Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Students in Academic Jeopardy

Georgine Materniak <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:35:49 -0500

text/plain

Below is a description of the University of Pittsburgh Learning Skills
Center's Academic Success program.  In the earlier years of our Center,
we ran a program for probation students. Since our students are formally
reviewed academically at the end of the year, so much was lost by the
time they ended up on probation.  So, we presented an idea of an early
intervention program to our College of Arts and Sciences and this is what
has resulted. For the investment of time and energy we put into it, we
and the students get better results than we did when we worked with
probation students.

We also learned that individual contact is very important.  Circumstances
that have caused problems can vary widely.  So, although the end result
is the same (poor performance), causes are very diverse.

If you wish to know more, contact me and I'll put you in touch with the
member of our staff who coordinates ASP.

Georgine Materniak
University of Pittsburgh

Academic Success Program
The Academic Success Program is a joint retention program of the LSC and
the College of Arts and Science(CAS).  It is to provide an early
intervention for students experiencing academic problems and to reduce the
potential for probation at the end of the first year. At the end of each fall
term, the grades of students who have just completed their first term in CAS as
a freshman, transfer, or relocated student are reviewed.  Students who
have a term QPA of less than 2.0, and/or who have less than a C- in a
skills course or in a sequential course, are sent a letter from the CAS
Dean.  In the letter, students are instructed to see their academic
advisor and are strongly encouraged to contact designated staff at the
LSC.  Typically, 700 students make up this cohort; the LSC actually
assists about 100 students.

The LSC conducts a highly individualized approach to providing assistance
to ASP students.  When an ASP student contacts the LSC, an individual
appointment is arranged with a member of th