Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Mundaneum: the Belgian archive that anticipated the internet
From: PeterK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Jun 2018 21:38:45 -0500

Down a narrow cobbled street in Mons, a small medieval town in south
Belgium, there is an archive that claims to hold all the world’s knowledge
– on paper.

At least, that was the original premise of the Mundaneum, also known as the
paper Google, the proto-Wikipedia and even the precursor to the internet
itself.

Going back a step to the late 19th century, two Belgian lawyers shared the
noble goal of collecting the world’s information and classifying it with
their revolutionary system: the Universal Decimal Classification (UDC),
still used all over the world today.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ind.pn_2l16QpS&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=XaVq6ZcegF9wXrk4JLgShwSVSoFYnl8FK9gUBCc-KZ0&s=9Ke1adPNYuWIQZE9tDk7OkPho54OO7qyVNTpHQlP8Qc&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ind.pn_2l16QpS-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=XaVq6ZcegF9wXrk4JLgShwSVSoFYnl8FK9gUBCc-KZ0&s=Go0HtXojQN4t_HIMpB3_-Oa5zoBhGUElii1S_poIymw&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx