PSYART April 1999, Week 4

MEDIUM OF VIOLENCE

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 16:21:59 -0400

text/plain

From:
         John Fraim <[log in to unmask]>

Sat 11:28 AM

Norm,

Thought the group might be interested in
the following we just sent out as one of our continuing INSIGHTS.

Best regards,

John Fraim

-----------------

I N S I G H T S
Symbolic Perspectives On Popular Culture
The GreatHouse Company

April 24, 1999 • Number 13

THE MEDIUM OF VIOLENCE
"The Medium Is The Message" - Marshall McLuhan

In the wake of the recent high school shooting tragedy in Colorado, the
nation's collective attention is focused on the problem as pundits
prescribe remedies like new types of doctors to cure our ills. Parents
are partly to blame. The school has some fault. Our increasingly violent
popular culture consisting of TV programs, songs, books, video games and
web sites also bears part of the blame. And our overall society takes
blame for being violent. The irony of President Clinton's lamenting the
tragedy on national TV while bombs fell in Serbia was only too evident
for many Americans.

The fingers keep pointing like they do each time a great tragedy occurs.
Not surprisingly, they point away from ourselves to other groups, to
other forces in society and culture. They never point back on ourselves
and question if all of us are responsible in some way in creating or
supporting the violent "zeitgeist" of the post-modern world.

Pointing fingers may not point in the right direction but we need to
remember that the act of pointing itself is more important than the
location of the point. Fingers need direction to point towards and
direction needs place. So, these efforts at locating the "evil" of
Columbine High School are similar to most everything we do in our
content oriented western culture in our perpetual attempt to put
everyone and everything in its own place. (A place for everyone and
everyone in their own place) Once in place, this evil has been isolated,
cut away from ourselves like a bad, cancerous seed. It can now be
analyzed and perhaps "bombed" out of existence. If it can't be destroyed
then at least it might be "locked" away from us normal, good people in
the rest of society.

When will we realize that all of us are the problem, that violence is a
type of air we all breathe today? When will we realize it infiltrates
the water we drink, the screens we all view, the sounds we all hear? It
is not any particular place. Not Hollywood. Not Madison Avenue. Not
Serbia. Not Littleton, Colorado. Not anywhere but rather everywhere. It
is the type of "medium" Marshall McLuhan once talked about but we run
around in this medium searching for "messages," or clues. In our search
for "clues" to the big "villain," the one "evil" we run around like a
bunch of children on a collective scavenger hunt.

But even this hunt itself is influenced by the polluted environment we
all live in, the air we all breathe, the increasingly short attention
span of our collective interest. We will forget in a number of weeks,
our attention directed toward some new "blockbuster" event of the
moment. Something new will wedge its way onto the cover of People
Magazine, some new "celebrity" interest will surely push its face onto
the cover of Entertainment Weekly. In our post-modern world, events are
little more than products and brands, competing for the public attention
of the moment. And this attention gets shorter and shorter as
information increases, as the "hits" keep on coming over our radios,
onto our television and computer screens, onto our bestseller lists.

The experts and pundits are similar to paparazzi, attracted to the
"celebrity" events of the moment like bugs around a yellow summer porch
light. Pulled toward popular events by the "flash bulb" gravity of
public attention. Once the flashes die down they swarm onto the next
popular event of the moment.

Government commissions will again be created. Think tank "wisemen" will
write long reports. School officials will hold countless meetings. But
in the end, nothing will really change and our ship of state will
continue full speed ahead into the ice bergs like a modern Titanic
without anyone at the helm. The captain has retired for the night and
there are only a few kids up in the crow's nest with cheap binoculars.
And the result will be more serious violence in our schools. And more.
And more.

And also the marketing machine of late capitalism will continue little
affected by the tragedy. Manufacturing its entertainment products that
help the nation return to its state of sleeping trance. Feeding its
continual muzak back into culture, surrounding all of us in the new
information medium like a vast "data smog" so that it becomes
increasingly difficult to see the proverbial forest for the trees.

We blame Hollywood for making products that cause all of the violence.
We blame the schools for not recognizing the problems. We blame the
increasing number of guns in culture for the violence. We blame
particular types of parents.

Yet in our pointing finger blame, we fail to see that the violence is
itself a "product" of our modern culture. And that we are all
"manufacturers" of this violence. Only when we realize that this
violence is made everywhere and not just in Littleton, Colorado will the
winds of change slowly start to roll in over our republic.

© 1999 - John Fraim

(Note: Are there some positive suggestions for ways out of our dilemma
which don't "point fingers?" We think there are. Using state-of-the art
internet technolgy and the techniques of modern marketing, we offer some
suggestions in future INSIGHTS.)

INSIGHTS is a free publication sent regularly to a list composed of
leading ...

• Film Companies
• Advertising Firms
• PR Firms
• Business Leaders
• University Professors
• Business Publications
• Internet Entrepreneurs
• Market Research & Public Opinion Firms
• Business & Coummunication Organizations

Comments? Someone we should include on our email list?
Please send to us at ... [log in to unmask]

John Fraim, President
The GreatHouse Company
5422 Diane Way
Santa Rosa, CA 95409
707-537-8749

The GreatHouse Company is a research, consulting and publishing firm
with a focus in the area of symbolism and popular culture. GreatHouse
monitors and comments on popular culture trends and products (films, TV,
advertising, internet sites, books, songs, toys, cars, magazines, etc.)
as well as leading edge business and marketing ideas. GreatHouse has
created and maintains a relational database (FileMaker Pro) on leading
products and brands of popular culture. INSIGHTS is a regular internet
publication from GreatHouse. Coming soon to a "screen" near you - our
website on symbolism ... Symbolism.Org.

John Fraim has been an analyst with one of the world's largest
corporations, President of a Bay Area marketing consulting firm and a
corporate marketing executive. He has a BA in History from UCLA and a JD
from Loyola Law School (LA). His book Spirit Catcher won the 1997 Small
Press Award and his articles have appeared in a number of leading
publications. He is a member of Publishers Marketing Association and the
American Marketing Association and lives in the Sonoma County area of
northern California.

Forthcoming From GreatHouse ---
•Symbolism of Place:The Hidden Context of Story (Fall 1999)
•The Symbolism of Popular Culture:Dynamics of Leading Brands, Products
and Entertainment Genre (Spring 2000)

Some Advance Comments on Symbolism of Place ...

"John Fraim's Symbolism of Place is a veritable feast for the mind and
heart! A must-read for all storytellers for the screen, page or
crackling campfire!"

Lew Hunter
Former Chairman, UCLA Screenwriting Department

"John Fraim's Symbolism of Place succeeds in fulfilling a very ambitious
vision - to understand the psychological, dramatic, and cultural
significance of place in the stories we tell and the stories we watch
closely in film, television, and advertising. He establishes highly
original uses of analytic psychology and unique research methods that
permit him to monitor cultural changes, and he offers his insights with
fine narrative skill. The book is truly excellent."

Donald Williams
Training Analyst, Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts
Founding Editor of WWW.CGJUNG.COM

"John Fraim's book about the vocabulary and syntax of 'place,' and how
these are used by the popular media, comes on the heels of several other
works concerned with the communication value of place, space and
territorial borders. It is curious, but not serendipitous, that such
works are appearing just as our rootedness in physical places and
communities is being eroded by the mass media and emerging digital
technologies. So Fraim offers readers a powerful reminder of the
symbolism of place - that communication invariably takes place in
context, and that physical context takes on powerful semiotic features
across communication media and genres. Fraim masterfully blends Jungian
psychology, semiotics, and popular culture studies to make his argument,
offering readers - those of us on the receiving end of mass messages,
and related messages - a path out of cynicism and conventional media
criticism, to informed analysis and insight."

Stuart J. Sigman, Ph.D.
Dean, School of Communication, Management & Public Policy,
Emerson College
Consulting Editor, The GreatHouse Company

"A well thought out piece tracing the importance and potency that place
symbolism has in communications. What is detailed in an academic fashion
herein Hollywood became aware of in the late 40s or earlier when they
closed down their studios and realized that they must turn the whole
countryside into their studio. This is a fine exploration and
examination. A most interesting piece of work."

Nelson Thall
Director of the McLuhan Project
Center for Media Studies, University of Toronto

"John Fraim is an engaging writer, with genuinely important insights
into modern life and culture. Symbolism of Place is sure to be a major
publishing event."

Mel Faber, Ph.D
Professor of English Literature Emeritus, University of British Columbia