Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: LRNASST Digest - 20 Aug 1997 to 21 Aug 1997

Gladys Shaw <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:22:51 +0100

text/plain

At 12:00 AM 8/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
>presented him with a tidy packet showing his improvement over the
>summer.  He was ecstatic!
>
>Now, obviously, this student had a lot going for him: an uncle who
>supported (and pushed) him, time over the summer to devote to learning a
>new skill, and most of all, the determination to succeed.  But, remember,
>it wasn't there at first.  As he learned to read faster, his confidence
>grew and that seemed to encourage him to go on.  Now, even though we're
>officially finished for the summer, he continues to come into the lab to
>work on his reading techniques.  I can't wait to see how he does in
>classes this fall!!!
>
>I firmly believe that anyone can benefit from working on speed reading and
>comprehension. This example was not an isolated case.  The key is patience,
>making learning FUN, and the student's determination to succeed.
>
>I hope this helps!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Kim McDonald
>Saginaw Valley State University
>Michigan
>Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:05:57 +0600
>From:    Ann-Claire Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: math lab computer software
>
>Amy Hobbs from TX A&M wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if this subject has been discussed before because I am new to
>> this group.  I am researching computer software for our math lab to help
>> students who are not ready for College Algebra.  If you are using a program
>> that you like and think might fit our needs, please reply.
>
>Hello again fellow LRNASSTers,
>If you would like a free sampler  mathematics CD-ROM called "Math at Work",
>please send me your name and street address and I'll get one in the mail to
>you.  One of  my colleagues has co-developed a series of three CD-ROMs that
>include basic pre-algebra and beginning geometry skills taught through real
>world relevant games.  The level is about 8th grade--but it has been used
>with GT 5th graders and in a college beginning engineering class--so go
>figure! I don't expect this to in any way replace your regular developmental
>mathematics teaching, but the programs are a lot of fun (I tried them!) and
>would make good supplementary material. I'll be happy to ask him to send a
>sampler CD to you.
>
>Ann-Claire Anderson
>Mgr, Postsecondary Ed.
>CORD Communications
>800-231-3015
>Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:34:42 -0400
>From:    Craig Andres <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tutor of the year award.
>
>I am still wondering if their is anyone out there giving Tutor of the
>Year awards.  I am planning on giving one as well, and I would like to
>know what criteria you use to justify the selection.
>Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:06:01 -0400
>From:    Rosemary Bienz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: math lab computer software
>
>I'd appreciate a copy of the CD-ROM math games sampler; I'm hoping it
might be helpful to people in our Adult Studies program who have been away
from math for a long time.  Thanks for the offer!

> [...]
>>grew and that seemed to encourage him to go on.  Now, even though we're
>>officially finished for the summer, he continues to come into the lab to
>>work on his reading techniques.  I can't wait to see how he does in
>>classes this fall!!!
>>
>>I firmly believe that anyone can benefit from working on speed reading and
>>comprehension. This example was not an isolated case.  The key is patience,
>>making learning FUN, and the student's determination to succeed.
>>
>>I hope this helps!
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Kim McDonald
>>Saginaw Valley State University
>>Michigan
>>

>Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:27:32 -0400
>From:    Andrea VICARS <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tutor of the year award.
>
>I am also trying to establish some type of reward for tutors ( since
monetary reward is small ), and I am also interested in creating either
yearly awards or at the time of their 6 month evaluation.  Any ideas would
be helpful.

> [...]
>
>> I am also trying to establish some type of reward for tutors ( since
monetary reward is small ), and I am also interested in creating either
yearly awards or at the time of their 6 month evaluation.  Any ideas would
be helpful.

>> I am still wondering if their is anyone out there giving Tutor of the
>> Year awards.  I am planning on giving one as well, and I would like to
>> know what criteria you use to justify the selection.
>>
>Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:13:15 -0700
>From:    eric golanty <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Re[2]: Tutor meetings
>
>We, too, have problems finding times when everyone can attend meetings and
>trainings.  Ours is a two-year commuter school, and most students work
>20-30 hours a week so they don't hang around campus when not in class.
>
>Last year we experimented with "virtual" meetings on a dedicated web-based
>chat board.  It worked OK when we remembered to use it.  (takes some
>getting used to).  We chose web-based because not every student has access
>to e-mail, but anyone can  get to the school's website from computers in
>the Learning Resource Center, computer lab, or even a public library off
>campus.  (Indeed, from anywhere in the world).  The difficulty getting
>everyone in the same place at the same time is one reason we developed
>Tutor Tutor for our tutor training.
>
>In our experience, virtual is not better than live.  It's just better than
>nothing and a lot of frustration.
>
>Eric Golanty
>Las Positas College
>Tutor Tutor:  http://www.webcom.com/ergo/tutor
>Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:32:55 -0400
>From:    Maureen O'Grady Ednie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: math lab computer software
>
>Ann-Claire Anderson wrote:
>>
>> Hello again fellow LRNASSTers,
>> If you would like a free sampler  mathematics CD-ROM called "Math at Work",
>> please send me your name and street address and I'll get one in the mail to
>> you.  One of  my colleagues has co-developed a series of three CD-ROMs that
>> include basic pre-algebra and beginning geometry skills taught through real
>> world relevant games.  The level is about 8th grade--but it has been used
>> with GT 5th graders and in a college beginning engineering class--so go
>> figure! I don't expect this to in any way replace your regular
developmental
>> mathematics teaching, but the programs are a lot of fun (I tried them!) and
>> would make good supplementary material. I'll be happy to ask him to send a
>> sampler CD to you.
>>
>> Ann-Claire Anderson
>> Mgr, Postsecondary Ed.
>> CORD Communications
>> 800-231-3015
>
>Ann-Claire,
>        I would appreciate receiving the sample cd on "Math at Work" and any
>additional information regarding the program you discribed for the
>LRNASST list. It sounds right in line with the AMATYC Crossroads reform

Ann-Claire, I would very much appreciate  samples of Math at Work and the
CD's developed by your friend, and will be glad to pay cost and postage if
necessary. Please send to Gladys Shaw, 300 Library, U. T. El Paso, El Paso,
Tx. 79968.  Thanks much.

November 2020
October 2020
September 2020