Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Peer Tutorial Programs

Georgine Materniak <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:22:48 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

This is one option that we have proposed and I believe has the greatest
potential for bridging support services with instruction. We are having
wonderful success with SI so there is an established track record of the
potential of the model. Whether or not it is acceptable to the
department remains to be seen. Although SI works closely with the faculty
and the course, there is a certain amount of autonomy in the decision as
to what actually happens in the sessions. If SI is not accepted by the
dept. as a viable option, it will be because of the autonomy issue.

My understanding of SI is that it is the students who actually determine
the goals of an SI session and what they want to accomplish. The SI
leader is a facilitator. So, the source of what happens in SI is
generated by the students, not by the faculty. We would need to reach this
understanding with the department to seriously consider SI as the
solution.

 Georgine