Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CMPLAW-L Home

CMPLAW-L  October 1999

CMPLAW-L October 1999

Re: Domain Name Questions

Internet and Computer Law Association <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:33:40 EDT

text/plain

I think the real reason is that firms and individuals seek domain names that
reflect their long-held trademark names and advertising logos exactly. For
example, I am known as the CyberPoet, having had that moniker professionally
and privately since 1979; currently www.cyberpoet.com is held by a poetry &
art place in St. Paul, MN -- previously it was held by computer consulting
firm in California. I would not be interested in accepting Cyber-Poet,
Cberpoet.com, CyberPoets.com, Cybrpoet.com, etc. I might settle for a .net
address, but that doesn't reflect the fact that I am in business under that
name; my clients always look for me at www.cyberpoet.com and are suprised
when they don't find me there...

I hope that clears up the reason why litigation about domain names exists.
-- Marc