Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  February 1999

BRCA-L February 1999

Re: breast reconstruction

"Norbert F. Alberstadt, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:49:22 -0500

text/plain

Dee Jones Adams wrote:

> Dear all.....
>
> I'm curious, has anyone had any success with nipple reconstruction?
> Specifically, it seems most of the women I know here have no, how do you say,
> protrusion after a while.  Just wondered what others have to say about this.
>
> Dee
I had a nipple reconstruction that was successful..at least five years
post surgery anyway. My Plastic Surgeon is Charles Hergrueter from the
Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. I have not seen him in a
year. I usually would stop by and say hello when I go back for my check
ups with the oncologist. I assume he is still there. My nipple was
reconstructed from the skin on my back. Right after the surgery the
nipple protrusion was quite large/long. He waited a while before he cut
it as they do tend to retract. I recall being concerned as to how long
it was even after he cut it. He said trust me..you will be happier later
for this. He was right. It did shrink somewhat but it is pretty "normal"
looking right now and does not seem to be changing. i will probably need
another tatoo  soon as the color of the nipple has faded.