PSYART February 1998, Week 4

[Fwd: Re: adjunct faculty (fwd) (fwd) (fwd) (fwd) (fwd)] (fwd)

Norm Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:10:40 EST

text/plain

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:48:21 -0700
From: Mary Elkins <[log in to unmask]>

> From: Patricia Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
>
> At least an adjunct comes into the job knowing the limits of her advantages in
> Patricia Stanley

        Thank you for pointing out that there are many different ways for the
system to discriminate against women without appearing to do so. Here at
Chadron State College the union brought suit against the Board,
requiring a comprehensive study/copmarison of salaries to determine if
there was an inequity in women's salaries relative to men's across the
college system. The study of course revealed a wide gap but the Board
argued against it's own findings. The union's threat to sue resulted in
female Prof's salaries being brought up to the standard, that is,
comparable to men's of equal qualifications and experience within
fields.
        I think it is time academia stop fooling itself into thinking equity
exists between the sexes, it is an ongoing battle. Gender is just
another of the many ways in which administrations and legislatures
discriminate in order to cut costs. The whole adjunct system is an
institutionalized form of sexual discrimination --most adjuncts are
women.
        Patricia, please don't delude yourself into thinking that adjuncts have
it better. We don't. When I began to teach, I did know to expect little
respect, little office support, little voice and to work harder than
some full-time people for much less money. What I did not expect, 20
years after the last job at which this happened to me, was to be forced,
under threat of  constant (3 years) harrasssment, personal attack and
loss of employment to endure sexually belittling remarks and jokes,
infantalize myself, pretend I couldn't manage my job without oversight
of my every move by the Dean, to be forced to lower my teaching and
evaluation standards, compete for my job (teaching Humanities) with a
secretary with a Masters in Ed. in English from CSC (my degree is an MFA
from the Art Institute of Chicago with honors) or endure attacks against
my civil rights, endure the absolute indifference and/or outright
hostility towards me re my fight against these forms of harassment by
the entire, male department, most of whom had been my friends for 16
years, -- all in order to be able to teach one course.
        I don't imagine my situation is unusual or personal. I was expected to
pretend to be studpid and helpless, to flatter, flirt, entertain and
ingratiate past the limits of endurance because I was female and I owed
my job to one person, the Dean, who expected to be stroked --or else. He
made his expectations clear to me, but I, like so many of of the members
on this list, could not believe my ears, did not fully take it in and
assumed the respect of my peers would protect me. I compromised with the
Dean's wishes to be "easier" with my grades and curriculum but never
played the female-boob game. He retaliated in response to my official
complaint against harassment, which I was forced to make by his
appointment of this secretary to teach my classes, by removing the
classes I taught from the schedule, and by accusing me, falsely, of
"bumping" a student, in order to round out his other slanders against my
professional performance. Despite their knowledge of the Dean's attempt
to secretly and illegally place this secretary in a full-time
instructorship, and despite the fact that I was a good teacher with good
evaluations (outstanding) teaching freshman classes that no one else
wanted to teach, and the only person in the entire panhandle area
competent to teach art in an interdisciplinary context, the Department
refused to put two and two together to recognize any connection between
the pattern of the Dean's attacks against me and his wish to give a
woman who would play the female-boob game a job. They attributed the
whole mess to "personal issues" between the Dean and myself. I think
that was because so many of the men in the department had been playing
the game with the secretary for some time. By the game I mean: flirting,
sexually explicit dress, the exchange of special personal and
professional favors and attention, the participation in sexual comments
re her dress, jokes and reparte, and the creation of overt competition
for their favor and attention in and beyond the job's requirements-- in
short, extensive "stroking" of the middle-aged male ego. I see no other
reason for Ms. Lewinsky's perennial presence in the oval office than to
"stroke" the President's ego. Everyone seems to take this basic fact for
granted, no matter where they stand on the other issues and see nothing
wrong with it. It is a double standard of different expectations of
women in the work place (not the bedroom or the closet) that has nothing
whatsoever to do with the job requirements or the qualifications and
leads to abuse. As long as men and women deny it exists, true equity in
the workplace will never happen.
        Pardon the length of this posting. My point in going into detail is to
provide facts. My experience is not unique (after my situation became
known here, I heard lots more horror stories from students and adjunct
faculty re our Dean and Vice Pres.) but points to the reasons and the
means used to force women to play a role that has nothing to do with the
job, ie, harassment and discrimination. What I would hope for is the end
of indifference because it enables people like my former Dean to do
violence to women and society suffers. This is my last word here on this
subject.
         In the mean time, Patricia, I highly reccommend that you get a union
to ensure pay equity.
Mary Ellen Elkins