R meetup this week on Jan 31

"Toh,Kok Ben" <[log in to unmask]>

UF R Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:32:49 +0000

text/plain

Hi everyone,

This week's R meetup will be on Wednesday (Jan 31; 4-6pm) at Marston science library Room 136. Simona Picardi, graduate student from the Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation and Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center will give us a presentation on the first hour (4-5pm). She will share with us about her experience working with wildlife tracking data in R. Here's a blurb about the presentation: "Technological advancements in wildlife tracking techniques in the last decades have provided ecologists with extensive data on animal movements. This has triggered a need for the development of tools and methods to manage and analyze such large volumes of tracking data. I am going to present an introduction to the management and handling of animal tracking data in R using the package `adehabitatLT`, and demonstrate an example of a path segmentation method to isolate different behavioral phases within an animal's trajectory. "

In the second hour (5-6pm), we invite everyone with R expertise or with R question/problem to hang out and we'll help each other out. We also love to hear from you about what types of analyses/projects are interesting for you.

For those of us who are interested in the basics of R and using R to explore and manipulate data, you are welcome to join us at the Data Carpentry workshop series on Thursday (Feb 1; 3-5pm) also at Marston science library Room 136. This week's we will start talking about working with data in R. More specifically, we'll learn how to load external data into R, summarization and basic manipulation of the data in R. The workshop series is held on every Thursday until March 1. Check the following webpage out for more information such as the learning material and schedule (https://ufrmeetup.github.io/2018-01-18-UF-R/).

Our website the group and the meetup is up at http://www.r-gators.com/. If you have any questions, suggestions and if you are interested in helping us out in the organization of this meetup, feel free to contact us (Justin: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Ben: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Shawn: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)! Also if you, or your friends or colleagues want to join the UF R User mailing list and keep up to date with our meetup and workshops and getting helps about R, sign up here (http://tinyurl.com/UFRUser).

Thank you.