]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CMPLAW-L Home

CMPLAW-L  June 1998

CMPLAW-L June 1998

Re: Dear list members... I have a question, well two.... polite answers prefered

Christopher L Chatfield <[log in to unmask]>

Internet and Computer Law Association <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:11:05 PDT

text/plain

Er yes............

Is an agreement communicated via email, where one party denies the
existance of the agreement or even knowledge of the other party's existance,
not only binding, but 'enforcable' as such?

Would it be possible to claim for example that a credit card payment was not authorised
but had been made from a number picked up at some hacker/cracker's site by the
individual claiming to be the payee, and then the email header forged?

Altenatively,  could not a syndicate make seperate payments for a selection of products
say Electronicaly Distributed Software and then, apparently independently, create the
impression that the trader was a serial fraudster eg: by sharing a zip file consisting of a jpg
image claiming they bought it as software.

How are these frauds detected?