]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  November 1999, Week 4

PSYART November 1999, Week 4

Re: .Thanksgivign greetings from Michael Moore

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Nov 1999 16:54:44 -0500

text/plain

From:
        "Rebecca W. Meredith" <[log in to unmask]>

2:06 PM

THought I'd throw in a local (Seattle) reaction to the WTO meeting.

The city of Seattle will largely be shut down on Tuesday, Nov. 30th.  I
believe the current estimate for protesters is at 30,000.  Classes at the
university I attend, which happens to be very near the staging area for the
main body of protesters, will be closed that day.  Personally, I doubt that
I'll make it on time to a single appointment next week, but I aim to try.
That said, the milieu around the meeting is fascinating, but I don't know
what to think of it.

Like me, the locals seem by and large to be conflicted about the event.
The fact is, the WTO does exist and is a BIG machine.  Human rights
organizations are, in my opinion, right in protesting some appalling
violations.  The question in my mind, an old one, is how to work from the
inside so that the watchdog organizations can have some kind of effect.
How effective will the protests be? Are we foolish in thinking that any
significant number of citizens would be willing to slide out of denial and
face the issues at hand?  Do we look further than our own immediate circles
(as a population; I understand that there are certainly many committed
people who work for change) when we form our daily world view?  I say this
as a comfortable, middle-everything woman who probably lives as many
convictions as is convenient.  Tough to admit, but true. I write, I study,
and I explore the psychological issues that underlie events such as these.
I would like to hear from others as to their reactions to the WTO and the
protests as they happen.  Does it loom high on your horizon or is it
something "elsewhere" and "other"?

Respectfully,
Rebecca