Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Cyber Blackmail: More Than Just Ransomware
From: PeterK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 May 2018 09:45:27 -0500

Ransomware, which is when a criminal encrypts an organization’s data and
then demands payment before releasing the key required to reverse the
encryption that is holding the victim’s data hostage, has made
international headlines lately. The city of Atlanta’s operations were
virtually dragged to a halt after an unmet demand for roughly $50,000 in
ransom ended up essentially crippling the city’s government and has already
cost at least $2.7 million dollars in recovery efforts to date.[1]  This
type of attack is not new, but is making more headlines, with
Connecticut[2], Colorado[3], hospitals, and even aid groups for children in
Ontario[4] falling victim.  The plethora of attacks has sent security
professionals and system administrators scrambling to ensure their systems
and backups are safe, and executives taking a second look at their cyber
security programs.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2rAGVce&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=AE3n6ZzagCdrD6ukL9V-GxzhKwIswaqbFZcvTrQk2lQ&s=zoo26nymLEwXFz4GVZeZjURP979g5dcwT_fY4lRyNHQ&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2rAGVce-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=AE3n6ZzagCdrD6ukL9V-GxzhKwIswaqbFZcvTrQk2lQ&s=1Bze7Mosjd3qls0ur42bpzblHyQHJv3jsd3AK4P1SAI&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx