Skip repetitive navigational links

Position Available -- Reading Instructor: De Anza College

Sylvia Mioduski <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:31:49 -0700

text/plain

LRNASST colleagues:

I'm posting the following postion on behalf of Kim Chief Elk from DeAnza
College. Please contact her directly for more information.

sm
------------------------------
>From: Kim Chief Elk <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Reading Instructor (Tenure Track)
>
>Thank you for you help. The position information is below:
>
>EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
>De Anza College
>21250 Stevens Creek Blvd.
>Cupertino, California 95014
>Readiness/Reading Instructor
> (Language Arts and Readiness Lab)
>JOB NUMBER: 98056
>
>Open Date: 12/19/97
>First Review Date: 2/27/98
>
>The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting
>applications for the faculty position of Reading Instructor assigned to the
>College Readiness Reading Lab/Reading Department.
>
> Description of the De Anza College Reading Program and College Readiness
>Program:
>The Reading Department offers a sequence of both reading and combined
>reading/writing courses for developing readers, beginning with basic
>classes devoted to developing reading and writing connections and extending
>to the development of literal and critical comprehension, analysis, and
>reading rate skills.
>
>The College Readiness Program offers corequisite, small group instructional
>labs for students enrolled in departmental courses in Reading, English
>Writing, and ESL.
>
>DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
>The assignment for this position is to coordinate the Reading Readiness Lab
>Program and to teach classes in the Reading Department. Major areas of
>responsibility include:
>
>1) Lab Coordination/Instruction/ Supervision of a Large Reading Lab:
>Hire, schedule, supervise, and evaluate instructional assistant(s); set
>grading standards for labs and train IAs accordingly. Supervise the
>placement and advising of students into appropriate courses and monitor
>student progress in Reading lab courses.
>
>2) Curriculum Development: Prepare quarterly reading lab materials,
>create and field test new lab and modular curriculum appropriate for
>developing readers; revise reading lab curriculum course outlines as
>needed; provide liaison between Language Arts faculty and Readiness staff
>on curricular issues for underprepared students; and initiate and implement
>the use of computer technology.
>
>3) Teaching Departmental Reading Courses: Teach basic and developmental
>reading courses and/or developmental reading/writing courses (day and/or
>evening); work with Reading Department colleagues to develop curricula
>and/or new delivery systems.
>MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
>1. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic,
>socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of community
>college students.
>2. Master's in Education with a specialization in reading or teaching
>reading OR Bachelor's in any academic discipline AND twelve semester units
> [...]
Sylvia Mioduski, Director
University Learning Center (Old Main 202)

PO Box 210021
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0021

520-621-9363 (voice)