PSYART December 1998, Week 2

Re: A phrasing of the death instinct

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:14:02 -0500

text/plain

From:
       Dan Moonhawk Alford <[log in to unmask]>

Mon 20:36

> From:
>        KIRBY C FARRELL <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Sun 22:03
> ------------------
> Norm & folks,
>
> While Byatt's formulation is lucid, it seems to me to grotesquely
> reduce complex motives, as Freud himself does.  Under continual threat
> of loss of control and death, soldiers may undertandably resort to
> magical thinking, fatalism, etc.  I've tried to consider some of these
> behaviors in _Post-Traumatic Culture_, as Jonathan Shay does in his
> admirable _Achilles in Vietnam_.

Give it up, people! Haven't you figured out that Freud's work is all
couched in a system of metaphors based on the fluid mechanics of sewage?
(Re-, de-, sup-, and other forms of '-pression')!! There's been a whole
century of relativity/quantum physics theorizing about the nature of
reality which totally escaped Freud. Why are we still stuck in metaphors
of a Newtonian clockwork universe -- especially now that we know in the
20th century (all of it) that reality is an interaction between the
Newtonian and the Einsteinian realities, an interaction between form and
meaning, that reality is constructed of private TIMES social, not plus.

It is the western habitual confusion between PLUS and TIMES (dichotomous
vs comprehensive thinking patterns) that obscures the difference between
"magical" thinking and merely "pseudo-logical" thinking based on the
grammatical biases within a particular language.

So the very fact that Western languages are like Euclidean geometry in
the
same way that many Native American languages I can point to are more
like
non-euclidean geometry, the same way Newtonian science is different from
20th-century science (with a predominance of verbs rather than our
grammatical insistence on nouns being present), shows that the human
mind
and human languages are much more flexible than usually granted --
indeed,
that the same differences in mathematical languages (Euclidean gives an
excellent view of parts on a uniform imaginary plane while non-Euclidean
gives a view of wholeness rather than disconnected parts) are available
in
human languages as well (explaining why Native Americans could have a
wholeness language as their daily language, and thus why they have a
pre-knowledge of quantum structure of reality, while Western scientists
have to ABANDON their daily languages and embrace a non-euclidean
language
AND ITS WAY OF THINKING in order to apprehend wholeness).

Excuse me for trying to bust through all the post-modern rhetoric (which
is why I abandoned English as a discipline to follow linguistics --
because the latter depended on real data rather than the latest hot-air
opinion), but something more is required of us at the end of this Age
than
semantic masturbation in our own language regarding dead metaphors of
old
white farts! This is a time to embrace the synthesis of a global spirit
of
humanity.

I know that sounds PC, but it's not what I mean. I lived on an Indian
Reservation in Montana for four long years (*winter* AND summer), and I
have made it my life's work to explore the subtle ramifications of what
experienced during those four years and afterwards.

My paid job was to learn the language and produce an alphabet and
writing
system. Fine. I'd acquired English as my first language, and thereafter
learned (to some degree) Spanish and Latin in high school (neither of
which could actually be spoken anywhere), German in Junior College
(where
fluency began after I dreamed I was speaking and understanding it), and
taking classes in the African languages of Luganda and Igbo. BUT --
while
I'd acquired the rudiments of different languages in months to a couple
of
years, I was NEVER able to wrap my mind around Cheyenne in four long
years
of experience in its homeland -- never able to even conceive of how
different it was (my linguistics training never prepared me for HOW
different) from other languages I had learned.

I should add that whereas my interests kept drawing me toward real world
languages, this was in contrast to my UCLA Chomskyan-inspired training
of
the "ideal speaker hearer" -- a theoretical entity: a fiction not living
on Earth who has only a Left Hemisphere and no evolutionary or cultural
history with any other Earth creatures (with no Reptilian brain, Limbic
System, or Right Hemisphere, those parts we share with the rest of
Life's
creatures -- each brain with its own "language" IMHO, all of which taken
together comprise "Language" from the human perspective); basically, a
"mathematically pure entity" that has nothing to do with any living,
breathing creature. Somehow, despite all the governmental monies beIng
spent by the Air Force to investigate and financially prop up this quite
pregnant theoretical worldview at UCLA with RA- and TA-ships, I kept
being
inextricably drawn to "breathers" rather than mathematical purities --
and
abruptly found myself (as a much sought-after alternative to killing
other
"breathers" in VietNam) investigating a RADICALLY different form of
human
language than can be found anywhere else on Earth than right here in the
Americas.

However much this may have strayed from what seemed to be the starting
point about Freud, the larger point remains that most "explanatory"
metaphors about knowledge remain rooted in pre-20th century explanations
of reality. Native American languages present as much a confounding to
that placid cognitive sea as relativity/quantum physics presented to
Newtonian minds. 99.99% of all talk about "language" in Western European
languages is couched in the (similarly outdated as Freud's choices)
conceptual mechanical metaphor of the container/conveyor. It's as if
Einstein and relativity/quantum physics never existed! Yet that's the
way
of daily talk, which still now subscribes to the fiction of "sunrise"
and
"sunset," a long-ago disproven concept discarded in favor of a
heliocentric universe in science, and hasn't yet adopted the new, really
cool/mod/hot/phat term of "earthturn".

warm regards, moonhawk