SOCNET June 2021

ACM RecSys 2021 - Third Call for Demos

ACM RecSys <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jun 2021 11:53:58 -0000

text/plain

* We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this CfP *
* For the online version of this Call, visit: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__recsys.acm.org_recsys21_call_&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=qPcClZBXPKGGCoUnMEEwRpwihwQpTJKNgSUAAm-g2iI&s=HyZWsZEZF4MTVQDqaUHVQfB7gBzmqvlUjaKklfxmfiw&e=  *
* PCS submissions are now open here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__new.precisionconference.com_sigchi&d=DwIGaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=yQQsvTNAnbvDXGM4nDrXAje4pr0qHX2qIOcCQtJ5k3w&m=qPcClZBXPKGGCoUnMEEwRpwihwQpTJKNgSUAAm-g2iI&s=UdUSTy7jZ79Po_1hSG5fYEFRTOr6jcf-nYmzt-kiGj4&e=  *
* Only 2 weeks left *

Demos show implementations of novel, interesting, and important recommender systems’ concepts or applications. Allowing potential users to see and use a demo of a research work makes them excited about it – it makes the work real and tangible. Demos also allow researchers from academia and developers from small start-ups to large industries to present new recommender ideas and get valuable feedback from the recommender systems community.

We welcome new demonstrations of recommendation technologies coming from diverse communities ranging from psychology to mathematics. In particular, we care as much about the human and economic impact of these systems as we care about their underlying algorithms.

The conference will continue RecSys’ practice of connecting the research and practitioner communities to exchange ideas, frame problems, and share solutions. RecSys has an excellent history of being well-attended by industry representatives — past conferences have had attendees and presenters from Netflix, Amazon, Booking, Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, Criteo, Pandora, Spotify, etc. The blend of industry and academic attention provides an excellent environment to demonstrate and discuss latest inventions or ideas.

We invite demonstrations relevant to all aspects of recommender systems, including, but not limited to:

*Interaction techniques (preference elicitation interfaces, recommendation presentation, explanations, and more)
*Tools for development and analysis of recommender systems (design tools, evaluation systems, analytics tools)
*Innovative applications of recommender systems
*Recommender user experiments
*Recommender platforms

Accepted demonstrations will be published in the conference proceedings as an extended abstract. Authors will also be required to present a poster of their work at the conference.

In addition, this year’s conference will introduce a novel “Best Demo Award”, recognized to a demonstration providing outstanding contributions to the community.

As this year’s call for papers states, research papers that include a demo component might have a slot in the Demos track. Authors of research papers can use the submission form of the main track to express their interest to present the demo component of their work; in case of acceptance, they will be contacted by the Demos chairs, with no need to start a new demo submission. Authors of rejected papers that expressed their interest to present their demo component are invited to start a new submission process as a demo, following this call for demos.

REVIEWING PROCESS

Reviewers will evaluate demos based on their significance, originality, and contribution to the field. In view of the RecSys conference goal of advancing the field, reviewers are also asked to consider the replicability of reported research. Sharing of data sets and code is encouraged (as indicated in the “Contents” section) and will be part of the review process. Given the mixed conference format, the audio and video quality of the accompanying screencast will be evaluated.

Demos that are out of scope, incomplete, or lack sufficient evidence to support the basic claims, may be rejected without full review.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

All submissions and reviews will be handled electronically. Demonstrations must be submitted to PCS by 23:59, AoE (Anywhere on Earth) on July 13th, 2021.

Contents
The description of the demo must include the following:

An overview of the algorithm or system that is the core of the demo, including citations to any publications that support the work.
A discussion of the purpose and the novelty of the demo.
A description of the required setup. If the system will feature an installable component (e.g., mobile app) or website for users to use throughout or after the conference, please mention this.
A link to a narrated screen capture of your system in action, ideally a video. The maximum duration of screen capture is 10 minutes. (This section will be removed for the camera-ready version of accepted contributions but might be included in the virtual platform used to host the online part of the conference.)
We also highly encourage any external material related to the demo (e.g., shared code on GitHub). Please, provide a link to the shared code in the extended abstract accompanying the demo.

Formatting
ACM is changing the archive format of its publications to separate content from presentation in the new Digital Library, enhance accessibility, and improve the flexibility and resiliency of our publications. Following the ACM publication workflow, all authors should submit manuscripts for review in a single-column format. The maximum length for extended abstracts is 4 pages (excluding references) in the new single-column format. Instructions for Word and LaTeX authors are given below:

*Microsoft Word: Write your paper using the Submission Template (Review Submission Format). Follow the embedded instructions to apply the paragraph styles to your various text elements. The text is in single-column format at this stage and no additional formatting is required at this point.
*LaTeX: Please use the latest version of the Primary Article Template – LaTeX to create your submission. You must use the “manuscript” option with the \documentclass[manuscript]{acmart} command to generate the output in a single-column format which is required for review. Please see the LaTeX documentation and ACM’s LaTeX best practices guide for further instructions. To ensure 100% compatibility with The ACM Publishing System (TAPS), please restrict the use of packages to the whitelist of approved LaTeX packages.

A document with some frequently asked questions can be found here.

Authors are strongly encouraged to provide “alt text” (alternative text) for floats (images, tables, etc.) in their content so that readers with disabilities can be given descriptive information for these floats that are important to the work. The descriptive text will be displayed in place of a float if the float cannot be loaded. This benefits the author as well as it broadens the reader base for the author’s work. Moreover, the alt text provides in-depth float descriptions to search engine crawlers, which helps to properly index these floats. Additionally, authors should follow the ACM Accessibility Recommendations for Publishing in Color and SIG ACCESS guidelines on describing figures.

Should you have any questions or issues going through the instructions above, please contact support at [log in to unmask] for both LaTeX and Microsoft Word inquiries.

Accepted demonstrations will be later submitted to ACM’s new production platform where authors will be able to review PDF and HTML output formats before publication. Additionally, we might request audiovisual material, such as a recording of the demo walkthrough two weeks before the conference start date, in order to allow for preparation of the conference’s online part.

Anonymity
All submissions will be single-blind peer reviewed. This means that submissions should include information identifying the authors and their organization.

Ethical Review for Human-Subjects Research
ACM RecSys expects all authors to comply with ethical and regulatory guidelines associated with human subjects research, including research involving human participants and research using personally identifiable data. Demos reporting on such human subjects research must include a statement identifying any regulatory review the research is subject to (and identifying the form of approval provided), or explaining the lack of required review. Reviewers will be asked to consider whether the research was conducted in compliance with applicable ethical and regulatory guidelines.

Originality
Demos must not be under review in any other conference at the time of submission and must contain novel contributions. Plagiarized demos will not be accepted for RecSys 2021. If you have questions about reuse of a previously presented demo or simultaneous submission, please contact the demo chairs at least one week prior to the submission deadline. Please refer to the ACM Publishing License Agreement and Authorship Policy for further details.

Patenting
Please take note that the official publication date is the date the proceedings are made available in the ACM Digital Library. This date may be up to two weeks prior to the first day of the conference. The official publication date affects the deadline for any patent filings related to published work.

SIGCHI SUBMITTER AGREEMENT

RecSys 2021 is a SIGCHI conference and making a submission to a SIGCHI conference is a serious matter. Submissions require time and effort by SIGCHI volunteers to organize and manage the reviewing process, and, if the submission is accepted, the publication and presentation process. Thus, anyone who submits to RecSys 2021 implicitly confirms the following statements:

1. I confirm that this submission is the work of myself and my co-authors.
2. I confirm that I or my co-authors hold copyright to the content, and have obtained appropriate permissions for any portions of the content that are copyrighted by others.
3. I confirm that any research reported in this submission involving human subjects has gone through the appropriate approval process at my institution.
4. I confirm that if this paper is accepted, I or one of my co-authors will present the paper at the conference, either in person or through a conference-designated remote presentation option. Papers that are not presented at the conference by an author may be removed from the proceedings at the discretion of the program chairs.

IMPORTANT DATES

*Demo submission deadline: July 13th, 2021
*Demo notification: July 30th, 2021
*Camera-ready demo summary deadline: 10th August, 2021

Deadlines refer to 23:59 (11:59pm) in the AoE (Anywhere on Earth) time zone.

DEMOS CHAIRS

*Ludovico Boratto, Eurecat (Technology Centre of Catalonia), Spain
*Pigi Kouki, RelationalAI, USA
E-mail: [log in to unmask]