carpentries lessons (other than geospatial and social sciences)?

Yes! They may have fewer issues and the lesson maintainers may not be online to help guide contributions, but you are welcome to work on any of the lessons. You can do this at any time, actually, but with slightly less fanfare than a Bug BBQ event. :)

Q: What do I get out of it?

  *   Sadly, we can't pay you or give you course credit. However, your contributions to the lessons DO get recorded, so there is a public record for your work. Lesson are released publicly on Zenodo, which means that they come with DOIs that can be cited. For example, https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.838762<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__doi.org_10.5281_zenodo.838762&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=x4qYngt9272K_GyJvGVBf3i3-zeh9N3b-sCO1xMxy6U&e=>
  *   Since Carpentries workshops are taught worldwide and attended widely (we've had over 250 participants at UF alone in the last ~2 years), your contributions will also have a huge impact.
  *   Contributing to lessons is additionally a factor we consider for instructor training and a requirement for the checkout procedures for newly trained instructors.
  *   Did we mention the snacks?
Q: Where can I learn more?

The official website for the Carpentries Bug BBQ is https://carpentries.github.io/2018-04-bug-bbq/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__carpentries.github.io_2018-2D04-2Dbug-2Dbbq_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=adT8qgITB-z4qp1-2h97qEOhihRL_x1Z0DpczQnLPXs&e=>

The UF Carpentry Club is maintaining its own page to handle local info at UF here, which includes updates to this FAQ:
https://github.com/UF-Carpentry/Coordination/wiki/2018-April-Bug-BBQ-Info<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_UF-2DCarpentry_Coordination_wiki_2018-2DApril-2DBug-2DBBQ-2DInfo&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=_TrY8MNGyzlEB2kx1_kOcJU5X6sTU9hgWSHVkfmArIE&s=RO0Ms7xxOq-FIuw_hQAUFqqwfDkB7EsooOoH3pk6XZY&e=>