Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Items of Interest

"John M. Flanigan" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Apr 1999 22:30:22 -1000

TEXT/PLAIN

...and your point is?

How fortunate he (and we) are that he suffered (and was strengthened by?)
sufficiently many failures that his unusual talent was finally requited.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every one of our non-succeeding students had a
comparable talent? If they do, do we help them find it by continuing to
encourage them in the continuing, often futile, effort to achieve success
in academia? Would Schultz have become what he is if compassionate mentors
had persisted in encouraging him to pursue some different and less
appropriate goal?

I am an unrepentant champion of liberal arts education, and
enthusiastically endorse efforts to make educational opportunities
available to all who can benefit most from such endeavors. But I hesitate
to encourage heroic effort from individuals who do not appear to be able
to succeed in such pursuits, and who, like Schultz, might achieve more by
directing their energies in some different direction. I fail to understand
why we academicians behave as though success in academia is the only
worthy goal, and look down upon the lowly arts and trades. By so doing, we
fail to validate their educational legitimacy, and we fail to encourage
the development of valid alternatives for those of our students who could
better benefit from a different, but equally estimable, educational
experience.

John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
4303 Diamond Head Road                              --Bill Walton
Honolulu HI  96816                      History is the final arbiter.
(808) 734-9371                                      --Edward Gibbon

April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
January 2021