PSYART April 1999, Week 4

Re: Moses on ethnic cleansing

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 17:06:22 -0400

text/plain

From:
         Norman Rosenblood <[log in to unmask]>

1:44 PM

 Re Bible as seedbed for a tradition of ethnic cleansing

        One might cast an eye over history in general for examples of
groups and institutions advocating some form of self-justifying violence
towards others based upon greed, ideology, injured narcissism, revenge
and
honour.
For simplistic starters:

        o The Trojan War
        o The Roman Empire
        o The Crusades
        o The Spanish Inquisition
        o The British Empire
        o Colonization of North and South America and Africa
        o The Third Reich
        o The Vietnam War
        o Genital mutilation of women

It would not be a difficult task to find quotations from representatives
of all of the above that would indicate that they believed that they
were
justly pursuing legitimate goals. It would appear that Freud's point in
CIVILIZATION AND ITS DISCONTENTS is apposite:"...it is impossible to
overlook the extent to which civilization is built upon a renunciation
of
instinct, how much it presupposes precisely the non-satisfaction (by
suppression, repression or some other means?) of powerful instincts." It
follows  that one must ask what is meant by "civilization" and how that
renunciation is to be brought about. And of course, what is an
"instinct"?

Norman Rosenblood

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Norman Holland wrote:

> From:
>          KIRBY C FARRELL <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Fri 11:44 AM
> From:          Stuart William Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> > Thu 10:24 PM
> >

> > Exodus, 34:11-14:
> >
> > "Observe what I command you today.  See, I will drive out before you the
> > Amorites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perezzites, the Hivites, and
> > the Jebusites.  Take care not to make a covenant with the inhabitants of
> > the land to which you are going, or it will become a snare among you.
> > You
> > shall tear down their altars, break their pillars, and cut down their
> > sacred poles (for you shall worship no other God, because the Lord,
> > whose
> > name is Jealous, is a jealous God)."
> >
> ======
>
> Thanks to Stuart William Taylor for putting ethnic cleansing into some
> historical perspective.  The 20th century has fantasized that its
> atrocities have been unique, when in fact the authority systems of
> Judaeo-Christian western culture have been just as susceptible to ethnic
> fury as other groups across the planet, and from the start.  If
> anything,
> Deuteronomy 20:10-18 is even more explicitly a rationalization of
> exterminatory conquest than the passage quoted above, and in _God: A
> Biograaphy_ Jack Miles explicitly sees them as genocidal.  The point, I
> would think, is that in focussing on particular victims and villains as
> unique, we lost sight of how widespread and practical the threat is, and
> how important it is for the animal to devise better means of managing
> it.  It took some thousands of years for us to make water and sewage
> supply a basic part of our thinking about settlement, and even though it
> seems more global and abstract, the ethology of ethnic and demographic
> (population) conflicts needs to undergo the same sort of development.
> I'd guess that the death-anxiety which makes groups hostile to birth
> control and women's reproductive rights worldwide--including the US
> Congress--
> is implicated in the dynamics that produce spasmodic ethnic cleansing.
> It's painful that history, migrations, and birthrates move faster than
> our thinking.
>
> Kirby Farrell
>
> -------------
>
> U Massachusetts, Amherst
> Post-Traumatic Culture:
> http://www.umass.edu/english/farrell/
>
> ------------------------------------
> Here is the rather remarkable passage Kirby refers to:
>
> 020:010 When thou comest nigh unto a city to fight against it, then
>         proclaim peace unto it.
>
> 020:011 And it shall be, if it make thee answer of peace, and open
>         unto thee, then it shall be, that all the people that is found
>         therein shall be tributaries unto thee, and they shall serve
>         thee.
>
> 020:012 And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war
> [...]

Norman Rosenblood, Ph.D., Training and Supervising Analyst
c/o Chester New Hall, Room 415
McMaster University
1200 Main Street West                   Telephone (905) 525-9140, Ext.
24495
Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4L9
Canada