]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

R-USERS-L Home

R-USERS-L  2018

R-USERS-L 2018

Software/Data Carpentry Instructor Training next month

"Millar,Justin J" <[log in to unmask]>

UF R Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Feb 2018 17:40:50 +0000

text/plain

Hello UF R Users,

Software and Data Carpentry will be hosting an Instructor Training workshop at the University of Florida on March 5-6. Becoming a certified Carpentry instructor will allow you to organize official Software and Data Carpentry workshops. Applicants do not need to be an expert in R (or the other Carpentry programs), and they do not have to have attended a previous workshop. Information on the workshop is included below, the deadline to apply is February 14th:

We will be hosting an instructor training workshop for becoming certified as a Carpentries instructor on March 5-6, 2018 and we invite you to apply. The purpose of the Carpentries organization, which is a merger between the pre-existing Software Carpentry (https://software-carpentry.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__software-2Dcarpentry.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=zr0TdPvEoiJSpNAjLD1XIz8lXh8SZwuq8nmI446jAJc&s=HJWCyZCjRHnPEMQmtxeI970bKUwu5L4YXZ5tLNqr76w&e=>) and Data Carpentry (http://www.datacarpentry.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.datacarpentry.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=zr0TdPvEoiJSpNAjLD1XIz8lXh8SZwuq8nmI446jAJc&s=T_BWkW7EC_b_wTqZyNWThftVGCGC2LtU9zvemoVSSaM&e=>), is to run workshops that provide better computational skills to scientists, including in various programming languages.

The upcoming 2-day training workshop is to train instructors to use educational pedagogy and best instructional practices while teaching Data and Software Carpentry workshops. Once certified, instructors are able to teach two-day Carpentries workshops. There are opportunities to do so at UF, as at least half a dozen workshops are run each year by the UF Carpentries Club. Volunteer instructors are also always needed around the United States in the greater Carpentries community.

There is more information about the workshop here: https://fmichonneau.github.io/2018-03-05-UF-ttt/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fmichonneau.github.io_2018-2D03-2D05-2DUF-2Dttt_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=zr0TdPvEoiJSpNAjLD1XIz8lXh8SZwuq8nmI446jAJc&s=BR_xwMz8lcDDh5_TImozHDL7VPCqRDlJ4bGbOMbVl7I&e=>. This workshop is open to everyone in the UF community, please distribute this information widely.
If you are interested, please fill out the application at https://amy.software-carpentry.org/forms/request_training/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__amy.software-2Dcarpentry.org_forms_request-5Ftraining_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=QDPfBzhanBI0ClPJxfy0pSql4VR4ogyG6IjE-HrwxTIRaIkJ9DZiQNF1KYVu6v4v&m=zr0TdPvEoiJSpNAjLD1XIz8lXh8SZwuq8nmI446jAJc&s=okHyUhY-pqpJX4I4vhlN05rcqd1CY2vnKwdTP7ZW50E&e=>. Include the code 2018-03-05-ttt-florida in the "Group name" box to specify the UF training, and you can ignore the information in the yellow box on the page. The deadline to fill out the application is the end of the day on February 14 and we will send out acceptance notifications February 16.
If you are interested in more information about the Carpentries and becoming an instructor, feel free to contact me!

Justin Millar
PhD Candidate | University of Florida
Forest Resources and Conservation | Emerging Pathogens Institute
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 248-229-8782 | 409 McCarty C
http://justinmillar.com/