Skip repetitive navigational links

Tutor's Code of Ethics

Rose Rude <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:24:58 -0400

text/plain

Following is the Tutors responsibility and code of ethics currently in my
tutoring manual.  I am revising it this summer, so suggestions and comments are
welcome.

UW-River Falls

        ASO TUTOR RESPONSIBILITIES

1.      Establish and maintain rapport with the student (s) assigned to you.

2.      Provide academic assistance and support to those students assigned to
you.

3.      Focus tutoring sessions on the process of learning (study skills)
rather than on course content.

4.      Assist each student to develop a goal at the beginning of every
tutoring session and to evaluate that goal upon completion of the session.

5.      Assist students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject
material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.

6.      Help students develop the study skills necessary for academic
achievement.

7.      Provide a positive role model for program participants.

8.      Maintain confidentiality.

9.      Maintain written records of each tutoring session.

10      Report on student's progress as requested by the Tutor Coordinator.

11      Attend training sessions as requested by the Tutor Coordinator and/or
the Program Director.

Adapted from:  Lloyd, Lanel . " Tutor Manual, Academic Support Office, UW-River
Falls," 1994.
                          Bataglia, Mary Clare. "Lakewood Student Support
Services Master Tutor Manual," 1993.

TUTOR  CODE  OF  ETHICS

1.      Subject proficiency and knowledgeability have top priority in my task
as a tutor.

2.      My major motivation is building my student's self-confidence.

3.      My student deserves--and will receive--my total attention.

4.      The language my student and I share must be mutually understandable at
all times.

5.      I must be able to admit my own weaknesses,  and will seek assistance
whenever I need it.

6.      Respect for my student's personal dignity means I accept that
individual without judgement.

7.      My student will constantly be encouraged but never insulted by false
hope or empty flattery.

8.      I will evaluate my student's work in terms of the progress they have
made in the tutorial rather than in terms of a grade.

9.      Both my student and I will always understand my role is never to do the
student's work.

10.     I will not comment negatively to students on teacher's grading
policies, their teaching and their personalities.

11.     I  count on my student to also be my tutor, and teach me ways to do a
better job.

12.     I will always do my best to be punctual and keep appointments, not only
out of courtesy, but also as an example for my student to follow.  I will
contact the tutee or the ASO if I am not able to keep an appointment.

13.     I will remember that the ultimate goal in tutoring is to foster
independent and autonomous learning in the student.

14.     I will maintain records, lesson plan, and progress data as expected and
required.

Adapted from the National Association of Tutorial Services

November 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020