]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BRCA-L Home

BRCA-L  June 1999

BRCA-L June 1999

Re: Need some charges up Capitol Hill - DoD BrCa and ProCa pro

Breast Cancer Online Support Group <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:41:29 EDT

text/plain

Hi everyone:

Here in Wisconsin we made the DOD a very high priority early on.  In the
past, in our state, DOD support was very partisan-only Democrats.  We decided
early in March to change that and go after every Republican Representative
(both our senators have supported DOD every year).  We were successful in
getting all but one this year=giving us a 40% increase over last year.  Here
was our strategy:

1.  Get former supporters on the list
2. Go after the new freshmen in Congress-(we have three.) before they get
committed to other causes.
3. Hold congressional district meetings with as many as possible.  We felt it
was important for these Congresspersons to meet with their constituents-their
voters.  As state coordinator I put together a packet of info-briefing papers
and talking points-Here is what your congressperson will say-this is your
response, type of thing.
4. We told  our Senators and Representatives we are going to put photos in
our newsletter of each one who signed on-newsletter gets distributed to about
3,000 individuals.  Believe it or not-this was a big incentive.
5. We informed each that we send out our own report card to approx 3000
persons with the voting/support record.  We did that last year-and we include
our senators and Representatives on our mailing list so they know we carry
through with what we say.

Some how this brought about a 40% increase over last year.  Rep Obey can't
sign because of his committee position and one Representative would still not
sign-all the rest did.  We were able to get one rep to sign on who has never
ever signed on to any of our priorities in the past.

I thought the sign on process was closed.  If it is still open-I hope my
suggestions will be helpful to you in getting more support-either this year
or in the future.

Kathleen Harris   State coordinator-Wisconsin Breast Cancer Coalition