LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  April 1998

BRCA-L April 1998

Re: Peer Review Panel Applications

Karen Gray <[log in to unmask]>

Breast Cancer Online Support Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:24:59 -0400

text/plain

>>I don't think anybody should ascribe any hostile motives to the staff
people involved.<<

I think it's not a matter of ascribing hostile motives but rather of being
concerned that the search may not be being done very effectively.   Two to
three weeks is not enough time for organizations to make decisions, get the
forms into the hands of potential people, have them fill them out and
return them to the local office for mailing.  I know both my local chapter
and the national Y-Me office found the time inadequate and I never even had
time to get the form and so sent them what I thought they wanted from what
our office person indicated in general terms.  Much as I would love to
serve again, I do think it is important to bring in new women so the issue
is not my exclusion but the fact that my experience suggests a very
perfunctory "search" that isn't going to give organizations time to make
their nominations in a careful and effective way and will doubtless miss a
lot of good possibilities.
--Karen