PSYART April 1999, Week 4

Re: Query: Awe

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:50:28 -0400

text/plain

From:
         "Donald L. Carveth" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed 3:47 PM

> From:
>
> Sun 11:11 PM
> I have recently been thinking about the experience of "awe" in everyday
> life.
> I would be interested if people had any thoughts about it in a
> psychoanalytic sense.
>
> Phyll

Phyll, the following excerpt from an essay of mine ("Dark
Epiphany : The Encounter with Finitude or the Discovery of the
Object in _The Body_." _Psychoanalysis & Contemporary Thought_
17, 2 (Spring 1994): 215-250) seems relevant to your query as to
psychoanalytic approaches to the experience of awe.

<<Whereas the first two definitions of "epiphany" offered by the
Concise Oxford Dictionary are quite specific--the "manifestation
of Christ to the Magi" and the "manifestation of a superhuman
being" (p.324)--it is in the third and broader sense, that of
"manifestation" in general, that I am employing the term in my
title.  I do not think it far-fetched to draw an analogy between
the journey of these four adolescent boys to view the dead body
of Ray Brower and that of the Magi to view the living body of the
newborn Christ-child.  Although in one instance the result of the
journey is a revelation of the beginning of life and in the other
of its termination, in both cases there is an epiphany, a
manifestation of one or the other of the two fundamental
mysteries of the human condition.
        In 1917 Rudolf Otto published his study of The Idea of the Holy
or of what he called the "numinous" dimension of human
experience.  For Otto, according to Alistair Kee (1971):

                "The experience is illustrated by reference to Abraham
who,
when confronted by God, felt himself to be as `but dust and
ashes'.  It is more than dependence: it is
`creature-consciousness'. ...   For Otto, `The numinous is thus
felt as objective and outside the self.' ... It is characterized
by `mysterium tremendum', the experience evoked occasionally by
old churches or solemn rites.  It involves a mixture of elements
of awe.  There is shuddering fear in the presence of the
`uncanny', when we stand `aghast'.  The primitive (Old Testament)
experience of God may break through, exposing us to a
non-rational power which is both `incalculable and arbitrary'.
... Before this `Wholly Other', different in kind from us, we are
filled with dread, yet drawn by wonder.  This is the element of
fascination.  The numinous experience, the encounter with the
Wholly Other involves the complex elements of mysterium tremendum
et fascinans.  We should flee from its awfulness, dread and
horror, and yet we are attracted and invited to surrender"
(pp.10-11).

I think we can recognize many of these numinous qualities in the
mysterious attraction, fascination, awe, dread, wonder and fear
felt by these boys on their quest for an encounter with the
uncanny, "incalculable and arbitrary" reality of death in the
form of the body of Ray Brower.
        Just as in the symbolism of Christianity there is both an
epiphany of light and an epiphany of darkness--the imagery of the
babe in the manger, baptism and resurrection contrasting with
that of Christ's passion and death upon the Cross, so in The Body
both aspects of the numinous find representation.  Although the
dark epiphany of death certainly predominates, there is
nonetheless an epiphany of light as well, namely Gordie's
solitary viewing of a deer:

        "I don't know how long I sat there on the rail ....  I was about
to get up when I looked to my right and saw a deer standing in
the railroad bed not ten yards from me.
                My heart went up into my throat so high that I think I
could
have put my hand in my mouth and touched it.  My stomach and
genitals filled with a hot dry excitement.  I didn't move.  I
couldn't have moved if I had wanted to.  Her eyes weren't brown
but a dark, dusty black--the kind of velvet you see backgrounding
jewelry displays.  Her small ears were scuffed suade.  She looked
serenely at me, head slightly lowered in what I took for
curiosity .... What I was seeing was some sort of gift, something
given with a carelessness that was appalling.
                We looked at each other for a long time ... I think it
was a
long time.  Then she turned and walked off to the other side of
the tracks, white bobtail flipping insouciantly. ... She didn't
look back at me and didn't need to; I was frozen solid. ...
                It was on the tip of my tongue to tell them about the
deer, but
I ended up not doing it.  That was one thing I kept for myself.
I've never spoken or written of it until just now, today.  And I
have to tell you that it seems a lesser thing written down, damn
near inconsequential.  But for me it was the best part of that
trip, the cleanest part, and it was a moment I found myself
returning to, almost helplessly, when there was trouble in my
life" (p.390).

        Despite the darkness of the manifestation of death in the form
of Ray Brower's broken body, the numinous quality of the boy's
experience of the entire journey is clear:

                "This is a really good time," Vern said simply, and he
didn't
mean being off-limits inside the dump, or fudging our folks, or
going on a hike up the railroad tracks into Harlow; he meant
those things but it seems to me now that there was more, and that
we all knew it.  Everything was there and around us.  We knew
exactly who we were and exactly where we were going.  It was
grand (p.335).

        Although their encounter with "the body" certainly entails a
loss of childhood innocence, it at the same time offers an
opportunity for a type of awakening or illumination--a third or
existential as distinct from both our first or biological and our
second or psychological birth (Mahler et al., 1975).  For through
this dark epiphany there arises the possiblity of resurrection
from the rather oblivious and egocentric condition of Freud's
(1914) narcissism, Klein's (1986) paranoid/schizoid position,
Lacan's (1977) Imaginary and Winnicott's (1969) relations with
subjective objects--to the more chastened, aware and
existentially serious and responsible attitude characteristic of
object love, the depressive position, the Symbolic and relations
with objective (as opposed to subjective and transitional)
objects characterized by a "capacity for concern."  Despite their
many differences, not least in regard to the developmental timing
of these events, each of these psychoanalytic frameworks offers
an essentially similar account of the emergence from narcissistic
subjectivity and the discovery of the object, that is, an account
of transcendence of egocentricity and of encounter with that
which, like Otto's numinous, is felt to be "objective and outside
the self"--like the deer Gordie encounters on the train tracks,
and like Ray Brower's dead body.
        The transcendent meaning of their journey appears to have been
implicitly understood by the boys:

                "Unspoken--maybe it was too fundamental to be
spoken--was the
idea that this was a big thing. ...
        There's a high ritual to all fundamental events, the rites of
passage, the magic corridor where the change happens.  Buying the
condoms.  Standing before the minister.  Raising your hand and
taking the oath.  Or, if you please, walking down the railroad
tracks to meet a fellow your own age halfway ....  It seemed
right to do it this way, because the rite of passage is a magic
corridor and so we always provide an aisle--it's what you walk
down when you get married, what they carry you down when you get
buried.  Our corridor was those twin rails, and we walked between
them, just hopping along to whatever this was supposed to mean.
You don't hitchhike your way to a thing like that, maybe.  And
maybe we thought it was also right that it should have turned out
to be harder than we had expected.  Events surrounding our hike
had turned it into what we had expected it was all along: serious
business" (p.399; King's emphasis).

If in the course of their adventure the boys appear to go through
a rite of passage analogous to certain of the initiation rites,
spirit quests and ordeals of pre-literate cultures, perhaps it is
the case that such rites have the unconscious function precisely
of arranging the sort of epiphany capable of promoting the
transcendence of narcissism--a transcendence which might well be
thought of as an essential part of the process of growing up.
        According to Heidegger (1927), it is by means of a "marginal
experience"--such as the shocking recognition of the reality of
personal death--that an individual may be shaken out of
inauthentic and awakened to authentic existence.  I think there
is some justification for associating the narcissism of
Winnicott's relations with subjective objects with the pathology
of his "false self" and with Heidegger's inauthentic existence,
and Winnicott's relations with objective objects with his "true
self" and with Heidegger's authentic being-in-the-world.
        Contrary to the psychoanalytic fundamentalism that insists upon
taking theoretical concepts exclusively on the literal level
(Carveth, 1984, 1993b), I think the following equations are--no
doubt at the risk of some oversimplification--nevertheless both
justifiable and useful.

Freud      narcissism                       object love
Freud      pleasure principle               reality principle
Klein      paranoid-schizoid position       depressive position
Lacan      Imaginary                        Symbolic
Lacan      specular ego                     subject
Mahler     separation-individuation phase   object/self constancy
Winnicott  subjective object (transitional) objective object
Winnicott  false self                       true self
Heidegger  inauthentic existence            authentic existence
St. Paul   flesh                            spirit
St. Paul   Adam                             Christ

--
Donald L. Carveth, Ph.D.
http://www.website2u.com/Carveth/Home.htm