LISTSERV Archives

CMPLAW-L Home

CMPLAW-L  June 1998

CMPLAW-L June 1998

Re: Another topic

Marc Tibbar <[log in to unmask]>

Internet and Computer Law Association <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 23:37:24 EDT

text/plain

While there may be a point made in the concept of turning over Windows to the
public domain, the reality remains that it will never happen. What everyone
really misses on this point is the fact that with controlling interest, the
firm can be moved (in name) to an offshore location without giving up it's
U.S. facilities (since they would then be own by a foriegn firm). This would
cause an end-run directly around the DOJ, as MicroSoft would then no longer be
reachable by the anti-trust laws, and may be considered also to be out of the
agreement they signed with DOJ several years ago that provides the leverage
for DOJ.
-- Marc Glasgow