]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

R-USERS-L Home

R-USERS-L  2018

R-USERS-L 2018

R meetup and Data carpentry workshop this week (Feb 14 and Feb 15)

"Toh,Kok Ben" <[log in to unmask]>

UF R Users List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Feb 2018 22:17:08 +0000

text/plain

Hi everyone,

This week's R meetup will be on Wednesday (Feb 14; 4-6pm) at Marston science library Room 136. Michael Hesslar will give us a presentation on the first hour (4-5pm). He will share with us about some useful R tips to improve and speeding up our R code. R can be quite notoriously slow in loops, and you've probably heard (or seen) people talking about avoiding loops. Certain "tricks" such as vectorization and conditional formatting can help us to avoid unnecessary loops altogether, while others such as memory pre-allocation can speed up our loops. Michael will also talk about benchmarking & profiling the speed of our R code.

In the second hour (5-6pm), we invite everyone with R expertise or with R question/problem to hang out and we'll help each other out. We also love to hear from you about what types of analyses/projects are interesting for you.

For those of us who are interested in the basics of R and using R to explore and manipulate data, you are welcome to join us at the Data Carpentry workshop series on Thursday (Feb 15; 3:30-5:30pm) also at Marston science library Room 136. Please note that this week's workshop starts at 3:30pm instead of 3pm. This week we will talk about visualizing data using ggplot2. Data visualization is one of the first few steps for us to understand our data. While base R comes with very powerful plotting tools, `ggplot2` has become very popular alongside with what we've learned last week, `dplyr`. The package allows us to produce nice looking and yet complex plots in a relatively simple manner. The workshop series is held on every Thursday until March 1. Check the following webpage out for more information such as the learning material and schedule (https://ufrmeetup.github.io/2018-01-18-UF-R/).

Our website the group and the meetup is up at http://www.r-gators.com/. If you have any questions, suggestions and if you are interested in helping us out in the organization of this meetup, feel free to contact us (Justin: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Ben: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Shawn: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)! Also if you, or your friends or colleagues want to join the UF R User mailing list and keep up to date with our meetup and workshops and getting helps about R, sign up here (http://tinyurl.com/UFRUser).

Thank you.