Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: logic problem

"John M. Flanigan" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:20:02 -1000

TEXT/PLAIN

Am I the only one bothered by this train of thought? The students-not the
professor-are the best judges of pedagogy? During my years at college, I
fought professors tooth and nail over certain concepts. I was young and
untutored. They were not. They were almost always right. I gained from the
confrontations, from the opportunity they almost always gave for me to
display my relative ignorance, and to recognize it for what it was. And
ultimately, I gained from their superior knowledge of the subject. Would I
have been happier had they just given me problems to solve at my leisure.
Sure. Would I have learned as much as I did by working my butt off trying
to keep up with their "too fast" pace? Of course not!

John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
4303 Diamond Head Road                              --Bill Walton
Honolulu HI  96816                      History is the final arbiter.
(808) 734-9371                                      --Edward Gibbon

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Helen M. Sabin wrote:

> Hi ALL-
> There is a great book called Teaching Tips for College and University
> Professors by Mckeachie, 1999.  -There is one statement we should all
> realize:  the research has proven that students find professors ideas,
> and professors the least effective means of learning!  The system
> described in this message is the best way to go.  Students like to be
> given problems nd then left to solve them.  the teacher should be a
> guide not the answer.  Pat, good for you on this method!
> Helen Sabin
> Patrick Schutz wrote:
> >
> > Greetings to Peacenik Steve and the List,
> >
> > On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Steven Runge wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to believe there must be some way to reach the students that
> > > his methods aren't reaching. Has anyone out there found some workable
> > > approaches to teaching logic? I'm thinking that there must be some
> > > method more adaptable to aural or kinesthetic (or other) learners.
> >
> > Have you or your friend tried to have the students teach the class
> > sessions on logic?
> >
> > For years, I have struggled with the problem of trying to find an
> > effective way of teaching certain concepts in Organizational Behavior
> > classes.  Several of these concepts seem to allude at least half of the
> > class each semester.
> >
> > One time, out of desperation, I divided the class into learning groups and
> > gave each group a segment of my prepared class notes for that evening.
> > Instructions to the students included brief training on group learning,
> > some designated roles, and then some suggestions as to how each group
> > might present their "chunk" of class material to the rest of us.
> > Certainly, the subsequent times I tried this, I refined the gambit
> > considerably using more sophisticated andragogical techniques.  At any rate,
> > this approach worked well, and most of the students learned the material more
> > readily and retained it longer than they did when I used other approaches.
> >
> > A similar technique was documented whereby the groups were more clearly
> > identified and their roles more specific.  Elliot Aronson and Rober Slavin
> > called their version of this technique the Jigsaw (Slavin, R.E., 1990.
> > Cooperative Learning. Needham Heights, MA; Allyn & Bacon)
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Pat Schutz

December 2020
November 2020