Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Annual Reports

"Dr. Rick A. Sheets" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:01:06 +0000

text/plain

Noelle Call wrote:

> Hello from Utah,
> I am currently on a committee to evaluate the format we currently use
> for our annual reports from Student Services.  Are there any schools
> out there who would be willing to share copies of their annual
> reports with us...
>
> Noelle A. Call, Director
> Learning and Life Skills Center
> UMC 0120
> Utah State University
> Logan, Utah 84322-0120

Last year we created an annual report within the context of an "In-Depth
Review" of our center for a campus-wide "Institutional Effectiveness"
snapshot.  As our notebook document ended up being about 33 pages, I
have only included the executive summary and list of appendices.  Many
of the documents included were things we already had, just not collected
for review (e.g., flyers, bookmarks, usage statistics).

For this next spring semester's review, I have developed an outline of
the tentative appendices (See Attachment 2) which we are collecting now
(including refernces to some publishing we have done on tutor
training).  After collecting all the materials, we will do a new
executive summary.  Each year we plan to use this as a combined annual
report; center evaluation; a yearly snapshot of all our goals, staffing,
services, etc.; and a valuable resource from which to draw from in the
future.  Each year will contain a complete set of usage statistics since
our opening ten years ago.  I also plan to put the complete annual
reports beginning with 1996-97 on our LAC web page (probably in May or
June 1997):

http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/lac

I hope this helps!

---------------------------Attachment 1----------------------------
1995-96
INSTITUTIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF IN-DEPTH REVIEW
PVCC LEARNING ASSISTANCE CENTER (LAC)

GOALS AND OUTCOMES

The LAC has used several different systems for goals and objectives in
the past including a Management by Objective system used on a semester
basis.  In 1995, the LAC developed objectives for 1996-97 and related
these objectives to the college strategic planning goals.  The
objectives are periodically reviewed and revised, if needed, by the LAC
staff.  See appendix A for 1996-97 Objectives.

SERVICES DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS

The services offered by the LAC are: tutoring for all students in all
academic courses offered by the college, instructional support resources
for students and the community, study skills and learning style
workshops for students and the community as part of the counseling
center’s Adult Re-entry Seminar Series, faculty-run calculator workshops
for students, and in-class presentations on LAC services and/or study
skills or learning styles or grant services. See appendices B and C for
details.

Other major activities conducted by the LAC are: a tutor training
program certified by the College Reading and Learning Association’s
International Tutor Certification Program which includes the course EDU
102, Tutor Training Seminar, and the Faculty Liaison program which
facilitates communication between the LAC and the academic divisions by
means of full and part-time faculty from each division serving as
liaisons to the LAC.  See appendices D and E for details.

Significant changes which have ocurred in services offered by the LAC in
the last two years involve expanded tutoring services to specific target
student populations through a variety of federal, state, and internal
grants. In response to student demand for increased tutoring options,
the LAC hired a Grant Coordinator to conduct student need assessments,
write grants, and coordinate and evaluate grant services. For a listing
of grants, populations served, funding levels, and results of student
needs assessments and grant services evaluations, see appendix F.

For both Fall and Spring semesters in 1987-88, the first year of LAC
operation, there were 1824 student contacts with the center.  In the
Fall, 1995 semester alone, there were 12,652 student contacts with the
LAC, the majority of these for tutoring.  It is projected that there
will be more than 27,000 student contacts for 1995-96.  See appendix G
for detailed student use statistics. LAC daily peak periods are
mid-mornings and early evenings.  Semester peak periods are the first
few weeks of each semester, several weeks before midterms, and several
weeks before finals. The normal hours of operation for the LAC are
Monday-Thursday 8am-7pm, Friday 8-noon and 2-5pm (tutor training is held
from noon to 2pm), and Saturday 9am-1pm.

A variety of user evaluation surveys were utilized by the LAC which
provided user perceptions of the level and quality of services. These
surveys ranged from student evaluations of individual tutors to a
Master’s thesis study of student perceived effectiveness of tutoring. In
this study of students age 25 and over (n=68 ), 79.41% of students
reported that “As a result of the tutoring I received: I have improved
my grades.” (Gerkin, 1995)  See appendix H for a sampling of student
evaluations of tutors, letters of support, and the thesis study
conclusions (the thesis is available in the LAC). See appendix F for
grant student tutoring evaluations.

From 70 to 150 students from targeted or special populations have been
served each year since 1992 by one of the LAC grants. These populations
include handicapped, financially disadvantaged, limited English
proficient, academically disadvantaged, displaced homemakers, single
parents, adult re-entry, first time technology users, and ADA disabled.
See appendix F for details.

I t is recommended that continuing funds be established to support
expanded tutoring services for special at-risk student populations
rather than utilizing one-time grant funds.  These expanded services
will help maintain the current high retention level attributed to these
services by students.

ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE AND PERSONNEL

The LAC permanent staff includes: Dr. Rick Sheets, Director of the LAC
and MicroComputer “E” Lab (full-time MAT, Grade III), David Gerkin,
Coordinator, Learning Center (full-time MAT, Grade I), Suzy Crescenti,
Scheduling and Records Coordinator (3/4 time PSA, Grade 6), and Alison
Livingston (1/2 time PSA, Grade 6, 10 month).  The LAC part-time,
temporary and student employees include a Grant Coordinator (Dr. Nancy
Berk), 2-3 grant support staff, a Site Supervisor, 2 receptionists, and
40-55 tutors. See Appendix I for the LAC organizational chart.

Staff development activities in which the LAC staff have participated
include the Winter Institute for Learning Assistance Professionals,
College Reading and Learning Association National Conference, Maricopa’s
Student Success Conference, MAT and PSA retreats, Quantum Quality
training and Learning Centered Systems training.  There has been broad
based participation in these activities by permanent and temporary
staff.  In addition, all tutors complete EDU 102, Tutor Training
Seminar, to earn Level One Certification, and many continue to earn
Level Two and Level Three Tutor Training certification.

To maintain expanded tutoring services for special at-risk student
populations (see Appendix F) and to serve the increasing numbers of
students utilizing the LAC (see Appendix G), it is recommended that the
LAC staff be increased to include:  one At-Risk Student Services
Coordinator (full-time PSA, Grade 10), one LAC Technician (full-time PSA
Grade 8), and one LAC clerk (full-time PSA grade 5) within the next
three years.  It is anticipated that there will be a need for two
additional full-time positions in the following two years to continue to
maintain expanded tutoring services for special at-risk student
populations, to serve increasing numbers of students, and to allow for
growth due to Phase II expansion of the LAC.

OTHER COSTS

APPENDICES

A.      1996-97 LAC Objectives

B.      Student Options

C.      Adult-Reentry Workshop Flyer

D.      Tutor Notebook Introduction Pages

E.      Faculty Liaison Contract/Liaison Newsletter

F.      Grant Services

G.      LAC Student Use Statistics

H.      LAC Student Evaluation Survey Results

---------------------------Attachment 2----------------------------

Institutional Effectiveness
In-Depth Review
1996-97

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

2       Executive Summary of In-Depth Review

APPENDICES:

A       LAC Structure
        A1      Organizational Chart and Description (?)
        A2      Goals & Objectives (3+ year plan)
        A3      Budget Projection (3 year plan)

B       Services Offered (Student Options)

C       Flyers, Bookmarks, Guest Packets, & other promotional materials
        C1      Bookmark
        C2      LAC Home Page on the World Wide Web
        C3      Adult Re-entry Flyer
        C4      Calculator Workshop Flyer
        C5      Classroom Flyer
        C6      Guest Packet

D       Tutor Training Program
        D1      Award Ceremony Program
        D2      Schedule
        D3      Tutor Notebook Introductory Pages
        D4      Tutor Mentor Program (?)
        D5      Sample Certificate (?)

E       Faculty Liaison Program
        E1      Job Description
        E2      Faculty Flyer (How you can help the LAC help your students)
        E3      Faculty Tutor Recruitment Form
        E4      Faculty Referral Form
        E5      Retreat Agenda

F       Special Programs (for At-Risk Students)
        F1      Overview
        F2      CPII
        F3      Student Assist & Excel
        F4      Foundations & Endowments
        F5      Other

G       Lists of Tutors
        G1      List of Volunteer Tutors at PVCC
        G2      List of PVCC Tutors 1996-97

H       LAC Student Use Statistics
        H1      Use History (Numbers & Graph)
        H2      Use History by Year (Current First)

I       LAC Evaluation
        I1      Student Survey
        I2      Sample of Student Evaluation of Individual Tutors
        I3      Tutor Evaluation Sample & Summary
        I4      Faculty Evaluation Sample & Summary
        I5      Letters of Support

J       Tutor Management System (TMS) Materials

K       Construction Planning

L       External Publishing:
        L1      National Journal Articles (one on Tutor Training)
        L2      Master’s Thesis on Tutor Training
        L3      Doctoral Dissertation on Tutor Training
    Note: The refernces and abstracts for the publishing mentioned here
can be found at:

                  http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/lac/ref_tutor_training.html

          I have not yet linked to it from the LAC homepage as I need to
proof it better
           than I have done. However, I wanted to provide the link to
you all now.

--
Rick A. Sheets, Ed.D.                                   “None of us is as smart
Paradise Valley Community College                         as all of us.”

November 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020