Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  April 1999

BRCA-L April 1999

Re: DCIS and hormone replacement, etc

Breast Cancer Online Support Group <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:28:30 EST

text/plain

Hi Kathleen,
I do not have as much heart disease in my family, but have some.  I also have
osteoporosis.  I take an IV drug called aredia, as well as the calcitonin
salmon (Mia-Calcin) nasal spray daily.  I have virtually no side effects from
them.  Drying of the nasal cavity sometimes causes nosebleeds (something I
have had a lot in my life).  I find if I coat each nostril with vaseline or
antibacterial salve at night it helps a lot.  Also, the aredia sometimes
causes vein cramping when administered peripherally.   A hot pack helps.  I
finally got smart and had a port-a-cath put in last week.  When I got aredia
on Tuesday 3/30, there was no cramping at all in the deeper vein.
I am 42, original breast cancer was diagnosed in 4/92 (CAF, radiation,
tamoxifen);  recurred in 4/95 w/ pathologic break of humerus (radiation, no
more tamoxifen - cytadren and replacement hydrocortisone instead, taxotere)
and 10/95 pathologic fracture of left acetabula ( no more taxotere, no more
cytadren / hydrocortisone,  radiation);  3/96 HDC w/  SCR and ABMT (cytoxan,
thiotepa, mitoxantrone,  then arimidex as hormone blocker);  3/97 bone mets
again apparent in same locations (discontinued arimidex, began Megace);  8/97
mets advancing (discontinued Megace, began taxol 9/97).   I am still on taxol,
having had treatment # 24 yesterday. It is keeping my disease stable.  I take
Neupogen (GCSF) for 10 days during each cycle.  I was on a study for ProCrit (
2 shots weekly w/ accompanying iron supplements).  After the study, I
continued the ProCrit for awhile, but now am able to maintain my red count on
my own.    While not without side effects, this protocol is the most tolerable
I have had.  I am very blessed that prayers and medical research are keeping
me alive.
Hope this information helps. You will be in my prayers as you make your
decision regarding the best treatment for you!!  Lenora Austin