Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Writing tutor pay.

Peggy Keller <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:07:32 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

Craig,

Here at Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute, we have mostly paid,
professional tutors, rather than student tutors. The going rate here is
$8.50 per hour. There are no merit raises here, only an across the board
percentage raise each year (if we're lucky!) We have tutors like me who
have a heap of writing experience but who are still working on their
degrees, to folks who have graduate degrees. (Yes, folks, the market is
tight!) Usually our more highly degreed folks are lured away by the
enormous sum of $22.00/hr they can earn teaching part-time. As tutors go,
I think our institute is one of the better paying ones (promise you won't
tell our president that, or he'll chop our wages quicker than you can say
"We need a raise!"

I'll be interested to find out what everyone else gets, too.

Peggy Keller
Lead Learning Assistant for English
Assistance Centers for Education
Department of Adult and Developmental Education
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Craig Andres wrote:

> I need help.
>
> I am about to hire a writing tutor, and need to know what is being paid
> for writing tutors with a bachelors degree, with some experience in
> industry and in teaching.. Our student tutors get between $4.75 and
> $6.00 per hour. My budget is fairly small. I would
> appreciate your input.

Error during command authentication.