Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  February 1999

BRCA-L February 1999

Re: breast reconstruction

"Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:56:46 -0800

text/plain

It's actually pretty coincidental that this topic is coming up just now
because we spent about an hour last night in a support group talking
about reconstruction with some show and tell for a new member who is
about to do her reconstruction.  I will use letters for names in this
discussion.

One of the subjects that came up last night was nipples.  One woman (A)
is waiting for hers while another (B) is in the middle of getting hers
to match.  B's surgeon says that when he reconstructs the nipple, he
starts out small and, if necessary, will go back to make it bigger
because things shift around for a bit after any surgery.  He's gone back
once after the original nipple reconstruction and that nipple is about
2/3s the size of the other (original) at this point.  She said that he
wants to go back one more time in a month or so to finish it up.  For
B's areola, she has a tattoo.  BTW - The reconstructed nipple looks
good, it simply doesn't match the other one.

A is waiting to get her nipple.  The first plastic she talked to (NOT
one of the ones on the list I gave the other day) said he'd make the
nipple from vaginal tissue. She said, "Not mine", and hasn't seen that
dude since!  She said that the guy she's got now will do a tattoo for
the areola.

One other person who wasn't at the group had her nipple reconstruction
using a skin graft from the upper inside of her thigh and it looks quite
good.

HTH.

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]