CMPLAW-L June 1998

Re: Microserfs

Duane Abrames <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:32:30 +0000

text/plain

> At 06:14 AM 6/11/98 -0400, Hal Weiner wrote:
>
> >Just like PC to Macintosh, VHS to Betamax, Microsoft Windows dominates
> >the marketplace because it got there first, not because it is better than
> >its competition. Without starting a flame war, I would humbly point out as
> >a mere consumer and computer nerd the following, based upon experience of
> >using their stuff:
>
> Be as humble as you like, you're wrong.  WRT the Windows metaphor, XEROX
> got there first.  That's who MS and Apple both copied.

But not with a commercial product, and not with one that ran on the
(then and still) most popular hardware platform.  Microsoft was the
first to introduce a workable GUI for the PC crowd... and honestly, I
haven't seen a product that was a LOT better since.  If someone had
written a product that was honestly better, and gotten it out quick
enough, and marketed it well, they would have had a chance to beat
microsoft.  (assuming they could overcome the OEM bundling scam)

-Duane
Duane E. Abrames| Information Systems - Rutter & Montagna L.L.P.
[log in to unmask] |      http://www.rutterandmontagna.com
Steve Jackson Games MIB Cell Leader for Virginia (#2332)
Webmaster WEDGE e-zine http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/2287/