Help for PSYART Archives

PSYART Archives

Subject: Re: Thanks --> delight / More etymology
From: Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:30:33 -0400

From:
        "Izzy (Israel) Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>

4:37 AM

Dr. Heesacker -

Thanks for the thanks. Here's your pun-ishment.

Waruno Mahdi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In descriptions of Palauan, the language of Palau / Belau (an
> Island in the Pacific somewhere midway between New Guinea and the
> Marianas) made at the beginning of this century, the regular reflex
> of Proto-Austronesian *R was a voiced velar fricative, often
> transcribed _gh_. During the late 1940s and early 1950s it
> was noted, that this had been replaced by a glottal stop _?_
> in the speech of young persons who grew up in the 1940s.
> When Klaus Pa"tzold wrote his thesis on the historical phonology
> of Palauan in 1968, there were no remnants of the older reflex
> anymore, and everybody had the glottal stop in its place.

I believe something very similar has happened with the Hebrew aleph.
The ancient aleph seems to be parallel to GHT/CHT in Germanic
languages. The less-ancient aleph seems parallel to T/D. And the
current aleph is considered to be a glottal stop that is almost a
silent "place holder".

Like Greek, Hebrew also uses the alphabet for numbers. Aleph is 1,
Bet is 2, etc. Today, the adjective "one" is written aleph-het-dalet
eKHaD or aleph-het-saf aKHaS or aKHaT (Sephardic). Its original
shape (like an upside down A) is thought to represent the head of
an ox (Germ ochse). I think the ancient aleph was pronounced
somewhat like the number one is pronounced in Hebrew today.

After the aleph lost its sound, the aleph in aleph-bet = 1-2
would be replaced by het-shin yielding het-shin-bet = to count.
I call this the "Old Whine New Bottle" phenomena. That is,
the newer letters form a word which approximates the original
sound of the older word.

Treating the aleph as GHT provides Hebrew parallels to most
English words that now end with GHT except thX-Mozilla-Status: 0009ng) verbs which do not have a T sound in their present tense.
A list of these words is available via email.

It is noteworthy that for these etymons, the aleph is uniformly at
the beginning of the Hebrew word. That is, aleph-C1-(C2) is
parallel to C1-(C2)-GHT. Compare this with Belova's law in
which Egyptian *y/wC1C2 corresponds to Semitic *C1y/wC2.

Examples:
LiGHT < aleph-oh-resh ?oR = light (with resh-L parallel)
DeLiGHT < aleph-oh-shin-resh ?oSHeR = delight (with shin-D/T parallel)

yod-shin-resh YaSHaR means "straight, upright" but it also means
"to give pleasure". So my name (and the name of the country) can
mean "to give pleasure (to) G-d". On an anthropomorphic map
of this area of the world, it is the male member of the body
(probably the body of Hermes, who used to live at Mt. Hermon)
which gives pleasure when "upright".

Previously, this area was called CaNa3aN (where 3 = aiyin,
which had a G/K velar sound, as in Gaza). That name is a
reversal of 3oNeG = pleasure. I think it had been the female
member (canal / channel) of Aphrodite's body. The change
in name represented a change in sovereignty from Africa to
Asia Minor.

It's interesting (from a cognitive linguistics viewpoint) that the
names of those body parts which give pleasure (PhaLLuS)
become the word for PLeaSure.

Let me know if you haven't seen the body-part maps of Hermes
[from Ukraine = cranium to Yemen = right (foot)] and Aphrodite
[from Morocco = reverse of cranium to Somalia = left (foot)].
They're still "connected" at Sinai = (noun) snatch < reversal
of KNiSah = entrance (to her body).

Discerning readers will immediately note the earth-shaking
implications for plate tectonics and continental drift.  :-)

Israel "izzy" Cohen