Skip repetitive navigational links
View: Next message | Previous More Hitsmessage
Next in topic | Previous More Hitsin topic
Next by same author | Previous More Hitsby same author
Previous page (December 1998) | Back to main LRNASST-L page
Join or leave LRNASST-L (or change settings)
Reply | Post a new message
Search
Log in
Options:   Chronologically | Most recent first
Proportional font | Non-proportional font

Subject:

Re: LRNASST Digest - 6 Dec 1998 to 7 Dec 1998

From:

Gladys Shaw <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:29:06 +0000

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (1155 lines)

The new CRLA Peer Mentor Certification Program may be of help to any of you
who are thinking of implementing a mentor program, implementing mentor
training, or rewarding your mentors for the training and work they do. I
will be glad to send the information packet if you will email your mailing
address directly to me.HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!




At 12:00 AM 12/8/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Date:     Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:00:23 -0700
>Reply-To: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
<[log in to unmask]>
>Sender:   Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
<[log in to unmask]>
>From:     Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  LRNASST Digest - 6 Dec 1998 to 7 Dec 1998
>To:       Recipients of LRNASST digests <[log in to unmask]>
>
>There are 31 messages totalling 1275 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. Wondering about Ed.... (11)
>  2. Spoken English, Written English
>  3. Tutoring Manuals
>  4. Spoken English (3)
>  5. peer academic mentors (3)
>  6. Tutoring by Telephone
>  7. Reply: Re: Spoken English (2)
>  8. Remembering Ed... (3)
>  9. Supplemental Instruction National Survey
> 10. Speaking of Colloquial English... (3)
> 11. Holiday song for the math lab
> 12. Remembering Ed....
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 00:16:19 -0800
>From:    Catalina Colaci <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Perhaps somebody could initiate a message, addressed to the list where each
>one of us could include either a line or just a signature and then send it
>to someone who, in turn could deliver it to the family?
>
>At 10:03 PM 12/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Guy Kimura wrote:
>>
>>> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BE2049.8B636140
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>>
>>> I have bad news, I heard from Ed home campus that he passed away a few
>months ago.  We all will miss him.
>>>
>>> Guy
>>>
>>
>>I would like to express my codolences to the family.  What is it about the
>>good ones anyway?  One of our colleauges passed away on the first day of
>>his retirement.
>>
>>
>>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>x Bev Krieger                     x
>>x Kwantlen University College     x
>>x ACP Department                  x
>>x Langley Campus                  x
>>x 12666-72 Avenue                 x
>>x Surrey, BC Canada V3W 2M8       x
>>x Email:  [log in to unmask]      x
>>x Phone: (604) 599-3336           x
>>x Fax: (604) 599-3277             x
>>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:15:54 -0500
>From:    "Fernandez, Jody" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain
>
>All this makes me regret not being a member of this list earlier so that I
>could have had a chance to read Ed's words. Thank you all for everything you
>post - it makes a difference in my day.
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jan Norton [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>> Sent: Sunday, December 06, 1998 6:41 PM
>> To:   [log in to unmask]
>> Subject:      Re: Wondering about Ed....
>>
>> A new challenge for the new millenium: learning how to grieve a death in
>> the list-family, which, like many real families, is an oddly distancing,
>> oddly comforting group of people who both do and do not know each other.
>>
>> May we all find comfort in the ways that we need it most.
>>
>> _______________________________________________________________________
>>
>> Jan Norton, Director
>> Center for Academic Support             Phone: (816) 271-4536
>> Missouri Western State College          Email: [log in to unmask]
>> 4525 Downs Drive                        Fax: (816) 271-4574
>> St. Joseph, MO  64507                   Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 07:46:04 -0600
>From:    SHIREY A VANHOOK <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
>Me too!!
>
>Shirey Van Hook
>Academic Achievement Center
>Ozarks Technical Community College
>P.O. Box 5958
>Springfield, MO 65801
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:21:40 EST
>From:    Linda Evans <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Spoken English, Written English
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
>
>I've been reading this thread with interest.  Before I came into the
>learning assistance fold at the university level, I was first an
>elementary bilingual and ESL teacher and then a university-level ESL
>instructor.  The constant thread throughout has been an emphasis on
>literacy.  I agree with all that was said about ways to modify a
>dialect of English to a more standard form, and I wholeheartedly
>agree with the need to do so in order that the student might
>represent herself well in whatever setting she chooses to enter.
>
>I guess where the conversation began to attract my attention was the
>reference to allowing students to write however they choose, never
>mind using correct grammar, spelling, etc.  In all my training in
>whole language, phonetics, literacy, etc. I never encountered any
>authority who said that spelling and grammar should be ignored.
>Rather, the literature on invented spellings and whole language
>simply shifts the initial emphasis from a focus on the mechanics to a
>focus on meaning.  The impetus for doing so was that students were
>"word calling" in reading without comprehension, and writing essays
>which were executed with good mechanics but which said little.  The
>shift was meant to get students communicating and comprehending (the
>main purpose of literacy) and THEN to help them to polish up what
>they wrote or learn the phonetics for decoding from meaningful text,
>not words in isolation.  It may be that not all teachers followed
>through with the attention to mechanics, and from that whole language
>earned a bad name.  In any case, it seems that a balance must be
>brought when any "new" methodology is touted.  Many students benefit
>from direct instruction in grammar and phonetics and many students
>need a great deal of work with meaning-making whether reading or
>writing.  I find the whole language/phonetics controversy unnecessary
>and even damaging to the way we teach children to read.
>
>Just my two cents on a Monday morning!  Linda
>**********************************************************
>
>Linda S. Evans, Ph.D.
>Director, Reading & Learning Program, SVC 2124
>University of South Florida
>4202 E. Fowler Ave.
>Tampa, Florida 33620
>phone: 813-974-9308; fax: 813-974-5089
>[log in to unmask]
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:32:39 EST
>From:    "Ruth A. Doucette" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tutoring Manuals
>
>Sorry, thought that I had sent the memo directly to the individual who
>requested one.  I apologize to the list serve.  Ruth A. Doucette
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:31:31 -0600
>From:    DonGarnett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Spoken English
>
>I agree that written English also suffers.  Very irritating examples are
>often found on the local news, especially in smaller markets such as
>Lubbock, Texas, where I live.  Not only are errors in grammar frequent, the
>"talking heads" reading from the teleprompter apparently do not know the
>difference between what is right or wrong.  One of my pet peeves is the
>gradual change in what is first offensive, then tolerated, then accepted.
> Example:  "drug bust" becomes "busted" for arrested then "busted" for
>jaywalking.  Although some of my English teacher colleagues might call this
>the evolution of the English language, I can only see it as another example
>of lower standards or laziness.  Last night I heard a weekend anchor on
>television read, "The building was broke into."  GRRRR!
>
>
>Don Garnett
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:19:17 -0500
>From:    Deborah Pratt Sawoscinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
>I am so sorry to hear this.  Sometimes one is afraid to ask after such a
>long silence...  I, too, would like to express my condolences to his
>family if a group message is organized or an address provided...
>
>Thank you for letting us know, Guy.
>Deb Pratt
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:26:03 -0500
>From:    Barbara M Stout <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Spoken English
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
>Don: I enjoyed your email! I want to include the incorrect grammatical
>sentences "I should have 'did' it." and "...should have'went'." I notice
>these are frequently misused even by educated people. I had a friend that
>the misuse of laying and lying drove her crazy. Since English is not my
>field I don't know what the answer is. Is it the evolution of the
>language?? Barb
>
>Barbara M. Stout
>Supplemental Instructional Specialist
>University of Pittsburgh
>311 Wm. Pitt Union
>Pittsburgh, PA 15260
>1-412-648-7920
>
>On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, DonGarnett wrote:
>
>> I agree that written English also suffers.  Very irritating examples are
>> often found on the local news, especially in smaller markets such as
>> Lubbock, Texas, where I live.  Not only are errors in grammar frequent, the
>> "talking heads" reading from the teleprompter apparently do not know the
>> difference between what is right or wrong.  One of my pet peeves is the
>> gradual change in what is first offensive, then tolerated, then accepted.
>>  Example:  "drug bust" becomes "busted" for arrested then "busted" for
>> jaywalking.  Although some of my English teacher colleagues might call this
>> the evolution of the English language, I can only see it as another example
>> of lower standards or laziness.  Last night I heard a weekend anchor on
>> television read, "The building was broke into."  GRRRR!
>>
>>
>> Don Garnett
>>
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:14:32 -0600
>From:    Rebecca Cory <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: peer academic mentors
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Hi folks,
>
>I've been lurking on this list for over a year, posting maybe once or twice
>in that time, and have enjoyed listening in on some high quality
>conversations.  Now, I have a question... I tried to search the archive,
>and did an ERIC search, but could not find information, so here goes...
>
>I am interested in setting up a program for peers to serve as academic
>mentors for each other.  I spend a good amount of time every year speaking
>to First Term Seminar classes, and working with individuals to do
>one-on-one time management sessions.  This has gotten highly repetitive.
>AND, the First Term Seminar (FTS) director has put on his wish list that I
>go to EVERY FTS class next Fall- there are 46 of them!  So I would like to
>look at starting a program that would have 2 or 3 sophamores or juniors
>serve as academic role models.  They could visit some of these classes,
>work with the Intro Bio class, and meet one-on-one with students.  I see a
>lot of benifits to this program- it would give the students some valuable
>experience (especially if they want to go into education) and underclass
>students would be more likely to come to the office to see a peer than to
>see me.  These students would not be content tutors, they would work only
>on academic skills.
>
>Does anyone have a program like this?  Is there literature that discusses
>this sort of program?  If you know of such a program, can you tell me how
>it is organized, and what its strenghts and weaknesses are?  I'd love to
>hear as much as you are willing to tell.
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>
>Rebecca
>
>*************************
>Rebecca Cory
>Academic Counselor
>Head Resident of Rundstrom Hall
>Gustavus Adolphus College
>800 W. College Ave
>Saint Peter, MN 56082
>(507) 933-6124
>[log in to unmask]
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:27:16 -0500
>From:    Laura Symons <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Spoken English
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Thanks Everyone!
>
>My student came into my office and we read through all the responses to my
>question.  She decided to listen to CNN and watch the nightly news, to get
>the book one of you mentioned, and to meet with a coach here in the center
>on a weekly basis next semester.  Together, they will identify the major
>areas of difficulty and make charts for use in practice.
>
>Once again you (y'all) have proven what a wonderful resource this list is.
>My student is very grateful for the help and so am I.
>
>Laura
>
>Laura Symons
>Academic Resource Center
>Sweet Briar College
>Sweet Briar, Virginia 24595
>[log in to unmask]
>http://www.arc.sbc.edu
>804-381-6378
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:53:03 -0800
>From:    Kenneth Zech <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tutoring by Telephone
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>Have any of you had experience with tutoring by telephone?  If you have,
>and would be willing to tell me a little about how it works, or did
>work, or didn't work, could you contact me off the list at
>[log in to unmask]  The idea came up recently in a
>brainstorming session.  Would truly appreciate having the views of those
>with first-hand experience.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Kenneth Zech
>Instructor, Tutorial Services
>Reedley College
>Reedley, California
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:06:00 -0500
>From:    Elaini Bingham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Reply: Re: Spoken English
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
>
>Thanks to all of you who responded to Don's "grammatical problem"
>entry.  I have been so frustrated by many many people (even those with
>Ph.D.'s) who use the nominative case after a preposition.  Even those
>on TV, actors, etc. do it.  I don't believe we should accept that!!
>Example:
>Sharon gave it to Bill and I (UGH UGH). Clarence received the joint
>gift from Jim and I (UGH UGH).  It goes on over and over.  Let's
>correct these folks gently every time they do it, please.  Elaini
>
>----------------------
>Elaini L. Bingham
>Director Kellogg Institute
>National Center for Developmental Education
>Appalachian State University
>Boone, NC 28608
>(828)262-6102 Phone
>(828)262-2128 Fax
>[log in to unmask]
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:09:39 -0500
>From:    "Fernandez, Jody" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Reply: Re: Spoken English
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain
>
>        The grammatical error that irks me is the confusion of "real" and
>"really" as in " We had a real good time". Most of the time, my gentle
>corrections are accepted happily. Many people don't seem to realize they are
>speaking incorrectly. Still, I can't correct actors and newscasters who are
>perpetuating the error. Many people assume it's correct if they see it on
>tv. Peace- Jody
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:11:30 -1000
>From:    Guy Kimura <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----
=_NextPart_000_01BE21B9.38ED6160"
>
>Sorry I don't have any  additional information.  I am sure if you have his
work address, someone could forward your message.
>
>Guy
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From:   Annette Gourgey [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>Sent:   Monday, December 07, 1998 7:43 AM
>To:     [log in to unmask]
>Subject:        Re: Wondering about Ed....
>
>To Guy or anyone else who knows:
>
>Do you happen to have a home address for Ed's family?  I feel so
>sad about this news that I was thinking of sending them a note
>of condolence but all I have is his work address.
>
>Annette Gourgey
>[log in to unmask]
>
>Attachment Converted: "d:\net\eudora\attach\LRNASST Digest - 6 Dec 1998 to "
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:41:27 -0800
>From:    Roger Elrod <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
>
>I also agree with Lonna's well chosen words.
>
>In my selecting of emails to read on this list, I never skipped Ed's.  It
was self-interest on my part.  Ed had a wonderful way of weaving respect,
hope,  and wonder into his words and work.  I opened his emails with
expectation.  They were like gifts.
>
>Yes, we are in a new time.  I am feeling grief and sadness for someone "I
knew" on line.  I am grateful for that limited "relationship" and confident
of the significantly richer relationship enjoyed by Ed's family and friends.
>
>Roger Elrod
>
>>>> Lonna Smith <[log in to unmask]> - 12/5/98 3:50 PM >>>
>What a shock to hear that Ed Ketz passed away.  His messages were always a
joy
>to read.  Not only did they contain excellent, well-expressed ideas, they
were
>also filled with humor.  It was obvious that Ed was a talented educator as
>well as a heck of a nice guy.  What a loss!
>
>Lonna Smith
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:09:36 -0600
>From:    Jan Norton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: peer academic mentors
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
>You may want to contact Gladys Shaw about CRLA's new International Mentor
>Certification Program : 915.747.5366 (phone), 915.747.5486 (fax),
>[log in to unmask] (email).
>_______________________________________________________________________
>
>Jan Norton, Director
>Center for Academic Support             Phone: (816) 271-4536
>Missouri Western State College          Email: [log in to unmask]
>4525 Downs Drive                        Fax: (816) 271-4574
>St. Joseph, MO  64507                   Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:57:49 EDT
>From:    Lorraine Lavorata <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>
>How can I email a condolence message to the family? This is a great
>loss. Lorraine
>
>> Perhaps somebody could initiate a message, addressed to the list where each
>> one of us could include either a line or just a signature and then send it
>> to someone who, in turn could deliver it to the family?
>>
>> At 10:03 PM 12/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> >On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Guy Kimura wrote:
>> >
>> >> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BE2049.8B636140
>> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>> >> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>> >>
>> >> I have bad news, I heard from Ed home campus that he passed away a few
>> months ago.  We all will miss him.
>> >>
>> >> Guy
>> >>
>> >
>> >I would like to express my codolences to the family.  What is it about the
>> >good ones anyway?  One of our colleauges passed away on the first day of
>> >his retirement.
>> >
>> >
>> >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> >x Bev Krieger                     x
>> >x Kwantlen University College     x
>> >x ACP Department                  x
>> >x Langley Campus                  x
>> >x 12666-72 Avenue                 x
>> >x Surrey, BC Canada V3W 2M8       x
>> >x Email:  [log in to unmask]      x
>> >x Phone: (604) 599-3336           x
>> >x Fax: (604) 599-3277             x
>> >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> >
>> >
>>
>[log in to unmask]
>
>France is the only country with a 300m flagpole.
>Gustave Eiffel on the Eiffel Tower
>
>"All people have two countries and one of them is France." Benjamin Franklin
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:54:24 EDT
>From:    Lorraine Lavorata <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>
>Please send my condolensces to Ed's family and please put me on any
>list or group list to send condolenses. God bless his family.
>Lorraine
>>
>> Shirey Van Hook
>> Academic Achievement Center
>> Ozarks Technical Community College
>> P.O. Box 5958
>> Springfield, MO 65801
>>
>[log in to unmask]
>
>France is the only country with a 300m flagpole.
>Gustave Eiffel on the Eiffel Tower
>
>"All people have two countries and one of them is France." Benjamin Franklin
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:44:51 -0500
>From:    Steve Runge <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>For all of us who didn't know Ed and who now wish we did, did anyone save a
>number of his emails, and if not, is it possible the administrator could
>assemble a number of his postings from the archives and post them?
>
>Steve Runge
>Academic Skills Coordinator
>St. Lawrence U.
>Canton, NY 13617
>[log in to unmask]
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Roger Elrod <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Monday, December 07, 1998 2:00 PM
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>
>
>>I also agree with Lonna's well chosen words.
>>
>>In my selecting of emails to read on this list, I never skipped Ed's.  It
>was self-interest on my part.  Ed had a wonderful way of weaving respect,
>hope,  and wonder into his words and work.  I opened his emails with
>expectation.  They were like gifts.
>>
>>Yes, we are in a new time.  I am feeling grief and sadness for someone "I
>knew" on line.  I am grateful for that limited "relationship" and confident
>of the significantly richer relationship enjoyed by Ed's family and friends.
>>
>>Roger Elrod
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:35:27 EDT
>From:    Lorraine Lavorata <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>
>That would be a very loving tribute. Lorraine
>> For all of us who didn't know Ed and who now wish we did, did anyone save a
>> number of his emails, and if not, is it possible the administrator could
>> assemble a number of his postings from the archives and post them?
>>
>> Steve Runge
>> Academic Skills Coordinator
>> St. Lawrence U.
>> Canton, NY 13617
>> [log in to unmask]
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Roger Elrod <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: Monday, December 07, 1998 2:00 PM
>> Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>>
>>
>> >I also agree with Lonna's well chosen words.
>> >
>> >In my selecting of emails to read on this list, I never skipped Ed's.  It
>> was self-interest on my part.  Ed had a wonderful way of weaving respect,
>> hope,  and wonder into his words and work.  I opened his emails with
>> expectation.  They were like gifts.
>> >
>> >Yes, we are in a new time.  I am feeling grief and sadness for someone "I
>> knew" on line.  I am grateful for that limited "relationship" and confident
>> of the significantly richer relationship enjoyed by Ed's family and
friends.
>> >
>> >Roger Elrod
>>
>[log in to unmask]
>
>France is the only country with a 300m flagpole.
>Gustave Eiffel on the Eiffel Tower
>
>"All people have two countries and one of them is France." Benjamin Franklin
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:40:15 -0500
>From:    jhigbee <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Remembering Ed...
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>Not only did Ed contribute his humor and wisdom, and sometimes just
>plain common sense, to the list, he also took alot of time to respond
>off-list to people in need of a little lift, including me!  I used to
>tease my husband about my new penpal from Hawaii.  Ed would write about
>his biking, his night diving (scuba), and just make Hawaii come alive
>for me!
>
>Awhile ago (who knows how long?), Ed had let me know that things were
>just very hectic.  Remember all the times he took on updating our
>directory?  If he was ill for an extended period, I surely wish I had
>known!
>
>Jeanne Higbee
>--
>Jeanne L. Higbee
>Associate Professor
>Division of Academic Assistance
>The University of Georgia
>233 Milledge Hall
>Athens, GA 30602-5554
>Phone: (706) 542-0465
>FAX: (706) 542-0476
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:51:44 -0600
>From:    David Arendale <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Supplemental Instruction National Survey
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Dear LRNASST and SInet Friends,
>
>We have just mailed out the first national Supplemental Instruction survey
>to institutions in the United States.  The survey was sent to everyone who
>has attended a multi-day SI Supervisor workshop that was conducted  by a
>member of the UMKC SI staff or one of the official SI Certified Trainers.
>A different version of the survey will be developed for SI programs outside
>the U.S. and mailed in the next couple of months.
>
>If you receive a survey in the mail, I encourage you to complete it even if
>you have discontinued the SI program.  We have much to learn for both the
>current and former users of SI.
>
>If you have a SI program and do NOT receive a survey, a version will be
>placed on the SI homepage that you could complete and return.  I will make
>a posting about that in a few days.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-- David
>
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>David R. Arendale, Associate Director of CAD
>University of Missouri-Kansas City, Center for Academic Development
>5014 Rockhill Road, SASS #210, Kansas City, MO 64110-2499  USA
>Internet:  [log in to unmask]   Voice (Work):  816-235-1197
>Fax (Work):  816-235-5156   Voice (Home):  913-789-8314
>NADE Homepage:  http://www.umkc.edu/cad/nade.htm
>CAD and SI Homepage:  http://www.umkc.edu/cad/
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:42:00 -1000
>From:    Lianne Nagano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wondering about Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>I'm sorry that I did not respond earlier, but I needed to check with Ed's
>family.  If you would like to send any condolences, here is the family's
>address:
>
>  Mrs. Peggy Ketz
>  3931 Pili Drive
>  Honolulu, HI  96816
>
>We miss Ed so much in The Learning Center here at Honolulu Community
>College.  He provided major input into the development of our program.  His
>humor, ideas, and caring attitude toward students will be missed.
>
>--Lianne Nagano
>
>>------ =_NextPart_000_01BE21B9.38ED6160
>>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>
>>Sorry I don't have any  additional information.  I am sure if you have his
>>work address, someone could forward your message.
>>
>>Guy
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From:   Annette Gourgey [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>>Sent:   Monday, December 07, 1998 7:43 AM
>>To:     [log in to unmask]
>>Subject:        Re: Wondering about Ed....
>>
>>To Guy or anyone else who knows:
>>
>>Do you happen to have a home address for Ed's family?  I feel so
>>sad about this news that I was thinking of sending them a note
>>of condolence but all I have is his work address.
>>
>>Annette Gourgey
>>[log in to unmask]
>>
>>------ =_NextPart_000_01BE21B9.38ED6160
>>Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
>>
>>eJ8+IioSAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQTS5NaWNy
>>b3NvZnQgTWFpbC5Ob3RlADEIAQmAAQAhAAAAMkQ0QTU4NjBBNjZFRDIxMUJCRTIwMDYwOTc5RDRG
>>OUYALwcBBYADAA4AAADOBwwABwAIAAsAHgABABoBASCAAwAOAAAAzgcMAAcACAALAB4AAQAaAQEE
>>kAYAhAIAAAEAAAASAAAAAwAAMAAAAAALAA8OAAAAAAIB/w8BAAAAbQAAAAAAAACBKx+kvqMQGZ1u
>>AN0BD1QCAAAAACdPcGVuIEZvcnVtIGZvciBMZWFybmluZyBBc3Npc3RhbmNlIFByb2Zlc3Npb25h
>>bHMnAFNNVFAATFJOQVNTVEBMSVNUU0VSVi5BUklaT05BLkVEVQAAAAAeAAIwAQAAAAUAAABTTVRQ
>>AAAAAB4AAzABAAAAHQAAAExSTkFTU1RATElTVFNFUlYuQVJJWk9OQS5FRFUAAAAAHgABMAEAAAAz
>>AAAAJ09wZW4gRm9ydW0gZm9yIExlYXJuaW5nIEFzc2lzdGFuY2UgUHJvZmVzc2lvbmFscycAAAIB
>>9g8BAAAABAAAAAAAAAADABUMAQAAAAIBCzABAAAAIgAAAFNNVFA6TFJOQVNTVEBMSVNUU0VSVi5B
>>UklaT05BLkVEVQAAAB4AIDoBAAAAMwAAACdPcGVuIEZvcnVtIGZvciBMZWFybmluZyBBc3Npc3Rh
>>bmNlIFByb2Zlc3Npb25hbHMnAAALAEA6AQA4IAMA/g8GAAAAAwAAOQAAAAADAHE6AAAAAAMA/18A
>>AAAAAwD9XwEAAAAeAPZfAQAAADEAAABPcGVuIEZvcnVtIGZvciBMZWFybmluZyBBc3Npc3RhbmNl
>>IFByb2Zlc3Npb25hbHMAAAAAAgH3XwEAAABrAAAAAAAAAIErH6S+oxAZnW4A3QEPVAIAAAAQT3Bl
>>biBGb3J1bSBmb3IgTGVhcm5pbmcgQXNzaXN0YW5jZSBQcm9mZXNzaW9uYWxzAFNNVFAATFJOQVNT
>>VEBMSVNUU0VSVi5BUklaT05BLkVEVQAA25oBDYAEAAIAAAACAAIAAQSAAQAbAAAAUkU6IFdvbmRl
>>cmluZyBhYm91dCBFZC4uLi4AWggBA5AGAHALAAArAAAAAwA2AAAAAAADAAKACCAGAAAAAADAAAAA
>>AAAARgAAAABShQAA6Q4AAB4AA4AIIAYAAAAAAMAAAAAAAABGAAAAAFSFAAABAAAABAAAADguMAAD
>>AASACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAARgAAAAABhQAAAAAAAAsAAIAIIAYAAAAAAMAAAAAAAABGAAAAAAOF
>>AAAAAAAACwAFgAggBgAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAEYAAAAADoUAAAAAAAADAAGACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAA
>>RgAAAAAQhQAAAAAAAAMABoAIIAYAAAAAAMAAAAAAAABGAAAAABGFAAAAAAAAAwAHgAggBgAAAAAA
>>wAAAAAAAAEYAAAAAGIUAAAAAAAAeAAiACCAGAAAAAADAAAAAAAAARgAAAAA2hQAAAQAAAAEAAAAA
>>AAAAHgAJgAggBgAAAAAAwAAAAAAAAEYAAAAAN4UAAAEAAAABAAAAAAAAAB4ACoAIIAYAAAAAAMAA
>>AAAAAABGAAAAADiFAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAACAQkQAQAAAIAGAAB8BgAAWA8AAExaRnX2OafVAwAK
>>AHJjcGcxMjVyMgxgYzEDMAEHC2BukQ4QMDMzDxZmZQ+STwH3AqQDYwIAY2gKwHOEZXQC0XBycTIA
>>AJIqCqFubxJQIDAB0IUB0DYPoDA1MDQUIfMB0BQQNH0HbQKDAFAD1PsR/xMLYhPhFFATshj0FNCv
>>BxMCgAKRCOY7CW8wGt/6ZQ4wNRwKHSEc3x3pG/T/HhIcfyBPIA0fjx2/HA8QYPwyOCXaJvEmrye5
>>G/Qn4r8mTyofKd0pXyePK1Q5DlAfLqQwASgjMAACgnN0eepsB5BoCeB0AAATUAPwUGRjdGwKsVwy
>>WGGYZGp1MXAFEGdoBUI7FjIMAWMJwDJgAzBzbnxleBcwB7AFsADAAnNzsQBQc2IyFFAxYGET8PRc
>>awngcAuQMj8yowhg6zKQC4BlMaB2OWABQDObvwwwNGQoADdABKALgGcn8ek05mJhFxBkAiA1oDVG
>>5zHQM5A7kSAxMTMOUDaf/zevOL8AUTn8AKA0bjx/PYb/MSQPwD6PP59Arw5QOe9DD9tEHz2zMwKC
>>ExBjNmBLoZMzkD2wdGk5kCBEARCoYXVsBUBQCsBhCcDgYXBoIEYCITYkJUDoZmktD5A4AUA5MFAz
>>60cPMqNiCyByCVBSUhag2VJSdzQlQRcAcAHQTXJ/M79Kn0umT9BOkAUQAjAtQ08wA2E6IFRvV7BT
>>KHViagWQdFewRGHodGU6NiQ2T/9RD1If/1MvVDkxwD2jDiFLoTq2DlCbVW9WflI5gRcBIEg9kfsE
>>kDYkN1lvWn9bj1ydOQ8vXb8PkGlwCNBiCrB0OP9J+g9URhBfv2DGagBh0AtQvHkvT0BcsAsRYkVz
>>NiT/KABjP2RPZV9cr1RPa19sb+9tdVfSV3RYqTlvvzM/AzAdabM5c590r3qgRG9j/nUHgAIwBdBP
>>ABoBeNJ4MPd4cHFRAYBuWDAAYAnwTaDvfQACATXgXlJlAPB9ADGAknAegFx2CJB3awuAnmRrQICi
>>BPAHQGU3JUDfDgBxIj2CgfUCEG8FQhchGxLyWMBtC1FYwCBDOtRcXFcAb07hbU8wAxCbB5CEoE0N
>>4ANgc28BgFwgTwEgDeB/8FyGVkXrAMADEC5LcHR90BcQeHC7NSFncnhGMYgSTjRjAyDnEvMAgAWQ
>>bHZBoUbQDnD/NeCJ8gGQACCKgoDxfUEBwX+J8RbgD3AAAEbQDNABkCD+LhoSiegOUIqiTnB4wIsf
>>/4wvjT8PwEbQBYGO34/vkP92bGtARtBsjp+TX5RlKR+NbIHhkk+XL5RjYiAo/wKRmD+KM1lQle+a
>>r5u/nM//imBjEJ4Siu+ff6CPjWwoAP+eH6OfpK+lv4pgeACin6gvf6k/qkQK+QMweC95P3rNe4JT
>>BbByeSBJIEtx+QAQcXWDMBOABUAW4E3xvwBws0C0kE2jAiAHQCALgHd/cliwtUEutNCzYIURc2cI
>>cBOABpAgeQhgtERo6QQAIHcFsGu04hrwBBD2LLbAA3BlAiATgAWgTmB/NSB/cW2Tt1EFwAeBRlBn
>>/mW2UQqFCoWvBK/PsN8FQPB7R3V5u1+8Y2dwrQI/vL+9zwjBNPI1oBLyYmvkbWusEyBffYADEFih
>>6GF9LcUCT7GhC4C1cf5NusTFA7vLr2Zi/W8gwL//cL9xz2c/aE9pX2pvsqTDBuNXcwyCIEFuNWAC
>>QBOADkcIYbsAs0BbU01UAFA6Rk1DQkhAgENVTllWTS7TsuAuRURVXcavx7Ruu//I78n/yw9yv7Is
>>DCHDFQZgLwIw0ZQaIsMkTQIgZGF+ebjgTiCGkAbQBJATkDcLuOAv8DnPADc6NDM90eBNu8bcCVfR
>>3Q1MUgBOQVNTVEBMSQHioFNFUlYuQVL4SVpP4nDUYuAP3JFYJffdDWHQV7BX3gEGcT3RAaDhzEEg
>>RWQu6BHUv6+i/8B/wY/av7Kz5Bjgx9JgvvA+IAWxtKG5QsygE3F3aOXuQGvqAXM6vxx88LdF9nCA
>>YAOgdO5AtFQ9cLkRd7hmudLn4SfzQYUQAxB5/j+2YhBQzKC48QqFRlA1IP3nlHS34jVggXD2EViw
>>s1H/bZD2oguAgOE94IYQtsB/Af89wvYghADyYRNQWMAKhfgBnwWgfxAG8AnwhpAgYufB/wdAAyCz
>>YLRTt/G37uhGCoXP0f0KhQRQzrBoQH0QtLCodm0u/4IuCYB1w4YnfwHEWbvGfQACcAMAJgAAAAAA
>>AwAuAAAAAAALAAIAAQAAAAsAIwAAAAAACwApAAAAAAAeAHAAAQAAABsAAABSRTogV29uZGVyaW5n
>>IGFib3V0IEVkLi4uLgAAAgFxAAEAAAAWAAAAAb4iDQIWOa4dw42oEdK0tQAAwJyqwAAAHgBCEAEA
>>AAA8AAAAPEFEMkEyQUQ1OTY1QkQxMTFCQjU2MDA2MDk3OUQ0RjlGMDNGNEYwQHRsYy51aGguaGF3
>>YWlpLmVkdT4AQAA5ALS3tQMNIr4BAwDxPwkEAAAeAB4MAQAAAAMAAABFWAAAHgAfDAEAAAA4AAAA
>>L089SEFXQUlJIENPTU1VTklUWSBDT0xMRUdFL09VPVRMQy9DTj1SRUNJUElFTlRTL0NOPUdVWQAD
>>ABlAAAAAAAMA/T/kBAAAAwCAEP////8CAfk/AQAAAFQAAAAAAAAA3KdAyMBCEBq0uQgAKy/hggEA
>>AAAAAAAAL089SEFXQUlJIENPTU1VTklUWSBDT0xMRUdFL09VPVRMQy9DTj1SRUNJUElFTlRTL0NO
>>PUdVWQAeAPg/AQAAAAsAAABHdXkgS2ltdXJhAAACAfs/AQAAAFQAAAAAAAAA3KdAyMBCEBq0uQgA
>>Ky/hggEAAAAAAAAAL089SEFXQUlJIENPTU1VTklUWSBDT0xMRUdFL09VPVRMQy9DTj1SRUNJUElF
>>TlRTL0NOPUdVWQAeAPo/AQAAAAsAAABHdXkgS2ltdXJhAABAAAcwWBPw5wwivgFAAAgwDhq4Aw0i
>>vgEeADUQAQAAADwAAAA8QUQyQTJBRDU5NjVCRDExMUJCNTYwMDYwOTc5RDRGOUYwMzQ3NDRAdGxj
>>LnVoaC5oYXdhaWkuZWR1PgADAAYQnIpxlAMABxDIAQAAAwAQEAAAAAADABEQAAAAAB4ACBABAAAA
>>ZQAAAFNPUlJZSURPTlRIQVZFQU5ZQURESVRJT05BTElORk9STUFUSU9OSUFNU1VSRUlGWU9VSEFW
>>RUhJU1dPUktBRERSRVNTLFNPTUVPTkVDT1VMREZPUldBUkRZT1VSTUVTU0FHRUcAAAAAAwANNP0/
>>AAACARQ0AQAAABAAAABUlKHAKX8QG6WHCAArKiUXHgA9AAEAAAAFAAAAUkU6IAAAAABvaw==
>>
>>------ =_NextPart_000_01BE21B9.38ED6160--
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:03:21 -0600
>From:    Maureen Connolly <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Remembering Ed...
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>Ed Ketz's e-mail was
>
>      [log in to unmask]
>
>Maureen Connolly
>Elmhurst College
>
>
>
>
>
>jhigbee wrote:
>
>> Not only did Ed contribute his humor and wisdom, and sometimes just
>> plain common sense, to the list, he also took alot of time to respond
>> off-list to people in need of a little lift, including me!  I used to
>> tease my husband about my new penpal from Hawaii.  Ed would write about
>> his biking, his night diving (scuba), and just make Hawaii come alive
>> for me!
>>
>> Awhile ago (who knows how long?), Ed had let me know that things were
>> just very hectic.  Remember all the times he took on updating our
>> directory?  If he was ill for an extended period, I surely wish I had
>> known!
>>
>> Jeanne Higbee
>> --
>> Jeanne L. Higbee
>> Associate Professor
>> Division of Academic Assistance
>> The University of Georgia
>> 233 Milledge Hall
>> Athens, GA 30602-5554
>> Phone: (706) 542-0465
>> FAX: (706) 542-0476
>> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:05:35 -0700
>From:    Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: peer academic mentors
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Hiya :)
>
>We do not exactly have what you are asking about, but we do have one or two
>sophomore students who are assigned to EACH of our first year seminar
>classes. Since our classes are not divided by academic major, our student
>mentors are not assigned to particular sections based on their majors
>either. These sophomore mentors receive one hour of internship credit for
>their commitment and assist the faculty/staff mentor with running the class.
>I could easily see this group of students being trained to instruct on
>learning strategies. I have actually discussed with some people here
>possibly training our mentors to review certain things like Cornell method
>and the LASSI interpretation that we do each year.
>
>I hope that helps a little...
>
>Tracy
>
>
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I've been lurking on this list for over a year, posting maybe once or twice
>>in that time, and have enjoyed listening in on some high quality
>>conversations.  Now, I have a question... I tried to search the archive,
>>and did an ERIC search, but could not find information, so here goes...
>>
>>I am interested in setting up a program for peers to serve as academic
>>mentors for each other.  I spend a good amount of time every year speaking
>>to First Term Seminar classes, and working with individuals to do
>>one-on-one time management sessions.  This has gotten highly repetitive.
>>AND, the First Term Seminar (FTS) director has put on his wish list that I
>>go to EVERY FTS class next Fall- there are 46 of them!  So I would like to
>>look at starting a program that would have 2 or 3 sophamores or juniors
>>serve as academic role models.  They could visit some of these classes,
>>work with the Intro Bio class, and meet one-on-one with students.  I see a
>>lot of benifits to this program- it would give the students some valuable
>>experience (especially if they want to go into education) and underclass
>>students would be more likely to come to the office to see a peer than to
>>see me.  These students would not be content tutors, they would work only
>>on academic skills.
>>
>>Does anyone have a program like this?  Is there literature that discusses
>>this sort of program?  If you know of such a program, can you tell me how
>>it is organized, and what its strenghts and weaknesses are?  I'd love to
>>hear as much as you are willing to tell.
>>
>>Thanks for all your help.
>>
>>Rebecca
>>
>>*************************
>>Rebecca Cory
>>Academic Counselor
>>Head Resident of Rundstrom Hall
>>Gustavus Adolphus College
>>800 W. College Ave
>>Saint Peter, MN 56082
>>(507) 933-6124
>>[log in to unmask]
>>
>>
>
>      ..::''''::..  Tracy R. Benner
>    .;''   ::   ``;.  Living-Learning Area Coordinator
>   ::      ::      ::   Muskingum College
>  ::       ::       ::  163 Stormont St.
>  ::      .::.      ::  New Concord, Ohio  43762
>  ::    .:'::':.    ::  Office: (740) 826-8088
>   :: .:'  ::  ':. ::  Fax: (740) 826-8093
>    `;.    ::    .;'  Email: [log in to unmask]
>      ``::,,,,::''   "Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
>- John Lennon
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:35:52 EDT
>From:    Lorraine Lavorata <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Remembering Ed...
>
>Can we send condolences to his email?Lorraine
>
>> Ed Ketz's e-mail was
>>
>>       [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Maureen Connolly
>> Elmhurst College
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> jhigbee wrote:
>>
>> > Not only did Ed contribute his humor and wisdom, and sometimes just
>> > plain common sense, to the list, he also took alot of time to respond
>> > off-list to people in need of a little lift, including me!  I used to
>> > tease my husband about my new penpal from Hawaii.  Ed would write about
>> > his biking, his night diving (scuba), and just make Hawaii come alive
>> > for me!
>> >
>> > Awhile ago (who knows how long?), Ed had let me know that things were
>> > just very hectic.  Remember all the times he took on updating our
>> > directory?  If he was ill for an extended period, I surely wish I had
>> > known!
>> >
>> > Jeanne Higbee
>> > --
>> > Jeanne L. Higbee
>> > Associate Professor
>> > Division of Academic Assistance
>> > The University of Georgia
>> > 233 Milledge Hall
>> > Athens, GA 30602-5554
>> > Phone: (706) 542-0465
>> > FAX: (706) 542-0476
>> > E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>>
>[log in to unmask]
>
>France is the only country with a 300m flagpole.
>Gustave Eiffel on the Eiffel Tower
>
>"All people have two countries and one of them is France." Benjamin Franklin
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:56:46 -0700
>From:    Patrick Schutz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Speaking of Colloquial English...
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
>   My favorites follow:
>
>1.  Misuse of the word *seen*:  As in "I seen the plane crash."
>
>2.  Colloquial misuse of the word *all*:  As in "I'm like all surprised that
>    you are like -- all worried about how I -- like speak!" (accent on
>    last word)
>
>3.  Non-reverent use of the word *God* in everyday speech in reference to
>    mundane, non-spiritual matters: As in "Oh God. I forgot to put the
milk in
>    the macaroni and cheese."
>
>Pat Schutz
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:20:04 EDT
>From:    Lorraine Lavorata <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Speaking of Colloquial English...
>
>How about the famous, "It is like um the ..." My students use this in
>their oral presentations a great deal.
>
>How about "kinda sorta", "alls we do", and of course the dreaded use
>of the word "ain't". Lorraine
>
>>    My favorites follow:
>>
>> 1.  Misuse of the word *seen*:  As in "I seen the plane crash."
>>
>> 2.  Colloquial misuse of the word *all*:  As in "I'm like all surprised
that
>>     you are like -- all worried about how I -- like speak!" (accent on
>>     last word)
>>
>> 3.  Non-reverent use of the word *God* in everyday speech in reference to
>>     mundane, non-spiritual matters: As in "Oh God. I forgot to put the
milk in
>>     the macaroni and cheese."
>>
>> Pat Schutz
>>
>[log in to unmask]
>
>France is the only country with a 300m flagpole.
>Gustave Eiffel on the Eiffel Tower
>
>"All people have two countries and one of them is France." Benjamin Franklin
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:10:35 -1000
>From:    "John M. Flanigan" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Speaking of Colloquial English...
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
>A new (used) TV set that I just installed has programmed channel. The
>channel on which I usually watch CNN had, instead, MTV. It was presenting
>a contest of teen models on a beach in Miami. Accompanied by a a rapper,
>the models strutted their stuff on an outdoor runway flanked by screaming
>teens and post-teens.
>
>In the spirit of anthropological curiousity, I watched for awhile and
>noticed that the language of this cultural group relied heavily on the
>phrases "out there," "like, real," "no way," and other such modern
>colloquialisms.
>
>It occurred to me that most of my students would be much more likely to
>emulate the behavior and speech they see there than the behavior I model
>in the classroom--however superior (ahem!) my model might be. We may be
>fighting a losing battle!
>
>John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
>Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
>Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
>Honolulu, Hawaii                                    --Bill Walton
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 20:50:22 -0500
>From:    TSD99 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Holiday song for the math lab
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>The Twelve Days of Christmaths
>
>
>         On the first day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         A path in a covering tree
>
>         On the second day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the third day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the fourth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the fifth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the sixth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the seventh day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         7 Sylow subgroups
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the eighth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         8 Maps a-mapping
>         7 Sylow subgroups
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the ninth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         9 Loops a-lifting
>         8 Maps a-mapping
>         7 Sylow subgroups
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the tenth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         10 Doctors droning
>         9 Loops a-lifting
>         8 Maps a-mapping
>         7 Sylow subgroups
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the eleventh day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         11 Parallelopipeds
>         10 Doctors droning
>         9 Loops a-lifting
>         8 Maps a-mapping
>         7 Sylow subgroups
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>
>         On the twelth day of Christmaths my true love sent to me
>         12 Profs a-proving
>         11 Parallelopipeds
>         10 Doctors droning
>         9 Loops a-lifting
>         8 Maps a-mapping
>         7 Sylow subgroups
>         6 Games a-playing
>         5 Goldie rings
>         4 Fermat primes
>         3 False proofs
>         2 Tangent planes
>         And a path in a covering tree.
>Date:    Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:18:55 -0800
>From:    Catalina Colaci <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Remembering Ed....
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Dear co-listers,
>For those of you that would like to read again Ed's postings, you can do it
>through the web.
>
>The LRNASST archives are accessible at
><http://listserv.ccit.arizona.edu/lsv/www/lrnasst.html>
>
>Once there,choose Search Archives, type "Ed Ketz" in the Author's window.
>There are 243 messages starting Oct/94.
>
>Check them out, you may enjoy it.....   CC
>
>At 08:15 AM 12/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>All this makes me regret not being a member of this list earlier so that I
>>could have had a chance to read Ed's words. Thank you all for everything you
>>post - it makes a difference in my day.
>>
>

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

November 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020
July 2020
June 2020
May 2020
April 2020
March 2020
February 2020
January 2020
December 2019
November 2019
October 2019
September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011, Week 3
January 2011, Week 2
January 2011, Week 1
January 2011
December 2010, Week 5
December 2010, Week 4
December 2010, Week 3
December 2010, Week 2
December 2010, Week 1
November 2010, Week 5
November 2010, Week 4
November 2010, Week 3
November 2010, Week 2
November 2010, Week 1
October 2010, Week 5
October 2010, Week 4
October 2010, Week 3
October 2010, Week 2
October 2010, Week 1
September 2010, Week 5
September 2010, Week 4
September 2010, Week 3
September 2010, Week 2
September 2010, Week 1
August 2010, Week 5
August 2010, Week 4
August 2010, Week 3
August 2010, Week 2
August 2010, Week 1
July 2010, Week 5
July 2010, Week 4
July 2010, Week 3
July 2010, Week 2
July 2010, Week 1
June 2010, Week 5
June 2010, Week 4
June 2010, Week 3
June 2010, Week 2
June 2010, Week 1
May 2010, Week 4
May 2010, Week 3
May 2010, Week 2
May 2010, Week 1
April 2010, Week 5
April 2010, Week 4
April 2010, Week 3
April 2010, Week 2
April 2010, Week 1
March 2010, Week 5
March 2010, Week 4
March 2010, Week 3
March 2010, Week 2
March 2010, Week 1
February 2010, Week 4
February 2010, Week 3
February 2010, Week 2
February 2010, Week 1
January 2010, Week 5
January 2010, Week 4
January 2010, Week 3
January 2010, Week 2
January 2010, Week 1
December 2009, Week 5
December 2009, Week 4
December 2009, Week 3
December 2009, Week 2
December 2009, Week 1
November 2009, Week 5
November 2009, Week 4
November 2009, Week 3
November 2009, Week 2
November 2009, Week 1
October 2009, Week 5
October 2009, Week 4
October 2009, Week 3
October 2009, Week 2
October 2009, Week 1
September 2009, Week 5
September 2009, Week 4
September 2009, Week 3
September 2009, Week 2
September 2009, Week 1
August 2009, Week 5
August 2009, Week 4
August 2009, Week 3
August 2009, Week 2
August 2009, Week 1
July 2009, Week 5
July 2009, Week 4
July 2009, Week 3
July 2009, Week 2
July 2009, Week 1
June 2009, Week 5
June 2009, Week 4
June 2009, Week 3
June 2009, Week 2
June 2009, Week 1
May 2009, Week 5
May 2009, Week 4
May 2009, Week 3
May 2009, Week 2
May 2009, Week 1
April 2009, Week 5
April 2009, Week 4
April 2009, Week 3
April 2009, Week 2
April 2009, Week 1
March 2009, Week 5
March 2009, Week 4
March 2009, Week 3
March 2009, Week 2
March 2009, Week 1
February 2009, Week 4
February 2009, Week 3
February 2009, Week 2
February 2009, Week 1
January 2009, Week 5
January 2009, Week 4
January 2009, Week 3
January 2009, Week 2
January 2009, Week 1
December 2008, Week 5
December 2008, Week 4
December 2008, Week 3
December 2008, Week 2
December 2008, Week 1
November 2008, Week 5
November 2008, Week 4
November 2008, Week 3
November 2008, Week 2
November 2008, Week 1
October 2008, Week 5
October 2008, Week 4
October 2008, Week 3
October 2008, Week 2
October 2008, Week 1
September 2008, Week 5
September 2008, Week 4
September 2008, Week 3
September 2008, Week 2
September 2008, Week 1
August 2008, Week 5
August 2008, Week 4
August 2008, Week 3
August 2008, Week 2
August 2008, Week 1
July 2008, Week 5
July 2008, Week 4
July 2008, Week 3
July 2008, Week 2
July 2008, Week 1
June 2008, Week 5
June 2008, Week 4
June 2008, Week 3
June 2008, Week 2
June 2008, Week 1
May 2008, Week 5
May 2008, Week 4
May 2008, Week 3
May 2008, Week 2
May 2008, Week 1
April 2008, Week 5
April 2008, Week 4
April 2008, Week 3
April 2008, Week 2
April 2008, Week 1
March 2008, Week 5
March 2008, Week 4
March 2008, Week 3
March 2008, Week 2
March 2008, Week 1
February 2008, Week 5
February 2008, Week 4
February 2008, Week 3
February 2008, Week 2
February 2008, Week 1
January 2008, Week 5
January 2008, Week 4
January 2008, Week 3
January 2008, Week 2
January 2008, Week 1
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
April 2001
March 2001
February 2001
January 2001
December 2000
November 2000
October 2000
September 2000
August 2000
July 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999
October 1999
September 1999
August 1999
July 1999
June 1999
May 1999
April 1999
March 1999
February 1999
January 1999
December 1998
November 1998
October 1998
September 1998
August 1998
July 1998
June 1998
May 1998
April 1998
March 1998
February 1998
January 1998
December 1997
November 1997
October 1997
September 1997
August 1997
July 1997
June 1997
May 1997
April 1997
March 1997
February 1997
January 1997
December 1996
November 1996
October 1996
September 1996
August 1996
July 1996
June 1996
May 1996
April 1996
March 1996
February 1996
January 1996
December 1995
November 1995
October 1995
September 1995
August 1995
July 1995
June 1995
May 1995
April 1995
March 1995
February 1995
January 1995

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTS.UFL.EDU

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager