]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  March 2018, Week 1

RECMGMT-L March 2018, Week 1

"Classified Presidential Library Records to be Moved to DC"

Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Mar 2018 11:26:15 -0500

text/plain

From Secrecy News, Steven Aftergood's well-regarded Washington newsletter,
information on procedural changes in the handling of declassification of
national security classified records in the presidential libraries
administered by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fas.org_blogs_secrecy_2018_03_nara-2Dconsolidation_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=bcf8P9Svo-X8oo2qt3vb1MEY1lzotMkx330jeMzneJY&e=
or shortened link
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2FmAz5i&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=2ex68C4xjSVNPOhTunc_pPqFiZlwtkGTKLZKdibcYFU&e=

Of particular interest in the description of moving all security classified
records from the presidential libraries to Washington is NARA Chief
Operating Officer Jay Bosanko's reply when asked if there are subsets of
classified records that could be declassified onsite at the presidential
libraries.

Jay gives his personal opinion and then adds a realistic explanation of
current realities.  (I've known Jay since 1994 and regard him as the best
authority on records classification issues at NARA. Prior to becoming COO
on January 1, 2013, he served starting in March 2011 as NARA Executive for
Agency Services, which includes records management policy, information
security oversight, and records declassification.)

Having worked on access to classified records created in the White House, I
would add that there can be anomalies including unmarked information that
derives from classified or reflects "spillage."  But also overly broad
blanket marking, such as Nixon chief of staff H. R.(Bob) Haldeman's marking
his entire journal (stored in WH files) as "Top Secret."

As the team leader for the archival processing of Bob Haldeman's journals
(diaries of his work in the White House), one of my first assignments was
determining what  actually appeared to be actually national security
classified and what was not but might require review for other
restrictions.  I worked with the National Security Council to craft
guidance on the former, which my team then used in this work. We used
similar guidance in doing disclosure review of the Nixon tapes, which had
no national security portion markings at all.

I touched on this in a Twitter thread with former CIA official David Priess
(author, The President's Book of Secrets) last year.  Scroll down
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_ArchivesMaarja_status_828745894996631554&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=7ujRa3jVHa_jEWxqyFOLgU1Nic5pfqw_Wy7PxWu-cGY&e=
or shortened URL
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2FoFrGZ&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=9iOnq4XLJnetTqaVq3i07ozvcvXu271UtS-_W72fMJo&e=

Haldeman's interest in preserving a record of his work extended to the oral
history interviews we later did with him.  They contain some of the best
and most candid insights I've heard on what it is like to work as an
at-will key senior aide who sometimes had to comply with President Nixon's
directives and at other times was able to slow wlak them until reversed.

Bob Haldeman had a genuine appreciation of history (see what he said to me
in the photo at link above) and made clear to us that he had nothing to
lose, talking to us candidly on the record when we interviewed him.  By
that he meant he already had served prison time for Watergate related
activities and also knew that due to our work with the Nixon tapes and his
diaries, we "knew it all."  So he felt safe being relatively open with us.

On classification challenges generally, the 2012 report by the Public
Interest Declassification Board (an outstanding bipartisan group supported
by NARA's Information Security Oversight Office) is well worth reading.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.archives.gov_declassification_pidb_recommendations_transforming-2Dclassification.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=FL911dE9LoT_T-OnO4CQ4QPj22oRATgATbEPKdDuAv4&e=

or shortened link
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2tm6ptg&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=1D0p-PIr_GKMYDEw9dhgl5mLqJY-CP-pMBJFfCCBvFQ&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2tm6ptg&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=1D0p-PIr_GKMYDEw9dhgl5mLqJY-CP-pMBJFfCCBvFQ&e=>

I find noteworthy the PIDB's recognition in 2012 of "safe harbor" as an
element for which the presence or absence affects risk taking in handling
records, but it can be rare.

Maarja
Washington, DC
Blog:  Archival Explorations
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIBaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=M9w9EiUVseNwfwYL3XfJ_a_p01pkkSS20g9m5V5GfeY&s=Bz2AxlIpAexRxCoqD_iI994IhW1J9c7MbI-7qrvJX4k&e=