Skip repetitive navigational links

CL testimonials

Ted Panitz <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Dec 1995 21:58:26 -0500

text/plain

 I am sending you a compilation of the responses I received to my inquiry about
CL experiences. Mixed in is a discussion of the merits of CL. It seems when
ever a discussion gets started about CL topics a few people jump in to try to
change the direction of the discussion. I hope it will be interesting to you to
hear that part of the discussion so I did not edit it out.
      If after reading these anyone feels inspired to send in their testimonial
please feel free to do so and I will send out a followup compilation.
Thanks in advance.

Ted Panitz [log in to unmask]
 I would like to start a discussion which focuses on testimonials of
encouraging, enlightening and uplifting experiences teachers or administrators
have had using group or cooperative learning principles and/or strategies in
their classes, committees, departments, at conferences, in their local
communities or anywhere else.

     I will start the discussion by relating an encouraging experience I had
recently during an intermediate algebra class. A parent brought her three year,
old rather precocious, daughter to class recently since her daycare facility was
closed that day. She was very apolegetic and assured me the child was well
behaved. She explained that she had been to several classes and was familiar
with how to act and accepted being with her mother. However if she got tired and
started talking they would leave. Since we were working in groups with lots of
discussion going on I didn't see any problem even if she spoke to her mother
occasionally. That seemed to reassure both mother and daughter.
     During the class I worked with the child's mother individually on word
problems. Her daughter, sitting next to us, asked an interesting question, as
only 3 year olds can. "Why were we talking in this class when they weren't
allowed to in the last class?" With out hesitating her mother responded, in 3
year old talk, "In this class we learn by talking to each other and explaining
things to each other." This seemed to be quite a satisfactory answer to the
little girl. Her mother went on to tell me that after the last class which was
an english class, where the professor lectures, her daughter made the comment
"That man talked too much and it was hard to be quiet and listen for so long.".
The innocence of children can be so direct and to the point. At the end of our
class the litttle girl made one more observation: "Mommy, I like this class
better." That seemed sufficient for her and settled a question she had about
why the two classes were different.
     The mother also mentioned that since starting this class she now talks to
her daughter about math and asks her daughter to explain how she does math back
to her. She gave me a demonstration. She asked her to get three crayons. This
child picked up three and then counted them off to her mother. She then asked
her to get five crayons and without hesitation she picked up two more. Her
mother asked her to verify that she had 5 whereupon she proudly counted them
off. Hewr mother was quite pleased with this new way of interacting with her
daughter and the little girl just beamed.
    Hearing my student articulate the nature of group learning and seeing her
relationship with her daughter absolutely made my day. The collaborative
learning that the mother was experiencing through the class was being introduced
to her daughter in a very natural and unassuming way. It is these little
victories that keep me going and inspire me to pursue interactive learning
processes.

     I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE ON THE LIST ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES.
SEND THEM TO THE LIST AND CC ME OR SEND THEM TO ME DIRECTLY.

Thanks in advance.

Ted Panitz [log in to unmask]