R meetup this week on Jan 22

"Toh,Kok Ben" <[log in to unmask]>

UF R Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:41:09 +0000

text/plain

Hi everyone,

It was great to see you during our first meetup and our data carpentry workshop. This week's R meetup will be on Wednesday (Jan 24; 4-6pm) at Marston science library Room 136. We'll also have a presentation for this week's meetup. So for the first hour (4-5pm), Qing Zhao, postdoc from the School of Forest Resources and Conservation will talk to us about species distribution model. He will show us an example of how he predicts lion beetle distribution in Alberta, Canada based on occurrence data, temperature and forest cover. In particular two R packages and techniques are used: (1) `earth` to conduct 'multivariate adaptive regression spline' (MARS) to account for non-linear relationship, and (2) `unmarked` to fit occupancy model which accounts for observation error/bias. We think it is useful for people who want to model species distribution or who want to learn more about fitting nonlinear model to our data.

In the second hour (5-6pm), we invite everyone with R expertise or with R question/problem to hang out and we'll help each other out. We also love to hear from you about what types of analyses/projects are interesting for you.

For those of us who are interested in the basics of R and using R to explore and manipulate data, you are welcome to join us at the Data Carpentry workshop series on Thursday (Jan 25; 3-5pm) also at Marston science library Room 136. This week's lesson will be about data organization. The workshop series is held on every Thursday until March 1. Check the following webpage out for more information such as the learning material and schedule (https://ufrmeetup.github.io/2018-01-18-UF-R/).

Our website the group and the meetup is up at http://www.r-gators.com/. If you have any questions, suggestions and if you are interested in helping us out in the organization of this meetup, feel free to contact us (Justin: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Ben: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Shawn: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)! Also if you, or your friends or colleagues want to join the UF R User mailing list and keep up to date with our meetup and workshops and getting helps about R, sign up here (http://tinyurl.com/UFRUser).

Thank you.