]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  June 2021

SOCNET June 2021

Rutgers Department of Communication: Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty Position in Data Science and Organizations/Organizing

Matthew Weber <[log in to unmask]>

Matthew Weber <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:12:57 +0000

Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty Position in Data Science and Organizations/Organizing

The Department of Communication at Rutgers University’s School of Communication and Information seeks a full-time faculty member (likely assistant or associate level) in the area of Data Science with an emphasis on Organizations and/or Organizing. The appointment will begin Fall 2022.

We seek a social scientist studying organizations and organizing who incorporates data science methods into their research. The ideal candidate will conduct theory-driven, empirical, communication-centered research that examines dynamic processes of organizing. We are looking for innovative and engaged communication scholars whose research foci recognize emerging issues, including but not limited to:

●      Organizations, work, and equity

●      The science of work groups and teams

●      Artificial intelligence and the future of work

●      Media and technology

●      Organizations and technology

●      Globalization and civil society

●      Organizing and collective action

●      Organizational networks

The ideal candidate will have expertise in core methods related to data science including, but not limited to, any of the following:

●      Machine learning

●      Natural language processing

●      Network science

Our faculty employs a wide range of empirical approaches in their research. We encourage candidates whose scholarship intersects with, and extends, one or more of the department’s research foci (organizational communication, health communication, communication and technology, interpersonal communication, and language and social interaction) and/or other areas within the school such as media studies and information science. For more about the Department of Communication and the School of Communication and Information (SC&I), see comminfo.rutgers.edu.

We look forward to welcoming a new colleague who will contribute to our thriving undergraduate and master’s level programs and our highly-regarded interdisciplinary school-wide Ph.D. program.

MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE

A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in a relevant field is expected as of June 2022 for a September start date.

Applicants should have a demonstrated record or strong likelihood of top-tier peer-reviewed publication and evidence of or preparation for effective teaching. Applicants at the rank of Associate Professor should provide evidence of leadership in research, instruction, and service;  a record of external funding is a plus. Responsibilities of tenure-track and tenured faculty members include undergraduate and graduate teaching assignments, an active program of research in the candidate’s area of scholarly expertise, and service contributions in accordance with the university policy for tenure‐track and tenured appointments.

OVERVIEW OF THE SCHOOL

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 70,000 students and 23,400 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world. An equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, Rutgers is committed to building a diverse community and encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply. We are currently in an exciting period of transformation and growth as we form a hub for data science across departments at Rutgers University.

The School of Communication and Information (SC&I) is a dynamic center of learning at the heart of the Rutgers-New Brunswick campus. Founded in 1982, SC&I research and teaching is delivered by three academic departments: Communication, Journalism and Media Studies, and Library and Information Science. Through five undergraduate majors and minors, three masters degrees, and an interdisciplinary Ph.D. program, the school teaches over 10,000 students each year, of whom 2,500 are its own undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students. Geographically adjacent and closely connected to the world’s largest media and information hubs and supported by Rutgers’ vibrant scholarly community, SC&I embraces the university goals of promoting diversity throughout our networks and programs, and is committed to social engagement. For more about the school see: http://comminfo.rutgers.edu

TO APPLY

Review of applications will begin on September 27, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates are required to submit a letter of application, CV, two sample publications and the names of 3 references. All applications must be submitted through the online job posting at https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/135500.

Inquiries can be made to the search committee chair: Professor Matthew Weber ([log in to unmask]), Department of Communication, Rutgers University, 4 Huntington St., New Brunswick, NJ.

Rutgers University is an AA/EEO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability.
For additional information please see our Non-Discrimination Statement.