PSYART June 1998, Week 3

Consciousness Regained: Levertov's "Zeroing In" (fwd)

Norm Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:01:33 EDT

text/plain

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:33:21 -0500
From: Bill Benzon

At this year's Languaging conference in Denton, Denise Levertov's "Zeroing
In" was opened for analysis at that event's ritual luncheon (I believe
Margaret Freeman suggested this poem).  The conference headliners got to
make some remarks on the poem and then it was opened for general
discussion.  And that discussion got me interested in the poem.

I've attached my current rough ideas on the poem, moving through it from
beginning to end.  I may have included ideas from the Denton luncheon
without proper attribution.  However, I was not taking notes (too excited)
so I have no way of knowing just what ideas I've swiped from whom.

It seems to me that this poem is dealing with the deepest sort of pain we
carry with us.  As such it begs for psychoanalytic comment.  Comments
anyone?

Thanks,

Bill B

************

Zeroing In

1       'I am a landscape,' he said,
2       'a landscape and a person walking in that landscape.
3       There are daunting cliffs there,
4       and plains glad in their way
5       of brown monotony. But especially
6       there are sinkholes, places
7       of sudden terror, or small circumference
8       and malevolent depths.'
9       'I know,' she said. 'When I set forth
10      to walk in myself, as it might be
11      on a fine afternoon, forgetting
12      sooner or later I come to where sedge
13      and clumps of white flowers, rue perhaps,
14      mark the bogland, and I know
15      there are quagmires there that can pull you
16      down, and sink you in bubbling mud.'
17      'We had an old dog,' he told her, 'when I was a boy,
18      a good dog, friendly. But there was an injured spot
19      on his head, if you happened
20      just to touch it he'd jump up yelping
21      and bite you. He bit a young child,
22      they had to take him down to the vet's and destroy him.'
23      'No one knows where it is,' she said,
24      'and even by accident no one touches it.
25      It's inside my landscape, and only I, making my way
26      preoccupied through my life, crossing my hills,
27      sleeping on green moss of my own woods,
28      I myself without warning touch it,
29      and leap up at myself--'
30      '--or flinch back
31      just in time.'
32                      'Yes, we learn that.
33      It's not terror, it's pain we are talking about:
34      those places in us, like your dog's bruised head,
35      that are bruised forever, that time
36      never assuages, never.'

Denise Levertov's "Zeroing In" is thirty-six lines long and presents itself
as a conversation between an unnamed he and an unnamed she. First he
speaks, then she; this sequence is repeated twice giving us a total of six
converstational turns, three from each voice.  Or at least, that is a
resonable presumption.  But it is not obviously true.  In the first four
turns the speaking voice is explicitly indicated by the formulaic
assertions "he said" (l. 1), "she said" (l. 9), "he told her" (l. 17), and,
again, "she said" (l. 23). The voice is not so identified in the last two
turns, though it is not unreasonable to assume that the alternation
continues.  There are not, so far as one can discern, another other voices
available to speak those final turns.

1       'I am a landscape,' he said,
2       'a landscape and a person walking in that landscape.
3       There are daunting cliffs there,
4       and plains glad in their way
5       of brown monotony. But especially
6       there are sinkholes, places
7       of sudden terror, or small circumference
8       and malevolent depths.'

The initial two lines lay out the basic conceit within which this poem
unfolds.  Someone is reporting a conversation; someone in a position to
assert "he says". But just what he says is quite strange. While we could
ask just what it means that the speaker asserts himself to be both
landscape and person, what philosophical position is thus implied, that
question seems a bit old-fashioned. The issue rather, is, given that a
reader takes this assertion at face value, how does the poem unfold from
that premise? In asking that question we certainly have to note that the
premise does not follow standard language use. Landscapes do not ordinarily
have the power to speak--even those of us who assert, on this or that
occasion, that this or that landscape speaks to us do not imagine it giving
voice so literally as does Levertov's landscape. Beyond that, the narrating
he identifies himself with two radically different things, a landscape and
a person.

It seems to me that what we have to contend with is the cognitive
underpinning of personal pronoun use. First and second person pronouns
imply some relationship between the content of discourse and awareness of
discourse context; they are used when the addressor and address,
respectively, are being spoken about. ...

After that initial assertion we are told, impersonally, of the landscape.
Most particularly, the cliffs and plains, while contrasted with one another
(daunting versus glad) are contrasted with malevolent sinkholes. We might
also wonder whether or not this description is being given to us on behalf
of the landscape itself, or the person, or does it matter? Yet we can
wonder whether or not "daunting," "glad," "monotony," terror," and
"malevolent" have meaning to any but the walking person.

9       'I know,' she said. 'When I set forth
10      to walk in myself, as it might be
11      on a fine afternoon, forgetting
12      sooner or later I come to where sedge
13      and clumps of white flowers, rue perhaps,
14      mark the bogland, and I know
15      there are quagmires there that can pull you
16      down, and sink you in bubbling mud.'

Now we have the introduction of the female voice. The obvious question, of
course, is why female? What is the point of gendering these two voices
which are both landscape and walker? That is one issue.

But there is another. This (female) voice tells us of plant life, which was
absent from the first turn. The framing assertion aside, the first turn
presents us with inanimate features of the landscape. Now we have the
addition of plants, and, as we will see shortly, the next turn introduces
animal life. Thus the narrative course of the poem seems to be moving us up
the Great Chain of Being. That is another issue we must deal with.

Note, however, that the malevolent depths which were introduced in the
first turn are picked up in this, the second, turn. They are characterized
as quagmires and bogland and are given a minimal agency, the capacity to
"pull you/down".

17      'We had an old dog,' he told her, 'when I was a boy,
18      a good dog, friendly. But there was an injured spot
19      on his head, if you happened
20      just to touch it he'd jump up yelping
21      and bite you. He bit a young child,
22      they had to take him down to the vet's and destroy him.'

Now we have the introduction of a dog, one more level up the Great Chain of
Being from plants. And this dog had an injured spot on his head. Every
intuition I've got tells me that this injured spot is a poetic descendent
of the sinkholes of the first turn and the quagmires and bogland of the
second.  In keeping with my interest in how poems unfold in time, this
connection exists only in the performance of the poem. It arises during
performance and dissipates when the performance is over. It is not part of
the underlying cognitive and sensorimotor base from which the poem draws
its concepts and images.

Of course, if one imagines this world, the injured spot is not the same
literal object as any of those spots which can suck you under the earth.
But within the limited context of this turn, the injured spot is that Other
Thing, a source of pain and loss, and so plays the same role in this turn
as those danger spots play in the first two turns.

And this turn presents us with a story of pain and loss. The dog was a
(presumably beloved) pet of the (male aspect of the) narrative voice. A
young child (accidentally) touched the sensitive spot in the dog's head and
the dog (reflexively, mindelessly) bit the child in retaliation. In
consequence the dog was destroyed and (presumably) the narrator aggrieved.
This sequence is something that simply happened, with no deliberation--"if
you happened/ just to touch..."

Note that we now have two pains, that in the dog, and that in the young
child who loved him. Let us think of the dog as a descendent of the flowers
of the second turn, which are, in turn, descended from the inanimate land
of the first turn. The child, that is, the one who had the pet, is related
to the walker of the first two turns in that s/he is that person, but
earlier in life. The dog's injury thus is casaully  related to the child's
grief. If we step back from this progression I submit we'll see that we're
in the terrirtory that Levi-Strauss charted in his original exposition of
"The Structural Study of Myth" (19XX). The original opposition between
landscape and person has become an opposition between dog and owner and
thus has become considerably mediated. One the one hand we have the
sequence:

        landscape > bog > dog

On the other hand we have:

        person (walking) > person in childhood

These two are linked through the story of the child--is it the same, or
some other child?--touching the dog's sensitive spot and thus triggering a
chain of events leading to the narrative child's grief over the loss of
his/her dog.

23      'No one knows where it is,' she said,
24      'and even by accident no one touches it.
25      It's inside my landscape, and only I, making my way
26      preoccupied through my life, crossing my hills,
27      sleeping on green moss of my own woods,
28      I myself without warning touch it,
29      and leap up at myself--'

The female voice now begins really to zero in on the pain. Even if no one
accidentally touches it, even then I myself may touch it. Notice the phrase
"It's inside my landscape." The use of "inside" suggests that the landscape
is bounded, that it has an interior, or perhaps even that it is interior,
inside the walker's head perhaps. Notice also the use of "my," both linking
the landscape to the speaker but also distancing it. The fact that the
landscape is my landscape implies that there are other landscapes not mine.

However one resolves these issues, this turn leads to the image of this odd
being accidentally harming itself and then leaping up at itself. This
suggests that the child who accidentally touched the dog is also the child
who "had an old dog...when I was a boy." And that, in turn, implies that
the line 21 reference to "a young child" is, in fact, a denial and
projection of that identification. For, if the child who was bitten was the
narrator, then the standard form of reference would have been "He bit me."

Of course, the speaker is also identifying with the dog, for it is the dog
that leaps up, the speaker becomes the agent of that leap in line 29...

30      '--or flinch back
31      just in time.'

The most obvious thing about this, the fifth, turn is that it is so much
shorter than the others, two very short lines vs. 8 (1st), 8 (2nd), 6
(3rd), 7 (4th), 5 (6th). Equally obvious, it is a direct continuation of
the second sentence of the fourth turn, which, unlike the others, never
came to a stop. The male voice simply continues an utterance begun by the
female voice. The two voices have, in effect, (almost) become one. Finally,
there is no voice asserting that "he said"--and there is hardly room to
insert such an assertion without destroying the rush of this turn to
complete the assertion begun in the previous turn.  There is no longer an
external vantage point on this conversation.

How would the poem read without that observer to interpolate "he said" or
"she said" into the discourse? Would we even know that we are privy to a
conversation, much less one between a man and a woman?

32                      'Yes, we learn that.
33      It's not terror, it's pain we are talking about:
34      those places in us, like your dog's bruised head,
35      that are bruised forever, that time
36      never assuages, never.'

Like the fifth turn, the sixth lacks an external vantage point. And the
speaker--female?-- refers to "we" and "us" ( as well as to "your dog's
bruised head"). Given that there seems to be no one to assert that the
female voice asserted this, as there was no one to assert that the male
voice asserted the fifth turn, I am going to assert that this "we"
encompasses, not only the male and female voices, but also the narrative
marker. Finally, the terror of the first turn (l. 7) becomes reinterpreted
as pain, and that pain is seen as inhering in life itself.

What then has been accomplished in the course of this poem? What is the
effect of three voices having become one?

William L. Benzon          201.217.1010
708 Jersey Ave. Apt. 2A    [log in to unmask]
Jersey City, NJ 07302 USA  http://www.newsavanna.com/wlb/