Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: LRNASST-L Digest - 10 Feb 2020 to 11 Feb 2020 - Special issue (#2020-75)

Cristina Caputo <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Feb 2020 01:34:53 +0000

text/plain

Open Labs vs. Appts.:

We are a 4 year Hispanic Serving State College which offers Bachelor degrees that serves roughly 4,800-5,000 students each semester. Our center originally started out by offering solely appointment based tutoring; over the last several years we have significantly expanded our drop-in services, including open Math and Science tutoring labs for high demand courses. The reason for expanding is because of our rapid enrollment growth (30% in less than two years) and our study body needs (accessibility for our non-traditional and first generation student population). We are 100 % commuter campus as well, however we will be rolling out campus housing this coming fall. We still offer appointment based tutoring in addition to online tutoring sessions and the open/drop-in labs.

Lastly, we've seen that holding our open/drop-in Math and Science tutoring labs in highly visible spaces near the classrooms for those courses makes tutoring more accessible and human; helping to minimize the stigma typically associated with tutoring. The biggest challenge with holding the labs in accessible and visible places is the lack of space available on our campus. We are growing faster than we can keep up with so that has required creative solutions.

Happy to chat more offline if interested!

Best,
Cristina

Cristina Caputo
Director
ACADEMIC SUCCESS CENTER
Nevada State College

BE CONNECTED  OFFICE 702.992.2991 | [log in to unmask]
BE HERE  1300 Nevada State Drive  |  RSC 256  |  Henderson, NV 89002
BE INFORMED  Visit nsc.edu for campus news and program information.
BE SOCIAL