LISTSERV Archives

CMPLAW-L Home

CMPLAW-L  June 1998

CMPLAW-L June 1998

Re: Dear list members...

Rainmaker <[log in to unmask]>

Internet and Computer Law Association <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:29:46 -0400

text/plain

At 09:27 AM 6/10/1998 EDT, Patty Oh so eloquently stated:

><< My question is how do you verify that somebody received the e-mail like
>you
> would do with certified mail? >>
>
>george,
>
>there are some mailing programs that will allow send you a notification when
>the receiver has read the mail you sent..... but it's not available on all
>mailing programs.

Yes, I have it with Eudora. But the problem is you have options,
i.e., reply now; reply later; never reply. So it is somewhat
useless. But then again so is certified mail, if the recipient
doesn't pick it up.

>there's another glitch to contemplate-- unless you're sending
encrypted email,
>using a program such as PGP, how can you be positive that email hasn't been
>tampered with enroute? it's highly unlikely that a specific piece of mail is
>read by a third part and tampered with, yet that can occur.

Paranoia? Then again, I guess that's the legal world, eh?

George

George Matyjewicz, C.M.O. mailto:[log in to unmask]
GAP Enterprises, Ltd. http://www.gapent.com/
Moderator of E-Tailer's Digest http://www.gapent.com/etailer/
Your Resource for Retail on the Net
MYWEB - Marketing Your Web