PSYART April 1999, Week 2

Re: Serbia (fwd)--Yonatan's comments

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:46:42 -0400

text/plain

From:
         "Yonatan" <[log in to unmask]>

8:27 AM

         Re: Re: Serbia (fwd)--Yonatan's comments
     To:
         "Institute for Psychological Study of the Arts"

Dear friends

It seemed fit that on this day, on the eve of the Holocaust Memorial Day
would refer and comment on the multitude of opinions and
counter-opinions
that resulted out my attack on the writer from Belgrade, in hope of
calming
the debate, and focusing on the main issues.

The first question is, I think: Is this forum the adequate arena for
such a
debate? The answer is yes, and with a capital Y. We deal with psychology
and
art. Art is the materialization of our spiritual and cultural existence.
This existence stems from this trait that separates us from other
animals.
It is this Humane-ness that is the assembly line on which our creations
are
being molded. If representations of war are worthy of analysis as
extensions
of human creativeness, and thus of this humane-ness, than a discussion
of
the Object of representation is a close reading of the manufacturing
body of
our artistic activity, thus of the core of Humane-ness as an object of
study.
Not to mention the fact that in reaction to traumatic circumstance it is
psychology that we call to the rescue. And as a forum that deals with
psychoanalysis, we proud ourselves with Detachment, looking at the
patient
(and respectively at a work of art) from the Outside.

So now that I have rationalized the right of existence of this debate on
this forum, I would like to make my opinion clear on this matter. Some
postings here referred directly to my post, and some only in passing, so
feel obliged to address these comments.

In 1943, Jewish delegates came respectively to Roosevelt and Churchill,
imploring them to shell the concentration camps, or at least the railway
lines leading to them. They were politely denied. Not on the grounds of
anti-Semitism as is the common notion, but on the plain basis of total
disbelief. In the days that preceded our communicated world, with no
intelligence and communication satellites to probe the Earth, the mere
idea
of what we refer to in the spine chilling phrase Ethnic Cleansing was
inconceivable. And not only to the Allies, mind you. German citizens,
who
did not even know to what scale did the was escalate to could not
imagine
their neighboring Jews being fried at the same moment they (the Germans)
were contemplating their neighbors sudden disappearance.

We can not hide behind this wall of denial, or of ignorance this time. I
am
sorry, but the reports you are getting are not partial, and are not
biased
by NATO wish to terminate Milosevicís regime by delegitimizing it as an
Ethnic-Cleansing regime. How do I know that? Well, Israel is by no means
NATO member, and to a certain extent our (sorry excuse for a)
governmentís
agenda is rather reluctant to see a big and intimidating Muslim state in
Central Europe. During the aforementioned WWII, the Serbs were among the
only nations that stood up for its Jewish minorityís right to survive,
at
the risk to their own lives. The Israeli embassy was the last to
evacuate
from Belgrade, and the Serbs were not even once been condemned by
Israeli
government. So you can safely regard Israel as an impartial side in this
war. The fact that our friendship with the US should determine our
agenda is
cancelled by the frequent collisions with the US administration over
matters
regarding Israelís affairs with its Muslim neighbors.

So how does it look from over here? Let me start by the facts as they
are
seen from our communication systems: We have our own coverage provided
by
our own two TV channels. We get CNN and the Yugoslav TV as well, so we
can
not be blamed for impartial coverage. What we see is the following
picture:
The borders of Yugoslavia with Macedonia and Albania are flooded with
refugees. Not the usual fleeting of refugees you see fleeing war zones,
as
we so many times witnessed in Asia and Africa, but a steady overflow of
refugees, not in numbers that we hear of, but in quantities we can count
with our eyes. There are now almost 1 million refugees, and counting!!
The
trains of refugees that got to the Albanian border, the caravans of
refugees
that flooded Macedonia, all had the same in common: No men! Only women,
children, and elders. Where were the younger men? Maybe they joined the
Serb
army, who knows? By the testimony of the refugees themselves, the men
were
shot dead on the spot. Lies? Biased NATO spies in disguise, or maybe
coached
refugees citing a text they know will score them points on the
international
media? Still, no one answers the questions: How come so many refugees,
and
where are all the men?

So I think that the fact that Kosovo is plagued with the most horrid
Ethnic
Cleansing since WWII is indisputable, even if I do not point a finger
and
blame anyone for something that we have no direct proof for. The people
in
Yugoslavia can not justify that by saying, as the Germans and other
Europeans did: I know nothing. Knowledge has struck your door, and it
carries the offensive scent of death. What I was referring to in my
first
message was exactly that: By sitting in your house and not contesting
the
massacres and deportations, you are passively collaborating in the
carrying
out of the worst crime against humanity that I can think of. If in WWII
people could claim, with so much truth in it that they did not know,
this
excuse is null and void by now. Ignorance may be bliss, but it is
diabolic
when you turn a blind eye to reality, while trying to attain sympathy
that
you yourself fail to hand out to your fellow man who is being butchered
in
your own backyard.
Is that to say that I support bombing of civilians, and is joyous in
their
misery? Give me a break! I ache for the 15 year old girl who is afraid
to go
to sleep at night. My heart goes out for all those who died in NATO
bombings. But, I fear that by better access to our media (e-mail in that
case), they seem to get portrayed as the sole victims of a cruel war
waged
by NATO on a peace-loving country. In my country, in 1982, Arab
Christians,
not Israelis, slaughtered 1,500 Muslims in Beirut, who was under Israeli
Army's control at the time. We had 400,000 people protesting in the
streets
that night, and later brought down the Minister of Defense as the
responsible. Here, thousands are being slaughtered, over a million
people
are being scared off their homes with death threats, EVERYONE knows it,
and
still, instead of contesting it, they roll up their eyes and say: Sorry,
but
we are the victims here!

So, as much as I ache and sympathize with them, I can not ignore their
complacency at the sight of the horror being articulated by their own
army,
and some civilians too. What I meant to say in the first message, and I
am
not retracting by an inch is that victimization, especially
auto-victimization is earnable. If they would stand up to their
governmentís
actions, show some remorse, anything, I would not hesitate to support
their
cause. If they do not, then they agree with it to a degree. It deprives
them
of their humane-ness, what right do they have to ask others for theirs?

I realize I am not being as PC as is very popular these days. I know
that in
this Post Modern world we live in, that we assume to be so fragmented
and to
a certain extent scopophilic these is only the truth that is
manufactured.
This leads you to believe that your friends, who are Serbs, who have the
access to the e-mail, to the English language, and to your Occidental
thinking are representable as cases of human misery in the making. I
believe
their misery. But there was not even one e-mail from an English speaking
Albanian from Kosovo. These people have no homes to fear for in time of
shelling, let alone computers and e-mails, and for 15 civilians that we
(including me) mourn here as a result of NATO bombing, there are
estimated
25,000-40,000 dead and over a million homeless refugees out there. Not
even
one of all the reputable and honorable participants of this forum
expressed
any kind of sympathy that was on par with that they expressed for the
Serbs
whose messages were posted here, and we all live under the influence
that we
are being cheated by NATO manipulated CNN, to the point that we forgot
who
really suffers.

We dedicate the Holocaust Memorial Day not only to the plight of the
Jews in
Europe of 1939-45, but to the miseries of all persecuted nations
everywhere.
That means making choices and preferences. I dedicate this day to the
terrible holocaust being brought upon the Kosovian Albanians, and wish
give them all the moral support they need to overcome such a colossal
tragedy.

For all of you who sit with your hands behind your backs. For all of you
that are so educated that you feel a need to analyze the simple truth as
it
hits you on the nose, today our roads separate, because by detachment
and
standing on the side, we allow this to happen, just as all the world let
it
happen before. Shame on us all!

Yonatan Glaubman
Israel