Latest Complexity Digest Posts (fwd)

Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:00:22 -0500

Happy Festivus, The Airing of Greivances:
the perfect holiday for oy vey-ing social scientists
and once we aid patterning to it, useful for social network analysts

Selected complexity posts below
   Barry Wellman

   Step by step, link by link, putting it together--Streisand/Sondheim
        The earth to be spannd, connected by network--Walt Whitman
              It's Always Something--Roseanne Roseannadanna

              A day like all days, filled with those events
          that alter and illuminate our times--Walter Cronkite
   NetLab Network FRSC
   Distinguished Visiting Scholar Social Media Lab Ryerson University
         Founder, International Network for Social Network Analysis
   NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System Lee Rainie & Barry Wellman
   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.chass.utoronto.ca_-7Ewellman&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=tU3H2MXM3mRjRCmFQUProiBCsOEZy1z1bhVMjDfmk8s&e= https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__amzn.to_zXZg39&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=eEuW4lLD7nfepuZyFE_uPH-XoNG4EvqxVf2m0f0KLxI&e=
              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Barry-5FWellman&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=QTziQVFNI91z8IOzVtHtbGTirRFFsdU9kH2GGX3549Y&e=

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 12:05:06 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Def7f2776b6-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=FKz2DMFayYtewQ0vVbFUVY-UZnPME4gRncrkfeHn3SM&e=

The role of industry-specific, occupation-specific, and location-specific knowledge in the growth and survival of new firms

    How do regions acquire the knowledge they need to diversify their economic activities? How does the migration of workers among firms and industries contribute to the diffusion of that knowledge? Here we measure the industry-, occupation-, and location-specific knowledge carried by workers from one establishment to the next, using a dataset summarizing the individual work history for an entire country. We study pioneer firms˙˙firms operating in an industry that was not present in a region˙˙because the success of pioneers is the basic unit of regional economic diversification. We find that the growth and survival of pioneers increase significantly when their first hires are workers with experience in a related industry and with work experience in the same location, but not with past experience in a related occupation. We compare these results with new firms that are not pioneers and find that industry-specific knowledge is significantly more important for pioneer than for
nonpioneer firms. To address endogeneity we use Bartik instruments, which leverage national fluctuations in the demand for an activity as shocks for local labor supply. The instrumental variable estimates support the finding that industry-specific knowledge is a predictor of the survival and growth of pioneer firms. These findings expand our understanding of the micromechanisms underlying regional economic diversification.

The role of industry-specific, occupation-specific, and location-specific knowledge in the growth and survival of new firms
C. Jara-Figueroa, Bogang Jun, Edward L. Glaeser, and Cesar A. Hidalgo
PNAS December 11, 2018 115 (50) 12646-12653; published ahead of print December 10, 2018 https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D96c55f9a36-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=o_zgxZgbO1Kr0ZKph1i5EQMDExUJa9vVhEgpYJ2licc&e=

Source: www.pnas.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Dde2c5c2dca-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=fxjmFvYKZEIWz1nlRfjJT-w1HMce4f4wYSWgCyxEQAg&e=)

The strength of long-range ties in population-scale social networks

    Long-range connections that span large social networks are widely assumed to be weak, composed of sporadic and emotionally distant relationships. However, researchers historically have lacked the population-scale network data needed to verify the predicted weakness. Using data from 11 culturally diverse population-scale networks on four continents˙˙encompassing 56 million Twitter users and 58 million mobile phone subscribers˙˙we find that long-range ties are nearly as strong as social ties embedded within a small circle of friends. These high-bandwidth connections have important implications for diffusion and social integration.

The strength of long-range ties in population-scale social networks
Patrick S. Park, Joshua E. Blumenstock, Michael W. Macy
Science 21 Dec 2018:
Vol. 362, Issue 6421, pp. 1410-1413
DOI: 10.1126/science.aau9735

Source: science.sciencemag.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Df8a856d259-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=JFrbr1vfVoGMXvL_Fx2ihIbYwsLbOM62I436p_eRqKA&e=)

Complex Networks: Theory, Methods, and Applications ˙˙ Lake Como School of Advanced Studies ˙˙ May 13-17, 2019

    Many real systems can be modeled as networks, where the elements of the system are nodes and interactions between elements are edges. An even larger set of systems can be modeled using dynamical processes on networks, which are in turn affected by the dynamics. Networks thus represent the backbone of many complex systems, and their theoretical and computational analysis makes it possible to gain insights into numerous applications. Networks permeate almost every conceivable discipline---including sociology, transportation, economics and finance, biology, and myriad others---and the study of "network science" has thus become a crucial component of modern scientific education.

The school "Complex Networks: Theory, Methods, and Applications" offers a succinct education in network science. It is open to all aspiring scholars in any area of science or engineering who wish to study networks of any kind (whether theoretical or applied), and it is especially addressed to doctoral students and young postdoctoral scholars. The aim of the school is to deepen into both theoretical developments and applications in targeted fields.

LECTURERS
--- IAIN COUZIN, Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, and University of Konstanz
--- TINA ELIASSI-RAD, Northeastern University
--- SONIA KEFI, CNRS-Université de Montpellier
--- VITO LATORA, Queen Mary University of London
--- GIOVANNI PETRI, ISI Foundation, Turin

Source: ntme.lakecomoschool.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D7284f0d1cb-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=XuNvhwo7NEYp7T5fOrvxMRG5kGh1D8fPqu2AGueeOfk&e=)

Cohesion, order and information flow in the collective motion of mixed-species shoals

    Despite the frequency with which mixed-species groups are observed in nature, studies of collective behaviour typically focus on single-species groups. Here, we quantify and compare the patterns of interactions between three fish species, threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus), ninespine sticklebacks (Pungitius pungitius) and roach (Rutilus rutilus) in both single- and mixed-species shoals in the laboratory. Pilot data confirmed that the three species form both single- and mixed-species shoals in the wild. In our laboratory study, we found that single-species groups were more polarized than mixed-species groups, while single-species groups of threespine sticklebacks and roach were more cohesive than mixed shoals of these species. Furthermore, while there was no difference between the inter-individual distances between threespine and ninespine sticklebacks within mixed-species groups, there was some evidence of segregation by species in mixed groups of threespine
sticklebacks and roach. There were differences between treatments in mean pairwise transfer entropy, and in particular we identify species-differences in information use within the mixed-species groups, and, similarly, differences in responses to conspecifics and heterospecifics in mixed-species groups. We speculate that differences in the patterns of interactions between species in mixed-species groups may determine patterns of fission and fusion in such groups.

Cohesion, order and information flow in the collective motion of mixed-species shoals
Ashley J. W. Ward , T. M. Schaerf , A. L. J. Burns , J. T. Lizier , E. Crosato , M. Prokopenko and M. M. Webster

Royal Society Open Science

Source: royalsocietypublishing.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D571f2e6057-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=xkH0y4-tDIvPsbyRiOUtNIZIEL-QnwVxe5FNv9TUj8w&e=)

Connecting empirical phenomena and theoretical models of biological coordination across scales

    Coordination is ubiquitous in living systems. Existing theoretical models of coordination -- from bacteria to brains -- focus on either gross statistics in large-scale systems (N˙˙˙˙) or detailed dynamics in small-scale systems (mostly N=2). Both approaches have proceeded largely independent of each other. The present work bridges this gap with a theoretical model of biological coordination that captures key experimental observations of mid-scale social coordination at multiple levels of description. It also reconciles in a single formulation two well-studied models of large- and small-scale biological coordination (Kuramoto and extended Haken-Kelso-Bunz). The model adds second-order coupling (from extended Haken-Kelso-Bunz) to the Kuramoto model. We show that second-order coupling is indispensable for reproducing empirically observed phenomena and gives rise to a phase transition from mono- to multi-stable coordination across scales. This mono-to-multistable transition
connects the emergence and growth of behavioral complexity in small and large systems.

Connecting empirical phenomena and theoretical models of biological coordination across scales
Mengsen Zhang, Christopher Beetle, J. A. Scott Kelso, Emmanuelle Tognoli

Source: arxiv.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D2c03859e6e-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=1UscDUEAmwZ7KGKIX3o5tNUILt87w-2Dwu-CIzja8V4&e=)

Antifragility of Random Boolean Networks

    Antifragility is a property that enhances the capability of a system in response to external perturbations. Although the concept has been applied in many areas, a practical measure of antifragility has not been developed yet. Here we propose a simply calculable measure of antifragility, based on the change of "satisfaction" before and after adding perturbations, and apply it to random Boolean networks (RBNs). Using the measure, we found that ordered RBNs are the most antifragile. Also, we demonstrate that seven biological systems are antifragile. Our measure and results can be used in various applications of Boolean networks (BNs) including creating antifragile engineering systems, identifying the genetic mechanism of antifragile biological systems, and developing new treatment strategies for various diseases.

Antifragility of Random Boolean Networks
Omar K. Pineda, Hyobin Kim, Carlos Gershenson

Source: arxiv.org (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3Dfffb0fc5d7-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=oTP-xCR680-mhqX6AkW35HKcAVEOeYosLxUuzzOX4TQ&e=)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unam.us4.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b-26id-3D35ad6ab4e7-26e-3D55e25a0e3e&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=0kuXB46bAEu06GD1AwsB7m9A-03LunDuJhnhF2nPlRI&s=FLLKTkg0VrN7ivMix36tblimCAUz_jbktUl04-4U8Gw&e= ) and using the "Suggest" button.