Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  June 1999

BRCA-L June 1999

other breast cancer review options

Breast Cancer Online Support Group <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:17:58 EDT

text/plain

Hello all,
Back home from our trip 'out west,' I am sharing the contact information for
other breast cancer review options. (note comments on DOD review at end)

CA-BCRP (selection in Jan-Feb, reviews in Mar-Apr)
call 1-888/313-BCRP (2277) and/or send breast cancer advocate resume to:
Breast Cancer Research Program, University of California, Office of the
President, 300 Lakeside Drive, 12th floor, Oakland CA 94612-3550
(I understand several other states are setting up breast cancer
grants/reviews and may be interested in inviting advocates to participate,
but I don't know which states those are. Also American Cancer Society may
decide to invite advocates to participate in their reviews in the future.
Hang on...there may be many more review opportunities just around the corner!)

Komen (selection in Apr-May, reviews in May-Jun)
call Elda Railey at 1-972-855-1610 or email [log in to unmask] or write
Elda Railey, Director of Grants and Sponsored Programs, Susan G. Koman
Foundation, 5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 370, Dallas Texas, 75244

NCI Office of Liaison Activities (in process of setting up advocacy
involvement)
call 1-301/594-3194 or write
Office of Liaison Activities, Building 31, Room 10A06, 31 Center Drive, MSC
2580, Bethesda, MD, 20892-2580

This morning I spoke to Lisa McCall at UIS (returning her call) about being a
mentor reviewer this year. This is what she told me is the situation THIS
year: Because of the growing pool of experienced reviewers, there are more
than are needed now. In order to a) 'bring in new blood' and b) 'share the
honor' (both my phrases), UIS is asking some advocates with several years'
experience to 'rotate off' for a time and inviting others with a little less
experience to participate. There are about 200 interested potential mentor
advocate reviewers at this time who have received letters inviting them to be
considered as mentor advocate reviewers - probably more than they will need.
UIS may use a lottery to choose among those, and will inform them around the
end of June.

Hope this is helpful.....
Barbara Parker