PSYART April 1999, Week 5

INSIGHTS #14

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:05:00 -0400

text/plain

From:
         John Fraim <[log in to unmask]>

Wed 1:06 PM

Norm,

Thought the group would be interested in latest INSIGHTS from
GreatHouse.

Best,

John

I N S I G H T S
Symbolic Perspectives On Popular Culture
The GreatHouse Company

April 28, 1999 • Number 14

BRANDING OF BUSINESS THEORY
The Race For The New "Blockbuster" Theory

"For the time being I gave up writing   - there is already too much
truth in the world – an over-production which apparently cannot be
consumed!"
Otto Rank (Letter to a friend in 1933)

Does management and business theory really progress or merely move
through cycles, back and forth, somewhat like Schumpeter's economic
cycles? Are new theories really old theories dressed a little
differently for the particular time? Are business ideas and theories
similar to products and brands with their own promoters and marketers
who attempt to differentiate them from all the others?

In the "From The Editors" section of the March-April 1999 Harvard
Business Review, the Editors suggest that this in fact might indeed be
the case with their lament to the increasing "now more than ever" call
to action hype of management pundits and business gurus. Within this
increasing type of "data smog" of information, the HBR Editors see an
increasing need to "cut through" all the hype of business "truth" to
"explore the ideas that help managers unravel the complexities of the
economy and of organizations."

Ironically, the quasi-science of business theory and management seems
another victim to that post-modern condition where more information
brings more confusion rather than more understanding. Paradoxically, the
business pundits contribute to the "complexities" of the economy and
organizations rather than clarify them. The increase in the number of
consumer products offered each year, the increased amount of data, the
increased segmentation of media and markets, has also brought forth an
increase and segmentation in our scientific and intellectual theories.
The area of business and management theories has been one of the hardest
hit.

_____________________

THEORY AS PRODUCT
_____________________

It is time to ask if theories themselves are types of products and
brands in our new information age. And, if they are, might they also be
subject to the laws and cycles of products and branding, with growth and
decline life cycles, economic value only in differentiation rather than
relationship.

The implications of theories as products has far greater impact in the
business area than in the consumer area. It is one thing when consumers
become confused by the various brands of cereal in the local supermarket
but quite another when our business leaders become confused from the
increasing number of theories coming and going with the fashion of the
season somewhat like the ups and downs of skirt length dictated by the
runways of Paris fashion moguls.

One can trace the source of this to the tendency in a late system of
capitalism to make commodities or "things" out of both objective and
subjective forms of life. The result is that we all bear witness to the
increasing branding and packaging of American thought and ideas. To work
as products in this new marketplace, economic value comes from
differentiation not commonality or alignment. This is the paradigm for
business pundits, the American academia, the think tanks of Washington
and the multi-billion dollar consulting industry. This is what makes
them continue to shout like barkers at a great carnival "Now more than
ever" listen to my ideas. There is economic value in segmentation and
differentiation but little value in finding and integrating
relationships. The modern marketing mantra confirms this viewpoint with
its current buzzword of "differentiation." In fact, under modern
marketing laws, sameness is a sure receipt for failure.

________________________________

THE PRODUCTS OF CONSULTING FIRMS
________________________________

The lesson of branding is practiced by American management consulting
firms and is well documented in The Witch Doctors: Making Sense of
Management Gurus by John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge, Staff
Editors of The Economist. They find the business world overrun by fads
created by management gurus who come from high-powered consulting firms,
business school professors and motivational speakers. As the authors
argue, these people are modern day witch doctors, promising the cure for
what ails corporate America.

The findings of Witch Doctors is confirmed by Dangerous Company where
journalists James O'Shea and Charles Madigan show the huge price and
small solutions organizations receive from major league consulting
firms. One example is AT&T which spent "by conservative estimate" nearly
half a billion dollars on consultants between 1989 and 1994. The amazing
thing, though, note the authors is that the company seems as confused
today as it was from the start. "It has lurched and shifted from
strategy to strategy, from consulting house to consulting house, all
without landing anything that seems to have provided much help with the
challenge of finding a strategic resting place, a market position, a
plan, that could give it some leadership and some stability during
troubled times."

____________________________

THE BUSINESS ADVICE INDUSTRY
____________________________

Eric Abrahamson of Columbia University teaches a course on management
fashions. His research suggests there is a business-knowledge-producing
community made from such components as business schools, books,
publishing, periodicals and consulting. Abrahamson suggests that all of
these that compete to advance/impart cutting edge business
information/knowledge. In fact, business schools' long-term survival
depends on their strategic positioning within this community.

Many are probably familiar with key management/business fads of the past
fifteen years such as Re-Engineering, Management by Objectives,
T-Groups, Matrix Management, Management Grids and Empowerment. Like a
bunch of consumer products, they have come and gone and management is
left wondering if the management field as been increased or simply
confused to a greater extent.

One of the key management fashions Professor Abrahamson has investigated
is Quality Control Circles. These reached their height of popularity in
1981 and 1982. He found that what was written about them was
"unreasoned, emotional, unqualifiedly positive." However, when the
emotional content plummeted and negative content arose, the number of
articles fell. By 1993, the great majority of firms that had adopted
Quality Circles had abandoned the technique. But Abrahamson notes that
the academic press kept focusing on it even though the popular press had
lost interest. The reason the popular press abandoned the concept,
though, was that it had found a new "fashion" in Job Enrichment, a new
concept replacing Quality Control.

Studying similar decline-replacement situations, Abrahamson reached the
illuminating conclusion that "The collapse of a fashion leaves a void in
discourse that management-fashion setters must fill with a discourse
launching the next fashion." This is necessary to keep the entire
industry of discourse production in business alive.

____________________________

THE DATA SMOG OF THE FUTURE
____________________________

Abrahamson's thoughts seem familiar to those Thomas Kuhn (1922-1996)
noted about scientific paradigms in his important book The Structure of
Scientific Revolutions. Kuhn argued that scientific advancement is not
evolutionary, but rather is a "series of peaceful interludes punctuated
by intellectually violent revolutions" where "one conceptual world view
is replaced by another."

In many ways, it seems that the only true evolution in business theory
has been the evolution of discourse with its increasing brands of
theories propounded by our various business schools, marketing academics
and consulting firms. Like new cars each year, it is imperative that
this "business-knowledge-producing community" spew out new theories each
year so that it will continue to grow. The growth of individual
businesses takes on less importance in this scenario than growth of the
business advice industry.

The overall paradigm pushed on us is that more data and information,
more theories, will somehow give us more knowledge and even more wisdom.
The paradigm is at the heart of the information economy and drives the
idea-branding business.

Yet we need to ask whether more information without more connection
between its various elements is desirable or even possible in a late
capital economy of increased products and branding. We need to look
around at our lives and businesses and ask how much we have truly
learned from all the pundits and whether we have really progressed to
new insights or whether we are caught in the seasonal parade of new
ideas going nowhere except to the bank accounts of the advice givers.

But hope seems to spring eternal even in our era of increasing "now more
than ever" hype. And that final "answer" might just be in that next
seminar, that next business book, that new consultant.

It might be in this nebulous "data smog-filled" future for it certainly
hasn't been in the clear blue information-free skies of our past.

© 1999 - John Fraim

INSIGHTS is a free publication sent regularly to a list composed of
leading ...

• Film Companies
• Advertising Firms
• PR Firms
• Business Leaders
• University Professors
• Business Publications
• Internet Entrepreneurs
• Market Research & Public Opinion Firms
• Business & Coummunication Organizations

Comments? Someone we should include on our email list?
Please send to us at ... [log in to unmask]

John Fraim, President
The GreatHouse Company
5422 Diane Way
Santa Rosa, CA 95409
707-537-8749

The GreatHouse Company is a research, consulting and publishing firm
with a focus in the area of symbolism and popular culture. GreatHouse
monitors and comments on popular culture trends and products (films, TV,
advertising, internet sites, books, songs, toys, cars, magazines, etc.)
as well as leading edge business and marketing ideas. GreatHouse has
created and maintains a relational database (FileMaker Pro) on leading
products and brands of popular culture. INSIGHTS is a regular internet
publication from GreatHouse. Coming soon to a "screen" near you - our
website on symbolism ... Symbolism.Org.

John Fraim has been an analyst with one of the world's largest
corporations, President of a Bay Area marketing consulting firm and a
corporate marketing executive. He has a BA in History from UCLA and a JD
from Loyola Law School (LA). His book Spirit Catcher won the 1997 Small
Press Award and his articles have appeared in a number of leading
publications. He is a member of Publishers Marketing Association and the
American Marketing Association and lives in the Sonoma County area of
northern California.

Forthcoming From GreatHouse ---
•Symbolism of Place:The Hidden Context of Story (Fall 1999)
•The Symbolism of Popular Culture:Dynamics of Leading Brands, Products
and Entertainment Genre (Spring 2000)

Some Advance Comments on Symbolism of Place ...

"John Fraim's Symbolism of Place is a veritable feast for the mind and
heart! A must-read for all storytellers for the screen, page or
crackling campfire!"

Lew Hunter
Former Chairman, UCLA Screenwriting Department

"John Fraim's Symbolism of Place succeeds in fulfilling a very ambitious
vision - to understand the psychological, dramatic, and cultural
significance of place in the stories we tell and the stories we watch
closely in film, television, and advertising. He establishes highly
original uses of analytic psychology and unique research methods that
permit him to monitor cultural changes, and he offers his insights with
fine narrative skill. The book is truly excellent."

Donald Williams
Training Analyst, Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts
Founding Editor of WWW.CGJUNG.COM

"John Fraim's book about the vocabulary and syntax of 'place,' and how
these are used by the popular media, comes on the heels of several other
works concerned with the communication value of place, space and
territorial borders. It is curious, but not serendipitous, that such
works are appearing just as our rootedness in physical places and
communities is being eroded by the mass media and emerging digital
technologies. So Fraim offers readers a powerful reminder of the
symbolism of place - that communication invariably takes place in
context, and that physical context takes on powerful semiotic features
psychology, semiotics, and popular culture studies to make his argument,
offering readers - those of us on the receiving end of mass messages,
and related messages - a path out of cynicism and conventional media
criticism, to informed analysis and insight."

Stuart J. Sigman, Ph.D.
Dean, School of Communication, Management & Public Policy,
Emerson College
Consulting Editor, The GreatHouse Company

"A well thought out piece tracing the importance and potency that place
symbolism has in communications. What is detailed in an academic fashion
herein Hollywood became aware of in the late 40s or earlier when they
closed down their studios and realized that they must turn the whole
countryside into their studio. This is a fine exploration and
examination. A most interesting piece of work."

Nelson Thall
Director of the McLuhan Project
Center for Media Studies, University of Toronto

"John Fraim is an engaging writer, with genuinely important insights
into modern life and culture. Symbolism of Place is sure to be a major
publiX-Mozilla-Status: 0009aber, Ph.D
Professor of English Literature Emeritus, University of British Columbia

Recent Fraim On The Web ...

The Symbolism of Popular Culture
http://www.cgjung.com/insights1.html

The Organization As Patient?
http://www.cgjung.com/insights2.html

Collaborative Filtering
http://www.cgjung.com/insights3.html

The Symbolism of UFOs and Aliens
http://www.cgjung.com/articles/fraim3.html

Differentiating Ourselves To Death
http://www.jungindex.net/1.htm

The Internet Store
http://www.jungindex.net/2.htm

The Subliminal Persuasion of Contact
http://www.cgjung.com/films/contact.html

Visionary Rumors:The Symbolism of The Psychoanalytic Movement
http://www.cgjung.com/articles/fraim1.html
(Originally appeared in Psychological Perspectives,1995)