LISTSERV Archives

CMPLAW-L Home

CMPLAW-L  June 1998

CMPLAW-L June 1998

Certified email??

Daniel Rua <[log in to unmask]>

Internet and Computer Law Association <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:11:06 -0400

text/plain

<< My question  is how do you verify that somebody received the e-mail li=
ke
you
 would do with certified mail? >>

Patty had a good point about encryption & tampering, but we also must consider
who the reader is on the receiving side.  There is no postmaster there to get
your signature before you read email. Thus a party could claim someone else
read the email (and deleted it) and there is no signature on record (or the
like) to rebut with.

Such a claim is stretching belief, but it brings out the problem possibly
addressed by digital signatures.  If the message is encrypted (with the user's
public key) then there could be a claim that only the private key owner (the
party) was able to read the message.

Note, however, that this only protects reading but not deletion.  I don't know
if any email programs forbid deletion in the absence of the private key.
Actually, that would be problematic in the case where a message is sent to you
using someone else's public key.

Random thoughts,
Dan...
UNC MBA/JD '99